First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
She's been repainted since I saw her way back when. Was just battleship gray at the time.
My parents bought me a model of her to put together when I got home. Good times.
She's showing her age....lots of places where rust has eaten thru some of the thinner metal on the outside decks and painted over. Still, it's 84 years since she first hit water, so can't fault some minor problems here and there.
Been on several other battleships from WWll and they all show some ware n tare, but all being in there 80's and one over 100 years old, it's great their still open for viewing.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
17.6 mpg (dash readout) on a 300 mile round trip towing a 4000 lbs + TT - the reason - mostly state highways with most speed limits 55 mph.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Wilmington is only about a 2-hour drive for me, but we go on that ship about every 5 years for some reason.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Wonder how this tows

1715091324615-1y.png
I keep looking at that and don't know where to start
The porch light, the door bell, the A/C? Probably has to hit the brakes when he wants to turn. 😆

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I keep looking at that and don't know where to start
The porch light, the door bell, the A/C? Probably has to hit the brakes when he wants to turn. 😆
That's it, the 26DJSE is for sale....

It takes all kinds I reckon, but I suspect those kinds are missing several teeth.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not exactly a towing question but I'm curious if anyone has installed a receiver hitch on the front of their Ranger. I was considering having a receiver hitch welded on to the back of my travel trailer for my 2 ebikes, but I see curt sells a front hitch that goes for $221 on Amazon, the hitch weighs 41 lbs, my 1up bike rack weighs 54 lbs, and 2 ebikes would be ~ 85lbs so this would add 180 lbs to the front end of the Ranger, I'd only use it when towing my trailer, I'd imagine the bikes would interfere somewhat with the visibility out front and at higher speeds create some wind noise. I can buy a receiver hitch for the trailer for about the same money, additional cost would be welding it the frame. On here people talk about the Ranger being a money pit, the same applies to owning a travel trailer:)
thanks

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Not exactly a towing question but I'm curious if anyone has installed a receiver hitch on the front of their Ranger. I was considering having a receiver hitch welded on to the back of my travel trailer for my 2 ebikes, but I see curt sells a front hitch that goes for $221 on Amazon, the hitch weighs 41 lbs, my 1up bike rack weighs 54 lbs, and 2 ebikes would be ~ 85lbs so this would add 180 lbs to the front end of the Ranger, I'd only use it when towing my trailer, I'd imagine the bikes would interfere somewhat with the visibility out front and at higher speeds create some wind noise. I can buy a receiver hitch for the trailer for about the same money, additional cost would be welding it the frame. On here people talk about the Ranger being a money pit, the same applies to owning a travel trailer:)
thanks
A front hitch will be MUCH better for your needs if you can get your hands on one (I've seen some on this forum, but not many). Loads on the back of a travel trailer are problematic.

You've got the long overhang past the axle(s), the usually less-refined suspension that's more bouncy, and the fact that rv hitch receivers typically aren't strong enough for the things most people put on the back of them. Since your 1up rack is up to the task of at least handling 2 non-e bikes on the back of an rv (not sure about the extra weight of ebikes back there), I expect that your likely failure point would be the receiver on the trailer itself.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A front hitch will be MUCH better for your needs if you can get your hands on one (I've seen some on this forum, but not many). Loads on the back of a travel trailer are problematic.

You've got the long overhang past the axle(s), the usually less-refined suspension that's more bouncy, and the fact that rv hitch receivers typically aren't strong enough for the things most people put on the back of them. Since your 1up rack is up to the task of at least handling 2 non-e bikes on the back of an rv (not sure about the extra weight of ebikes back there), I expect that your likely failure point would be the receiver on the trailer itself.
yeah I see now that the curt hitch doesn't fit the 2019 Ford Ranger . I bought the 1up rack because of it's weight capacity - 65lbs per bike, plus it's one of the few hitches that is approved for use of off road vehicles and travel trailers, my NOBO has a curt independent suspension , it's pretty robust for some off road use. I'd have the receiver welded to the frame rails of the NOBO, not even thinking of using the 4" bumper back there as it couldn't support the weight. But wish there was a front hitch available for the Ranger - there is for F-150s, Tacos and some other trucks.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
yeah I see now that the curt hitch doesn't fit the 2019 Ford Ranger . I bought the 1up rack because of it's weight capacity - 65lbs per bike, plus it's one of the few hitches that is approved for use of off road vehicles and travel trailers, my NOBO has a curt independent suspension , it's pretty robust for some off road use. I'd have the receiver welded to the frame rails of the NOBO, not even thinking of using the 4" bumper back there as it couldn't support the weight. But wish there was a front hitch available for the Ranger - there is for F-150s, Tacos and some other trucks.
the ones I've seen for the ranger are either custom or small-time builders. don't remember what they were, but I'm sure the discussions here on r5g would be informative.

does your trailer have shock absorbers? I know some offroadish trailers do, but not all. it seems that helps a LOT with bounce that gives problems with bike racks and other hitch-mounted accessories. But hitch mounted accessories also play with weight balance, and with your heavier ebikes, that's certainly more of a concern. the front hitch for the Ranger will make that easier to deal with for sure.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the ones I've seen for the ranger are either custom or small-time builders. don't remember what they were, but I'm sure the discussions here on r5g would be informative.

does your trailer have shock absorbers? I know some offroadish trailers do, but not all. it seems that helps a LOT with bounce that gives problems with bike racks and other hitch-mounted accessories. But hitch mounted accessories also play with weight balance, and with your heavier ebikes, that's certainly more of a concern. the front hitch for the Ranger will make that easier to deal with for sure.
pic of it

1715360337948-69.png