kevinom183

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi all-

I have a 2019 Ranger Lariat @58,XXX miles. Have owned since 14k. I remote started the truck leaving work and got into the cabin to find a check engine and powertrain light on. I drove it a couple minutes away to a gas station with reduced acceleration and some bucking when the gas petal was released. Restarted at the gas station and once it starts up, the engine surges briefly but idles normal. I had a co worker look at it on the spot and he unplugged the MAF sensor and nothing happened. Ford app says a fault detected with the engines temperature sensors or associated wiring. I left the truck at work and came back the next day with a $50 Bluetooth Walmart OBD reader. The OBD reader displayed codes for lost communication with turbocharger boost sensor A (U060B), and IAT sensor circuit high input (P0113). I took it around the corner to a local tow shop that does small repairs and he hooked up his scanner and found multiple other codes: P0098, P0108, P1474, U060B. He said weā€™d have to take it in somewhere for a more extensive diagnostic (tow company is our contract tow company for my job, so he did this for free since I was an employee with my job). Iā€™m strapped for cash right now and was wondering if anyone had opinions on this or any basic things I could try? Is it normal for the engine to run when the MAF is cut off? Would that be causing the other codes to be thrown? I used to do common replacements myself when I owned an ā€˜06 Ford P71 like coil packs, sparks, oil changes, minor electric stuff, etc. But this engine makes my head hurt just by looking at it haha. My mechanical experience is very limited. Obviously if itā€™s beyond replacing one of those basic sensors Iā€™ll be taking her into the shop. Attached below in a separate reply are photos with the codes. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP

kevinom183

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
IMG_0646.png
IMG_0650.png
IMG_0652.jpeg

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I will have to do some digging for the codes when I get a chance - but one thing noted - the ranger does not have a MAF sensor

Wang.S

Banned
Banned
First Name
Wang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5G
Occupation
Tech
your mechanic needs to peel off the screen protector. I hurt my eyes trying to read that with the glare and scratches.
does he also leave his mattresses wrapped in the plastic?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The first thing I would do is clear all the codes, as I suspect the IAT (that is installed in the inlet tube going to the air filter) was disconnected (This is not the MAF sensor) The Ranger uses the MAP sensor, which has a dual purpose, Manifold Pressure/Temperature.
If either the IAT (Intake Air Temp) or Map Sensor was disconnected with engine running will generate fault codes. So, I think the following codes were self-induced.
P0113 - IAT Circuit
P0098 - IAT Circuit
P0108 - MAP Circuit
An open circuit will trip these codes (Connector Pulled)

Code: P1464 - Tripped due to having AC running when scan tool did self-test, nothing to worry about. Basically, the PCM could not complete the test due to AC being requested on.

Code: U060B. You may try reseating the connector on this to see if code goes away but clear all codes with scan tool after you do it.
Here is a basic troubleshoot for it, this is a simplified version.

Now, for your Turbo Charge Boost Press Sensor. I would say its failed or wiring to it.
If you view live data with scan tool
Look for TCBP: you should see
KOEO = Key On Engine Off 1.43 Volts or 14.53 PSI
Hot Idle: 1.44 Volts or 14.55 PSI

If you do not see the above, then disconnect the connector at the TCBP Sensor and measure voltage between:
VREF and Signal Return you should see 4.5 to 5.5 volts (KOEO)
Pin 3 = VREF
Pin 2 = Signal Return
If this voltage is good, then replace the sensor.
Note: This sensor is powered by the 5-volt Reference Circuit, not the normal 12 volts

TCPB - Sensor located under the panel above the radiator, just inboard of the driver's headlight.

1691328122311.png

1691328399425.png

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
The check engine ouline light popped up on my 2019 with 67000 miles. Checked oil water etc all ok, the truck was running fine.
I called the dealer for an appointment soonest 10 days out.
I read somewhere it might have something to do with the fuel filler flap seal, so went to the gas station filled it up and wiped off the flap seal area, back in the truck cranked her up, no check engine light, that was 3 days ago running fine.
Steve W

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
Check engine light on again yesterday! According to Ford app something to do with the catalytic converter
will bring it by the dealer tomorrow.
Sponsored