2019 Ranger recommendation for rear shock upgrade

muzicman0

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I drive almost exclusively on road. I also currently don't ever tow anything (but we are looking at a small Tear-drop style trailer). There are 1,987,456 topics about what shocks to upgrade to (ok, I exaggerate!), and I felt my head spinning trying to figure it out.

I mostly want a smooth ride. My wife complains that my truck rides rough, and if I go over a speed bump, it is pretty bad.

Can someone point me to what I want to get? Don't have a ton of money to throw at it, so I was thinking the Bilstein 4600's, but I also read that they can feel stiff, which I think is the opposite of what I am looking for!

Anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Some people might be confusing 'stiff' with 'controlled' The 4600's are a really good riding all-around shock, although I would recommend doing all 4 corners for the best results.

Coming from the FX2 shocks on my trucks which managed to be too soft, and crashy at the same time, the Bilsteins are a different world altogether.

At the end of the day, you're in a truck and there's only so much you can do to take the 'truck' out of the ride.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
How hard are the front shocks to do?

[EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the reply!!]
For a shop with the proper tools, not hard.

For a home gamer with a set of death stick spring compressors, still not hard. You just have to be comfortable with popping a ball joint loose (and pulling the axle loose if it is a 4wd truck).

Took me a couple hours on a lazy afternoon.

OP
OP
muzicman0

muzicman0

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
it's RWD. It would be a DIY. Just been a long time since I have done anything with a spring compressor, and the older I get the more that kind of stuff scares me!! I may just start with the rear and see how it goes.

Really appreciate the help.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
They are not hard. Could probably get a local shop to swap the spring cheap if you removed it and took it there. Avoids the death trap loaner tool.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How hard are the front shocks to do?

[EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the reply!!]
Go to the auto parts store and buy some ball joint pullers. Remove the brake calipers and rotors and knock the axle loose from the hub. Swapping the strut takes 20-30 minutes if you do these small steps.

My ears are still ringing from trying to get the tie rod end out with a mallet. Puller had it out in a few seconds.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
The front coil over shocks are simple enough on a 2WD Ranger but you still might need some specific tools. If you have aluminum steering knuckles, there’s no need for a removal tool. Different story if you have black cast iron knuckles.

You can also make life easier by choosing coil overs that include the spring and don’t require you to swap your OEM springs onto the new shocks.

It’s worth getting a quote from a shop for this but make sure they understand it’s for a 2WD Ranger and whether or not the new front shocks will have their own coil overs already installed. It should include a wheel alignment.

With all that said, most comments about Ranger OEM suspension is that it’s too soft or squishy. My shock upgrade got rid of that softer, sedan-like ride and made it stiffer, less bouncy, more planted - exactly what I wanted. Your wife may not like it.

Find a Tremor Ranger for sale and take it for a test drive - it has the Fox Ford Performance shock upgrade and will give you an idea of the ride characteristics of swapping out your OEM shocks.

Good luck Steven. đź‘Ť

Cinci36

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Mail handler
My wife called my truck the abortion machine when i got her, eibach front adjustable coil overs, eibach rear shocks, hewlig anti sway bar and icon rear springs, now I can pull anything in comfort, and my truck lost the title of abortion machine... my freind at work with same ranger model, cannot believe the ride an comfort, but rember your in a narrow high truck and can at times do that side to side motion going over speed bumps if your not straight, but not as bad..

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I drive almost exclusively on road. I also currently don't ever tow anything (but we are looking at a small Tear-drop style trailer). There are 1,987,456 topics about what shocks to upgrade to (ok, I exaggerate!), and I felt my head spinning trying to figure it out.

I mostly want a smooth ride. My wife complains that my truck rides rough, and if I go over a speed bump, it is pretty bad.

Can someone point me to what I want to get? Don't have a ton of money to throw at it, so I was thinking the Bilstein 4600's, but I also read that they can feel stiff, which I think is the opposite of what I am looking for!

So I initially went the rear shock upgrade path, and man was I happy with that. I had the factory fx4 up front and scored a used set of Fox 2.0 rears. The bouncing was gone, ride was much more compliant. Fox's are on the softer side, and do require periodic maintenance but I've been very happy with them. I did get the fronts after about a year of just the rears.

canuckgeek

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

Installed a set of this, too an afternoon. Be carefull, there is a nut that can fall out and be a bugger to find.
Bilstein 25-294316 Shock Absorbers
Huge improvment. I drive on unpaved roads on the regular, used to bounce all over the place. Now I get the original deflection and almost have everything settle down right away.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I think eibachs will be a good middle ground to start with in the rear. Also rear leafs might also help.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH