Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Hi all,
I've been having trouble, with my Wi-Fi and Ford Pass app connecting to the Ranger. After troubleshooting for about an hour with Sync and Ford Pass helpline, they're telling me I need a new modem. During the conversation, they were telling me to go to settings, general and hit the Ford Pass reset button, the button doesn’t show and I don’t recall seeing it before. Can someone please confirm that there is a FordPass reset button for me? I’m at almost 37,000 miles and it doesn’t look like they’re gonna be fixing it under warranty and it costs of around $1000, which kind of sucks.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, did they mean Settings in your truck or in the FordPass app? I don’t see it on the app.

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Hi all,
I've been having trouble, with my Wi-Fi and Ford Pass app connecting to the Ranger. After troubleshooting for about an hour with Sync and Ford Pass helpline, they're telling me I need a new modem. During the conversation, they were telling me to go to settings, general and hit the Ford Pass reset button, the button doesn’t show and I don’t recall seeing it before. Can someone please confirm that there is a FordPass reset button for me? I’m at almost 37,000 miles and it doesn’t look like they’re gonna be fixing it under warranty and it costs of around $1000, which kind of sucks.

Thanks for your help!
If modem serial number is blank in Sync settings screen, try pulling F9 fuse in the driver's side fuse panel to re-boot the modem.

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If modem serial number is blank in Sync settings screen, try pulling F9 fuse in the driver's side fuse panel to re-boot the modem.
I pulled fuse 9 and disconnected the battery with no luck. I was hoping it would be an easy fix since I can still see the serial number.
Thanks for suggesting that. :like:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I will try to help:

Things to try
Connect Phone via cable, to force a connection with truck and have Bluetooth enabled.

With Sync Screen

Main Page (1st Page) Screen

General
At bottom of screen - Master Reset (Not Ford Pass), note this resets everything to factory - So Nav, Radio Etc Presets will be lost

Vehicle - You should see On-Board Modem Ser #, If yes then its powered up

On Sync Screen- Swipe Left - to view next screen
You will see Ford Pass Connect (App) (Truck - Not Phone)
You will see (2) selections.
Hot Spot
Connectivity Settings - This one has options to turn it off and on

I cannot remember for sure if the Ford Pass Connect, can be deleted on the truck or not, but give that a try, or at least see if you can delete the truck profile and reinstall it.

Phone Settings:
Ensure Ford Pass is completely updated to current version.
Try deleting app and reinstalling it
Re-Power your phone, has been a positive fix for some.

If you have a scanner or Forscan, see if you have any codes.
Try a TCU Module reset with Scanner

And, most importantly since this ties in with battery voltage, you may want to check the battery.
This is one of the signs of battery going out, the BMS system might be disabling it.
So if all other options are (No-Help) charge battery and see if that fixes the issue.

Thats all the options I can think of without pulling and reseating the connections on the TCU itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will try to help:

Things to try
Connect Phone via cable, to force a connection with truck and have Bluetooth enabled.

With Sync Screen

Main Page (1st Page) Screen

General
At bottom of screen - Master Reset (Not Ford Pass), note this resets everything to factory - So Nav, Radio Etc Presets will be lost

Vehicle - You should see On-Board Modem Ser #, If yes then its powered up

On Sync Screen- Swipe Left - to view next screen
You will see Ford Pass Connect (App) (Truck - Not Phone)
You will see (2) selections.
Hot Spot
Connectivity Settings - This one has options to turn it off and on

I cannot remember for sure if the Ford Pass Connect, can be deleted on the truck or not, but give that a try, or at least see if you can delete the truck profile and reinstall it.

Phone Settings:
Ensure Ford Pass is completely updated to current version.
Try deleting app and reinstalling it
Re-Power your phone, has been a positive fix for some.

If you have a scanner or Forscan, see if you have any codes.
Try a TCU Module reset with Scanner

And, most importantly since this ties in with battery voltage, you may want to check the battery.
This is one of the signs of battery going out, the BMS system might be disabling it.
So if all other options are (No-Help) charge battery and see if that fixes the issue.

Thats all the options I can think of without pulling and reseating the connections on the TCU itself.
Awesome directions, I'll give it a try this weekend. This all started after the truck sat dormant for two weeks. I've been charging the battery nightly.

So I take it that there is a reset button for the Ford Pass under the general tab next to the master reset button?

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Awesome directions, I'll give it a try this weekend. This all started after the truck sat dormant for two weeks. I've been charging the battery nightly.

So I take it that there is a reset button for the Ford Pass under the general tab next to the master rest button?
No, there is not a Ford Pass Reset
Only Reset Option = Master Reset, this resets the whole sync system including all Radio, Nav, Phone Etc from the menu option.
If it sat for awhile then it sounds like the TCU is good, you just need to get it to reconnect, as it would have went into a Deep Sleep, in Deep Sleep the BMS shuts down modules

If the things I listed do not work try this, from my lengthy tutorial on the BMS system. This is a General Service Bulleting about Deep Sleep.
When you are charging the battery are you charging it correctly, not hooking up directly to the battery posts - The Negative has to hook up on body ground, not the Battery Posts, the BMS sensor has to see current flow (Charging)
There are many posts about it and a good video from a Ford Tech

You may need to do a BMS reset via Forscan, this will reset the BMS system, and the only downside it will reset the Battery install date to current date - Charging Algorithm
In all service manuals it states to only perform the BMS reset when you replace the battery.
However this General Service Bulletin, states to do it - for Deep Sleep issues.

I am assuming you have most likely lost - A/Start as well

The Trigger Voltage for Deep Sleep is about 11.5 Volts, from my research and the 9.5 volts mentioned in the GSB is a elevated deep sleep mode.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/atta...167318/?hash=e1da65d8c6c722b1079b219da661341a

I am certain that one of the options I relayed will fix the issue.

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only Reset Option = Master Reset, this resets the whole sync system including all Radio, Nav, Phone Etc from the menu option.
If it sat for awhile then it sounds like the TCU is good, you just need to get it to reconnect, as it would have went into a Deep Sleep, in Deep Sleep the BMS shuts down modules

If the things I listed do not work try this, from my lengthy tutorial on the BMS system. This is a General Service Bulleting about Deep Sleep.
When you are charging the battery are you charging it correctly, not hooking up directly to the battery posts - The Negative has to hook up on body ground, not the Battery Posts, the BMS sensor has to see current flow (Charging)

You may need to do a BMS reset via Forscan, this will reset the BMS system, and the only downside it will reset the Battery install date to current date - Charging Algorithm
It all service manuals it states to only perform the BMS reset when you replace the battery.

The Trigger Voltage for Deep Sleep is about 11.5 Volts, from my research and the 9.5 volts mentioned in the GSB is a elevated deep sleep mode.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/atta...167318/?hash=e1da65d8c6c722b1079b219da661341a

The Ford Pass tech told me over and over again to hit the Ford Pass reset button, I knew she was screwy.:crazy: Thanks for your help!:beer::handshake:

Sal0341

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sale’s Mgr
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue with my 19 Ranger where it wasn’t connecting to FordPass it was at 34700 miles but i only had 2 weeks left of warranty. They were not able to figure out issue on that visit but said they will fix if passed the 3 year mark on warranty. Two more visits later they replaced the modem and all has worked since. I was told this a rare issue and not common but now I’m starting to rethink that.

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

In all service manuals it states to only perform the BMS reset when you replace the battery.

No luck with any of your suggestions, I even replaced the battery this weekend with a BMS reset. I'm going to contact Ford Customer Care, to see if they can meet me half way of a modem replacement if it's needed since I'm just out of warranty. Thanks for your help! :beer:

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...and out of the blue, Fordpass started working again. This screen popped up when I got home, screwy!
IMG_8572.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranger X3

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Swede726

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Self Employed
I haven't been able to get my Fordpass to work in the month I've had my new 2020 Ranger. When I send a request to unlock or remote start I can here the relays and stuff under the hood energize but nothing happens and I get an error. Tried pulling fuse 9 and removing and adding the vehicle. The data displayed like location, fuel, etc on my Fordpass is also only updated from when I last drove the car.
Sponsored