First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
So I spent about half an hour talking to one of the engineers at FRPP the other day. He wasn't aware so many folks were trying to squeeze out a bunch of power on the Ranger. I asked about the mustang ecoboost cams going in our engine. He said he would have to do more digging to be sure, but he stated he thought they would not :/

I went on to chat with him about the Ranger and a possible performance version of our truck or the Maverick. He said there has been talk about both, but it never goes beyond the "writing on the napkin" stage.

/frustrated

I know the old adage to each their own, but Im tired of the market being so heavily influenced by automakers appeasing all the 4wd concrete warriors. I have the means to buy the Ranger Raptor, but it is so far out from what I want to do. I'm gonna be real pissed off if I have to buy it for performance sake. Plus Im not a huge fan of how dealers have been raking folks over the coals on crazy markup. I"m guessing the Ranger Raptor should go for ~55k. I also believe dealers will expect to push that above 65k. Can you imagine me throwing this seat of wheels and tires on the Raptor? What about lowering it?
Fyi, Mustang cams would be a downgrade. In fact pretty much anything in a Mustang ecoboost is a downgrade for our engine. We have basically RS specs and even higher compression than RS… technically we already have a stronger engine than a Mustang and better performing components too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hizdudeness

Hizdudeness

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
RN
Actually this isnt entirely true. The frpp cam has more lift and duration than the cams in our engine...not sure how you are coming up with that. Also we have the exact same rods in our engine. I know some says we run forged go try and order a set they are the same part #. We have a different cylinder head, turbo and a different piston and block. I wouldnt go all out and say that our is the best. If you want to make real power and hold uplonger htis will be a fresh endeavor I already checked. open deck block kinda suck in general. The ecobeast builds run the 2.0 block with 2.3 internals for high hp applications. We arent able to do that due to packaging constraints, or at least easily. We also cant ditch the balancing shafts either due to how our oilpump integration is.

NO the mustang cams wont work. Im not willing to attempt a cam regrind mod for a cam. As in have a company make it for me. That was the only thing I found available for reaching out to cam companies as there has not been enough interest for them to develop anything.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Actually this isnt entirely true. The frpp cam has more lift and duration than the cams in our engine...not sure how you are coming up with that. Also we have the exact same rods in our engine. I know some says we run forged go try and order a set they are the same part #. We have a different cylinder head, turbo and a different piston and block. I wouldnt go all out and say that our is the best. If you want to make real power and hold uplonger htis will be a fresh endeavor I already checked. open deck block kinda suck in general. The ecobeast builds run the 2.0 block with 2.3 internals for high hp applications. We arent able to do that due to packaging constraints, or at least easily. We also cant ditch the balancing shafts either due to how our oilpump integration is.

NO the mustang cams wont work. Im not willing to attempt a cam regrind mod for a cam. As in have a company make it for me. That was the only thing I found available for reaching out to cam companies as there has not been enough interest for them to develop anything.
You said “mustang ecoboost cams” they are smaller… if you mean the FRPP ecoboost cams, yes they are slightly hotter but of course don’t fit anyway. I’m sorry I assumed that what you said was what you meant.

Tincup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
Mine is Fx4, the rear springs are the same as the other trucks. I have mine set to 2.5”/4” drop. I think the power is great for the weight and engine. I make 332/365 to the wheels on 93 octane with stock wheels. On 33’s it’s about 20 less. I am going to do an E30 or possibly flex tune soon but as it sits it’s a solid 12 second ride. And launches hard as shit!

6C536546-46B8-445F-861C-F7280367CDB3.jpeg

D896D9C9-22B4-4BD7-8220-3383309B32ED.jpeg

8F9705F2-B5EE-47A0-BCE4-DBF4D51D9396.jpeg

EC87E334-2612-4E6B-8AC5-7EAC07E41155.jpeg
Hey Lowered on 33's, I'm new to the forum, and to new Rangers. I just picked up a 23 (2wd) cactus gray long bed. I absolutely love the look of you truck, kind of like a " Pre-Runner" look. Would you mind sharing your suspension mods? did you use the Bell Tech Kit? Any rubbing issues? TIA.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Hey Lowered on 33's, I'm new to the forum, and to new Rangers. I just picked up a 23 (2wd) cactus gray long bed. I absolutely love the look of you truck, kind of like a " Pre-Runner" look. Would you mind sharing your suspension mods? did you use the Bell Tech Kit? Any rubbing issues? TIA.
Thanks! Yea ask away. Just message me so it’s easier to deal with.

OP
OP
Hizdudeness

Hizdudeness

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
RN
Im very, very sick of so many people claiming oh my Ranger runs 12's....without proof.

solid 12 second ride? Post a timeslip or video of a 12.5 pass. You can't call something a solid anything without hitting a mid or better. IF you pulled a 12.9 it isn't a sold 12 sec ride. Thats i took the tailgate off, the passenger seat out and skipped lunch and squeaked out a 12. I doubt you have ever gotten this thing to pull lower than 1.9 60ft am I right? Good luck getting the weight of your truck to pull 12.5 with a 1.9 or worse 60ft. Late model Mustangs with much better traction, weight and over 100 more horsepower at the wheels runs a 12.8. Im not sorry but if you line up vs one it will clean your fucking clock. Ive driven a stick and the auto version of a late model gt and that auto is not comparable to our auto. Our truck has decent mid range, but non existent bottom end and huge drop off up top. Its a dog out of the whole and doesn't make enough hp to make up for that.

The actual one video posted on the net I have found the guy is straight up lying. He claims he is stock on full e85. Come to find out when you research him and his truck his last mod was a $3.5k torque converter among other addons. HIs draggy app runs a high 12 with a 4.2 sec 0-60. Im sorry mate you seem like a cool guy. My L had Caltrec bars drag radials, less weight and a hell of a lot more power and a built trans tq converter, long tubes, ported blower, intake, pulley, tune and 4.10 gears and it ran low 12s. I was putting down well over what you claim your truck puts down. Almost 200 more tq and over 100hp more at the wheels. Its problem was 8 miles a gallon is a real problem. I mentioned it in passing and that was when my wife started hating the truck. Once she got pregnant with second child she put her foot down. These trucks feel nothing at all like it. The 2.3 Rangers are not quick. Im done throwing money at this truck chasing a dream.

Im putting a deposit down on a Raptor Ranger in May. I dont care how long I have to wait. Ill swap my wheels and tires over. Wait a year or so then start modding it. WIth suspected hp in range of ~392/400 and tq ~415 it will straight up smoke the 2.3 stock vs tuned and bolt ons. Im sure e85 and upgraded turbo would give it a run. But hey guess what? How much power do you think the 3.0 will be able to tolerate on a moderate build?

Brennan

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Student
Finally did it today. I bought the whole Belltech kit over a year ago including control arms. I did the whole swap today on the ground, but I was a tech in a past life. I had my cordless impact which made it go quick. My Ranger is an FX2 so I could get the locker. Unfortunately it utilizes higher ride height springs so the effective lowering is less than usual, but my tire change (295/35/18 Toyo Proxes) made up the difference. I lowered Fr 2.75" R 4" but I will be changing to 5" rear as a rake of 1.4" still exists. The kit went on smoothly save for missing bolts that I had to procure. Just waiting on my Airdesign flares to come in now.

I wont be acquiring regular ride height rated springs as I am a mountainbiker and I live in the mountains so I need to retain some semblance of ground clearance.

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg
Any issues with using tires with a lower load index than OEM spec? Also, have you heard anything about driveline vibrations from Belltech lowering kit installed on 4wd models? Thanks :)
Sponsored