First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
If I did have a smart phone, and if I put SiriusXM on the smart phone, and if I connected the smart phone to the Ranger via BlueTooth, or Smart Connect , or whatever, would I then be able to control the SiriusXM app from the steering wheel buttons?

Capt'n Awesome

First Name
Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 05 Wrangler, 19 Slingshot, 04 330xi
Occupation
Enthusiast
If I did have a smart phone, and if I put SiriusXM on the smart phone, and if I connected the smart phone to the Ranger via BlueTooth, or Smart Connect , or whatever, would I then be able to control the SiriusXM app from the steering wheel buttons?
Probably not.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Some thoughts.

If you decide to use a smartphone, you’re completely missing the only compelling feature of SiriusXM, which is the satellite feed. Anything else is just music/news/talk over the cellular network, which simply isn't available in many places. It just like comparing a stand-alone GPS receiver (Garmin, etc.) to Google or Apple Maps.

Your best shot at getting SiriusXM to work with the steering wheel controls is probably to connect the satellite receiver directly to the in-dash head unit. This may or may not be possible with the factory radio. If not, you’ll want to find a replacement radio, and it’s pretty easy to find them with the SiriusXM capability built in. Car stereo manufacturers may not yet have a bolt-in replacement for the factory radio, since the Ranger is so new, but they will get there if you’re willing to wait. Crutchfield.com is a good information source for compatibility info.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Some thoughts.

If you decide to use a smartphone, you’re completely missing the only compelling feature of SiriusXM, which is the satellite feed. Anything else is just music/news/talk over the cellular network, which simply isn't available in many places. It just like comparing a stand-alone GPS receiver (Garmin, etc.) to Google or Apple Maps.

Your best shot at getting SiriusXM to work with the steering wheel controls is probably to connect the satellite receiver directly to the in-dash head unit. This may or may not be possible with the factory radio. If not, you’ll want to find a replacement radio, and it’s pretty easy to find them with the SiriusXM capability built in. Car stereo manufacturers may not yet have a bolt-in replacement for the factory radio, since the Ranger is so new, but they will get there if you’re willing to wait. Crutchfield.com is a good information source for compatibility info.
Most after market head units rarely integrate directly with factory steering wheel controls. Of the ones that do support this almost always require a third party translator adapter to connect the two system together. There are a few head units out there that do show to fit the Ranger XL, will work with the controls (with adapters), and are SiriusXM ready but would require professional installation. To add one of these units would run $5-700 for just about everything needed.

The other option is to luck out and find an XLT with factory satellite radio equipped at a wrecking yard and pull all the needed components to upgrade and retain 100% factory appearance and functionality. Cost wise it's probably about the same as an aftermarket solution would be.

Here is a parts breakdown of the XLT sound system.
https://www.youroempartsstore.com/v-2020-ford-ranger--xlt--2-3l-l4-gas/body--sound-system

Last edited:

OP
OP

UserHCC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I think SiriusXM is only available in the XLT and Lariat models. I have XL, so that's why I did not see it as an available option.

OP
OP

UserHCC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
https://shop.siriusxm.com/siriusxm-sxv300-connect-vehicle-tuner.html

I’ve seen lots of these In older cars. You can contact them directly and ask about connecting it to your factory radio. The have a strong financial interest in making it work, so you should get good info from them.
This looks like my best option. I will let you know how it goes. How does this unit connect to the existing radio?

After further research, this solution requires a factory radio that is "SiriusXM Ready". I don't know if the standard radio in my Ranger XL is SiriusXM Ready. I don't know how to find out. But, I don't see any logo's for this in the user manual, so I'm assuming it isn't.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
This looks like my best option. I will let you know how it goes. How does this unit connect to the existing radio?
I think it needs an AUX IN socket on the head unit, like you would have for an accessory CD player, or some similar workaround. Once upon a time, you could connect the SiriusXM receiver to a transmitter that broadcast a very weak FM signal inside the car that you could tune the radio to receive. It’s probably been 15 years since I last saw one.

OP
OP

UserHCC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
This company sells a product that supposedly allows you to control their SiriusXM radio with the factory controls (even the Steering Wheel controls).

https://www.vaistech.com/how-to-install-sirius-xm-radio/

They have a product for the 2020 Ford Ranger. It costs $340. I have no idea how well it works.

Last edited:

Hedgie

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt , 2014 Harley triglide
Occupation
Retired firefighter/medic
Try calling the dealership and ask them what you would need

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think SiriusXM is only available in the XLT and Lariat models. I have XL, so that's why I did not see it as an available option.
You would have sirusxm in your XL if you selected the SYNC option shown in my previous post.
I was probably unclear about that.

OP
OP

UserHCC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
There are a few head units out there that do show to fit the Ranger XL, will work with the controls (with adapters), and are SiriusXM ready but would require professional installation. To add one of these units would run $5-700 for just about everything needed.
What products are you referring to? I can't find any head units that works with the factory controls.

Also, all the head units I found will disable to backup camera.

OP
OP

UserHCC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
You would have sirusxm in your XL if you selected the SYNC option shown in my previous post.
Are you sure? I have XL and I have SYNC. But, I don't seem to have SiriusXM. What makes you think this? I think you need SYNC 3 (not just SYNC).

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Are you sure? I have XL and I have SYNC. But, I don't seem to have SiriusXM. What makes you think this?
Just because you have bluetooth doesn't mean you have sync.
Just tryin to help. :confused:

Post up your vin if you're comfortable with that, and I can check the window sticker.
Sponsored