John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone interested in doing the Wyoming BDR in 2023? I'm itching to do it this year but my summer is booked already - this would give us time to get organized and work out logistics of the rally points to get everyone together.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
John, I asked the Admin to add a Trip Reports & Journals section like the other forums have. If you want you can post this there and I'll delete this one. I think you'll get more exposure there.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/forums/trip-reports-journals.101/
Great! Although I got excited that you are going to be the first taker. If I don't get much traction on Wyoming I might go back to my original plan of hitting the AZ BDR next spring or fall instead.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
@AzScorpion I re-posted it. Go ahead and kill this one. Thanks!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Great! Although I got excited that you are going to be the first taker. If I don't get much traction on Wyoming I might go back to my original plan of hitting the AZ BDR next spring or fall instead.
I had to look that up as I never heard of it, especially the one here in AZ. Looks like a great time and you'll have to let me know if you're out this way. We'll see a little of WY on this trip but we're hoping to do another next year and cover more along with Yellowstone.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I had to look that up as I never heard of it, especially the one here in AZ. Looks like a great time and you'll have to let me know if you're out this way. We'll see a little of WY on this trip but we're hoping to do another next year and cover more along with Yellowstone.
I really like what I've seen/read of the AZ one and I have a buddy in AZ willing to meet for that one but the organizers say that the WY is some of the most isolated country they have on any of the routes. That is super appealing to me but at the same time having dug for dinosaurs for a job for a few years in Montana, I also know that is not solo road trip country out there.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I really like what I've seen/read of the AZ one and I have a buddy in AZ willing to meet for that one but the organizers say that the WY is some of the most isolated country they have on any of the routes. That is super appealing to me but at the same time having dug for dinosaurs for a job for a few years in Montana, I also know that is not solo road trip country out there.
What part of AZ is it? I watched the video on your link and it looks like there's some pretty desolate areas out there. Looks fun though and makes me wish I still rode motorcycles. That'll keep you in shape!

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
What part of AZ is it? I watched the video on your link and it looks like there's some pretty desolate areas out there. Looks fun though and makes me wish I still rode motorcycles. That'll keep you in shape!
It runs north to south from border near Bisbee all the way to Globe.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It runs north to south from border near Bisbee all the way to Globe.
I'm on the other side of the valley but that's a great area over there. We went down to Bisbee and Tombstone a few years back and if you do get down here I'd recommend checking those areas out. I had more fun in Tombstone as it's an old western town and they have replicated gun fights and people walking around in older cloths from that era. Bisbee was just ok but I don't care for antiques and all that artsy fartsy stuff but if you do it's loaded with shops like that.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So I've never heard of BDR before... and after looking it up, I love the concept... Other people putting together a route full of fun adventurous stuff, count me in. However, I see it's designed for bikes... Any reason we can't follow the routes in our trucks?

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
So I've never heard of BDR before... and after looking it up, I love the concept... Other people putting together a route full of fun adventurous stuff, count me in. However, I see it's designed for bikes... Any reason we can't follow the routes in our trucks?
The organization that plans them are adventure bike riders and do it with that purpose in mind but all of the routes are on public access roads and open to any vehicles that can handle them. Depending on the state and the section, some of the roads aren't really roads and more of a two-track trail. Not really off-roading for a 4x4, but gets you into the remote areas.

Other sites/organizations do the same thing but refer to their route as an overland route. The OOAT and GOAT are two examples in the Ozarks and Oklahoma for example.

I'm doing a section of the Washington BDR this summer, which is one of the more tame ones and is heavily used by overlanders.

As to not feel guilty about using someone's hard research, I bought the map and paid the $30 or whatever for a membership to BDR.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see a Ranger Rally every year where we pick a different BDR or overland route.
Sponsored