First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 Ranger Lariat that I really like. Only one problem, I have that low speed vibration in the drive train that is gone by the time I reach 20mph. A Ford dealership about 40 miles away let me down and just wrote the problem off as unimportant/normal. Poor excuse in my book. In spite of that I am considering changing my extended warranty carrier.

In southern Arizona and maybe many other states and dealerships in the U.S. the dealers push Zurich Extended Warranty, probably because they make more money on the sale of a vehicle. So I bought the Zurich warranty, but now have second thoughts a year and a half later. Zurich will tow you to the nearest repair shop that will accept Zurich payments and drop the vehicle off there, that really worries me. When you raise the hood on the Ranger and other new cars today all you see is a mess of hoses, sensors and wires that I don't understand. I don't want some unqualified mechanic messing around under my hood perhaps doing more harm than good. So I cancelled my Zurich warranty policy and now have cash in hand. My plan was to cough up another 6 or 7 hundred dollars to put with my cash and switch to the Ford Extneded Warranty. I live in a small town so mileage is not my concern, Ford will extend my warranty 2 years longer (to 2028) than Zurich was offering me. Also Ford will tow me to the nearest Ford or Lincoln dealer where I have a much better chance of finding a mechanic who works on Fords all day and is hopefully Ford trained and will be putting in genuine Ford parts not rebuilds.

So here is my question!
Those of you with actually have or have had Ford Extended Warranty - Do you think I'm making a good decision?
Sponsored

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I won't speak to your specific situation, but let me put it this way.

I, personally, will never buy an extended warranty that isn't the "factory backed" warranty. I don't buy an extended warranty often to begin with, but if I do....

I won't necessarily buy it from the dealer I buy the vehicle from (there are several cheaper options online) but I'll give them a chance to match the lowest price I find. One example (that I've used in the past) is Ziegler Ford. https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

Last edited:

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
My dealer tried to sell me a generic warranty also. But I refused and got the Ford ESP. Other warranty companies send your car to random garages and will put on used parts from a junkyard. They usually hide the part about allowing used parts in the fine print of the contract. But with the Ford warranty you get a Ford mechanic and new Ford parts. The dealer does make quite a bit more money form the generic warranty.

Alaska Wolf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Jungle Splash
Occupation
Retired
The Zurich Warranty is actually really a great warranty with great customer service and get great reviews. The only fly in the ointment with them is that they are a European company, literally based out of Zurich. And while they offer a really good product, its difficult to find a lot of places in the US that will work with them. A friend tells me they're more widely accepted in Canada though...
Sponsored