Wattson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender
Occupation
Driver
Hello everyone,

I'm a new owner of a 2019 Ford Ranger 5G and am looking for advice on what type of engine oil to use for my car. I looked through the owner's manual, but also wanted to get recommendations from those who have direct experience with this model one of my friends suggested me to use a high performance 5W-30 but i'm not sure if it's a good oil for my car engine, i'm not going to use it without consulting you first. I want to make sure of using the engine oil that best suits its needs so if you have a Ford Ranger 5G or have knowledge of the types of engine oil that are compatible with this model, I would appreciate any suggestions or advice you may have to offer. I want to make sure I take care of my car in the best way possible, and choosing the right motor oil is an important step in that process.
Thank you in advance for your help and advice. I look forward to reading your responses and making an informed decision on choosing engine oil for my Ford Ranger 5G.
Sponsored

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Castrol Full Syn. 5W-30. Wix filter.

Here goes an exploding list of opinions! Come on everybody... pile on! :crackup:

"You must buy XYZ brand as they have pixie dust unique to them..."

And.... wait until the "Whenever the trucks says to" folks post followed up by the "Change it every 750 miles, even if in mid-trip" guys........ gonna be interesting.

Sorry op. Going to be a long thread. But you'll get plenty of answers.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
OP, you're likely to get a great number of responses in terms of brand of oil and what not. I think the most consistent thing you'll see here is to use a full synthetic oil. Just pick a brand and go.

Me personally, I use Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-30 and the Motorcraft Oil Filter. Nothing snazzy. Pennzoil is good oil and can be found on sale all the time.

There's a good youtube channel called Project Farm and he's done multiple oil tests. I think you can watch those videos, become informed, and then make a choice on how much money you want to spend on a full synthetic. The guy who runs the channel often runs really expensive oils, but I'm pretty sure he's said on multiple occasions he runs a cheaper full synthetic on his vehicles.

I would also highly recommend grabbing this. Put it on a ratchet extension and it makes the job take about 5 seconds. I bought it after 4 annoyingly difficult oil changes.

1707740582327.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...m-New-Model-4209-1-Each/55524390?from=/search
I've never seen this thing before and it looks genius. I've said my fair share of curse words getting the damn oil filter off. I appreciate the share!

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
I was using Amsoil OE until last change went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. At first seemed to run a bit smoother but now really notice no difference.
Interestingly, Pennzoil is “supppsed” to help with mileage, but mine went down .5 mpg. 🤣
Might try Castrol Edge next.
Oh, Motorcraft oil filter.

OP
OP

Khan42

First Name
Wattson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender
Occupation
Driver
OP, you're likely to get a great number of responses in terms of brand of oil and what not. I think the most consistent thing you'll see here is to use a full synthetic oil. Just pick a brand and go.

Me personally, I use Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-30 and the Motorcraft Oil Filter. Nothing snazzy. Pennzoil is good oil and can be found on sale all the time.

There's a good youtube channel called Project Farm and he's done multiple oil tests. I think you can watch those videos, become informed, and then make a choice on how much money you want to spend on a full synthetic. The guy who runs the channel often runs really expensive oils, but I'm pretty sure he's said on multiple occasions he runs a cheaper full synthetic on his vehicles.

I've never seen this thing before and it looks genius. I've said my fair share of curse words getting the damn oil filter off. I appreciate the share!
I have found Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-30in the internet but i doubt it would be a good oil for my car engine.

BaldHog1951

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Highlander, 2022 Ford Ranger Supercab,
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been using Mobil 1 full synthetic for years. I changed to WIX filters after an issue with a Ford filter with this vehicle. As one of commenters said earlier, we have developed our favorites for one reason another and we are prone to debate the issue way beyond any real data. A name brand full synthetic oil and filter (not Fram) and you’ll be fine.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I have found Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-30in the internet but i doubt it would be a good oil for my car engine.
Probably right. In your case, I'd recommend using Wesson Oil. For filters, i generally just strip the core out of the existing filter and put the empty can back on.
Sponsored

Last edited: