Auto start/stop feature elimination for free?

Shawn_Mc

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Race Engine builder
Has anyone else done this? Something tells me this impacts the charging system.

All he's doing is unplugging a sensor off the negative side, but if it's the battery monitor, it could be full fielding the alternator and an AGM battery hates that.

Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger traded for 24 F-150 XL RCSB 4x4 5.0 :-P
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Did it a few years ago. There are a couple of threads about this. I recently added a Battery Tender 1.25 amp charger to maintain a full charge since I don't drive very often, and even then, it's usually a 25-30 minute round trip to get groceries. Still on the factory battery (2019) and only 32K miles since May 2019. If you get the battery/low power message on your radio, might be time for a new battery or change the battery charge level in Forscan to 90-95%. Search "BMS" for more threads :thumbsup:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I would have to locate it , but I have a detailed Forscan setting change and it keeps the BMS intact.
My 22 has the ASS delete from factory and I dug deep to see exactly what they did to disable in the module settings, 2 setting changes , I do not have the switch installed- so one disables the switch input and one disables the IPC screen and indicator,
Now it is unknown if this will work with the switch installed, might throw errors.
I do not recall exactly where I posted it, but it is mentioned here more than once.
I am thinking Forscan Wiki

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Yeah, I wouldn't do that 'mod', find another way if you want to turn it off.

ETA: Oops, didn't see this was an old thread... and I've posted in it already!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
What you don't what to do is to disable the BMS. It is there for a reason. A lot of systems rely on it and if it does not work you can(and most likely will) have issues with other systems.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Do a search, lots of discussion here on the topic. The simple solution? Just plug a $5 night light into the 12v plug on the rear of the center console and the nominal power draw will keep the auto start/stop from functioning. After the truck is shut off the light will not continue to draw. I’ve been doing this over two years with no issues.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Or maybe just hit the "A" button on the console each time you start it??????

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
did it over 2 yrs back and the only impact has been extending the life of the OEM battery, had I done it sooner the battery would be in better shape today. It's all fud and misinformation saying the bms is somehow interconnected with all sorts of vehicle systems, but I did borrow a bomb proof suit from the local SWAT team when I worked up the courage to pull the plug, and lo and behold nothing happened ! I get a chuckle out of posts where folks are "experimenting" to find the ideal SOC level, it is a well established and irrefutable fact that allowing a lead acid battery to be maintained in anything less than 100% SOC will begin the degradation process, the lower the SOC level, the higher the rate of degradation. If you don't wish to use ASS or the regen capability just make the disconnect your battery will thank you.

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired Army / Disabled Vet
Night light. 100% effective. (I shouldn't have to play with a button for a feature I didn't want in the first place. Am trying to learn Forscan; will try that route once I get comfortable with using it.)

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Night light for me. I put one in 3 years ago and the ASS hasn't functioned since.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I found a solution to this actually. It's completely free, does not require a windows computer or fancy dongles, and doesn't even require a $3 nightlight in the back seat.

In fact, it only required about a week of practice. The trick is to hit that big fat Auto Start Stop button when you start the car. Left hand puts on seatbelt while the right hand starts the car and clicks the button all in one motion. It is so engrained in my head now that I most of the time don't even realize I have turned it off.
Sponsored