First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
Let me rephrase the question. Why in the hell would anyone want to collect and bottle coyote urine!?
Guys that trap would use it as a lure. Coyotes are very territorial and scent from another pack would be irresistible.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Guys that trap would use it as a lure. Coyotes are very territorial and scent from another pack would be irresistible.
Yes, I understand the end uses. My curiosity is aimed more at a
the career choice to become a urine collector. Well, its better than becoming a lawyer, I guess.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
the career choice to become a urine collector. Well, its better than becoming a lawyer, I guess.
As I approach retirement age, being a urine collector looks better and better. I already have experience dealing with lots of sh!t, so this would be a move up and being able to work alone and outside - I see no downside to this (goes to Amazon to look at coyote cages, tubing, drill pumps, bottles, ... =D

1708005512118.png

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Probably closer than you think. Isn't the job of a lawyer to take the piss out of the prosecutor?

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have tried and used coyote urine on my Ranger. I found that they had chewed my engine cover. There's another post about that, but the engine heat drys it way too quick and it's not meant for rodents.
I have used coyote urine in the middle of a big California city, La Mesa, because any wild area sooner or later coyotes travel through. It was highly effective and deterring them from approaching my upper yard where I have three grandchildren who play all the time. Since the coyotes are gone, the gophers thrive, but my family has overruled me on trying to get rid of them. It also amazingly deters the ravens who moved further away, even though they still fly high over.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Although the Oreily's filters give it a better appearance (looks wise) as I debated doing the same.
... as it is a GREAT idea and find for filters that fit in those access holes.
O'reily's here in NC wanted $10 each for the filters.
I purchased a 3 pack of these filters from online Walmart for $14 with free shipping. Nice reasonable price. Carefully removed the filter material with razor knife, then glued the 1/4" 23 gauge steel wire mesh on the back side. Installing them today. Been meaning to correct this for a while and I like the solution. Thanks for the pointer.
1708365779750.png

UPDATE
The screens are installed. They do not fit snug but they cover the openings. I was hoping the openings were flat so that a good seal would be easier to make, but the ridged opening faced out. So to simplify the installation I used Scotch 3M Exterior double sided gray tape. When placing the screens I had to insert them through the outer left hole going up (facing the truck). Then move the screen to the interior hole and press it in place. Did not take long to do and I am confident the rodents will not get past the screen.

I wish I were taller. I need a step stand just to reach the firewall!

Last edited:

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
I can tell you from personal experience helping to fight rodents at a family members house neither the sonic devices or spray did anything. Old fashioned mouse traps, sticky paper, poison and screening to exclude entry is what worked.

JACER

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I just did this modification 3 days ago.

I agree working space is very limited.

You may also want to do the rear vents behind the back seat. I've had rodents enter there on a camping trip in northern Vancouver Island. I haven't done that myself, but I will be doing it soon.

Here's my after pic for the cabin air intake vents. I used standard aluminum screen from Home Depot and butyl tape, which I had on hand for RV repairs.

1000002206.jpg

JACER

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Was wondering how the rv tape held up overtime with the engine heat

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Was wondering how the rv tape held up overtime with the engine heat
Great.

Remember this opening is pretty far recessed, and behind the plastic cowl. It isn't seeing much engine heat. Example is run your HVAC on outside air with no heat or cool (eg 'low' temp setting and that it the temp of the air coming into this intake. I like butyl tape because it can stand up to moisture. If I did this again, I would use some Dynamat sound insulating tape instead. It is basically butyl tape with a metal coating. I think that would be more rodent proof.
Sponsored