Future Ford Maverick Competitor At $23K?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Toyota is looking at bringing back the Stout in a hybrid. Right now it's still a concept but there's a few CG images and some nice thought out options for the inside. Competition is always a good thing and IF they can bring this out at the $23K price would be a huge seller. They'll have more info in June and could be available within the next year or two. After just talking about how there's not much out there now that's affordable this could/would be a hit. Might even help bring down prices of the others some too?

I do like Toyotas stance on EV. They believe going full electric is NOT the way to go to achieve reduced emissions and believes hybrid powertrains and fuel cells are the best way to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
another swing and a miss if only available in 4 door. I still wouldn't buy another toyota though
I think a 2dr would be really small for most so a 4dr in a compact makes more sense. But I'm with you I'd pass on a Toyota but I like the fact they're bringing more competition to the market.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Pipe dream Toyota selling that in the US for $23k , completely unrealistic.

Toyota has a new head honcho starting April 1 and he has already stated more plans for EV offerings, fact is Toyota like most automakers can't afford not to be in the EV game.

Incoming president Koji Sato is set to take the reins on April 1, 2023. Sato addressed the situation, saying Toyota will prove it’s committed to making cars better through “concrete actions and products, such as accelerating the shift to electrification.” He added the timing is now right to accelerate EV development with a new approach.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Pipe dream Toyota selling that in the US for $23k , completely unrealistic.

Toyota has a new head honcho starting April 1 and he has already stated more plans for EV offerings, fact is Toyota like most automakers can't afford not to be in the EV game.

Incoming president Koji Sato is set to take the reins on April 1, 2023. Sato addressed the situation, saying Toyota will prove it’s committed to making cars better through “concrete actions and products, such as accelerating the shift to electrification.” He added the timing is now right to accelerate EV development with a new approach.
This is from an article a month ago.

https://www.topspeed.com/heres-whats-really-going-on-with-toyotas-stance-on-electric-vehicles/

While embracing the overall 'carbon-neutral' mindset, CEO Akio Toyoda believes that EVs aren't the only way forward, and so he continues to embrace a full array of technological options as he takes Toyota above and beyond the limits of electric vehicles and breaks ground in new and exciting powertrain alternatives. So, here's why Toyota is holding steadfast in its view on electric vehicles, and what it is doing today.

During the Tokyo Auto Salon at the beginning of this year, Mr. Toyoda had on display two modified retro AE86s - one was a BEV Concept (Battery Electric Vehicle) and one was an H2 Concept (Hydrogen-engine Vehicle). Since these vehicles were unveiled, the CEO has been more outspoken about what he sees in the automotive industry's future. For the past few years, and with Toyota's release of the Mirai, its flagship hydrogen-powered vehicle, Akio Toyoda has denied industry-wide claims that EVs are the only option, all the while reminding others that 'carbon is the true enemy, not a particular powertrain,' and that he is among the “silent majority” of those questioning whether electric vehicles are the only way forward.
And this one too.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/43978/toyota-has-a-new-ev-strategy-heres-where-we-think-its-headed

Contrary to much media interpretation over the years, “electrification” doesn’t mean electric cars. It means cars with an electric motor somewhere inside the drivetrain—of which the majority will likely be the regular Toyota hybrids we’ve seen for 20 years now or their plug-in hybrid variants.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The old guy is retiring, things are changing fast with respect to EVs - that article is out of date :

https://insideevs.com/news/652515/new-toyota-ceo-top-priority-is-revamp-ev-strategy/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-toyota-chief-says-he-will-accelerate-shift-in-ev-strategy-1f56904d
https://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/new-toyota-chief-will-accelerate-shift-ev-strategy

The new CEO will announce his shift in strategy in April, Toyota isn't abandoning investments in hydrogen or hybrids, but the new guy realizes he cannot afford to pass on the EV market, Toyota has been criticized for being slow to adopt new technologies, but many attribute that to slowness to promoting reliability but Toyota's dominance in that area has been slipping.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Not a fan of the Maverick anyway, but that toyota nose makes it even uglier...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a fan of the Maverick anyway, but that toyota nose makes it even uglier...
yes but for $2.5k less than a Maverick one has to willing to make some concessions, but I don't see how it adds up, buying $25k Mavericks and putting a new front facia will allow for a $23k Stout. Maybe I'd best watch the video and see if the new CEO explains it, or is that pic of the new CEO also fake ?

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
It appears that many automakers can't afford to be in the "EV Game." Witness Ford struggles, and now GM is facing problems as well.

After a Botched EV Push, General Motors Is in Deep Trouble
General Motors vowed to surpass Tesla as the number one EV maker in the U.S., and its plans look rock solid on paper. In reality, the carmaker is struggling to produce the GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, its Ultium-based EVs, in significant numbers. To make matters worse, GM has announced a voluntary separation program to trim its workforce.

It seems to me (my personal observations), that this administration has pushed automakers into this EV race. The efforts seem poorly thought out and rushed. Time will tell.

I do think Toyota is one of the few auto companies thinking through their strategy before jumping in with both feet, and committing to a program that could seriously threaten their business model.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
yes but for $2.5k less than a Maverick one has to willing to make some concessions, but I don't see how it adds up, buying $25k Mavericks and putting a new front facia will allow for a $23k Stout. Maybe I'd best watch the video and see if the new CEO explains it, or is that pic of the new CEO also fake ?
"We lose thousands on every Stout we sell! How can we do it? VOLUME!!!"

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
The picture of the "Toyota Stout" is literally a picture of a Ford Maverick with a Toyota grille photoshopped onto it.

Dr. Ya beat me too it...slap a Ford grill on it, change the lower body side cladding, and it is a twin to the Maverick...
Decisions, decisions...which one too get ??? Oh, I know, neither...I have a Ranger !!!!!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears that many automakers can't afford to be in the "EV Game." Witness Ford struggles, and now GM is facing problems as well.
After a Botched EV Push, General Motors Is in Deep Trouble
General Motors vowed to surpass Tesla as the number one EV maker in the U.S., and its plans look rock solid on paper. In reality, the carmaker is struggling to produce the GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, its Ultium-based EVs, in significant numbers. To make matters worse, GM has announced a voluntary separation program to trim its workforce.

It seems to me (my personal observations), that this administration has pushed automakers into this EV race. The efforts seem poorly thought out and rushed. Time will tell.
Never underestimate your competition, Ford and GM already made that mistake in the 70s, making bold announcements that the Vega and Pinto "would drive imports from America's shores. "

I'm not surprised that the anti EV crowd will point blame of auto makers woes on EV investments, though there is undoubtedly some truth to that as I think investing in stuff like Hummers and F-150 lightnings isn't going to see mass market success and generate much profit. American auto makers have certainly had their ups and downs since the 70s - but for a whole slew of reasons.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I would never buy ugly to save $2.5k...