• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
Bolting the J-Brace itself in place is the easy part. After the commotion of peeling enough of the wheel well liner back to gain access and cutting out the metal on the corner of the box sheet metal to allow the steel backing plate to slide up the vertical channel of the box structure, the bolting the J-Brace in place went well. The J-Brace is a very stout piece of metal.

Ford Ranger Part II, J-Brace Installation-Yikes IMG_6694

Ford Ranger Part II, J-Brace Installation-Yikes IMG_6716

Ford Ranger Part II, J-Brace Installation-Yikes IMG_6720

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
So there are no bolts to replace the rivets that were removed?

Sponsored

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
And with that question what holds the new top bolt in place? Just a washer and nut on the other side?
I'm assuming there is a 2 layer vertical with a nut welded to the inside piece he slid up through the hole. The bolt then pinches the original metal.

OP
OP
FreezingFlatlander

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
To answer questions-Replacement rivets came with the kit but I had not installed them yet when the pictures were taken. And there were two nuts welded to plate that you push up inside the vertical channel that the bolts thread into so that the bracket is then secured to the vertical portion of the box structure. I have not said that this brace is necessary for everyone as maybe it isn't but I choose to install it as I do drive on really rough roads and may put a tool box on the front of the box, I assume Ford made this J-Brace kit for a reason.

Last edited:

Zangor

First Name
Zangor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT FX4
This should be a Manufacturer Recall fix- Truck buyers don't anticipate that you need to install this to use a toolbox or a cap/canopy.

Its a bit of false advertising in my opinion that the trucks need this to do basic truck things

engus13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I doesn't appear that you needed to remove the original rivets that you did. It doesn't look like the bracket interferes with that section. It looks like the only modification would be cutting that corners piece out. Can you confirm?

OP
OP
FreezingFlatlander

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I doesn't appear that you needed to remove the original rivets that you did. It doesn't look like the bracket interferes with that section. It looks like the only modification would be cutting that corners piece out. Can you confirm?
The steel Pop Rivets did have to be removed as stated in the instructions as they were among the many other fasteners holding the wheel well liners in place. For some reason these rivets were made of a very hard material and it took some effort with the Sawsall using a carbide blade to cut them off. Without removing the rivets one would not have been able to access the area where the J-Brace was to be installed.

Sponsored

engus13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The steel Pop Rivets did have to be removed as stated in the instructions as they were among the many other fasteners holding the wheel well liners in place. For some reason these rivets were made of a very hard material and it took some effort with the Sawsall using a carbide blade to cut them off. Without removing the rivets one would not have been able to access the area where the J-Brace was to be installed.
Thanks, make sense now.

24'Ranger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Vibe AWD, 2019 Outback, 2024 Ranger?
Are J-braces required on full-size trucks like the F-150?

LFRR13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Per my dealer, the "TSB/recall" is not on Raptors and the J-braces are back-ordered and being drop-shipped from manufacturer to dealer directly. No word on availability.