HELP. Just did my plugs

scotthagg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Just did my plugs and it went very well. The 4th plug came out a little rough and the threads were not as clean as the previous 3. (see pic) Put everything back one by one and fired it up seemed fine, but got int the car to take a quick test drive and it had the flashing engine. restarted it and the flashing enf=gine was gone, but definitely a miss. I did not feel like spark plug 4 coil was sitting properly. Reseated and still not doing great, Please let me know your thoughts.

tempImagei5KT59.png
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue when I did my plugs. Glad you got it sorted....

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Update. Boot 4 was not seated properly, some boot lube and all fine. Thank god. Now I can be honest and tell you those plugs lasted 160K!!!
Wow, Scott. how has everything else like the tranny and HVAC done over that 160k?:turkey:

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Mine did the same thing, something in the way by number 4, maybe a fuel line, that keeps you from dropping it straight down.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Was that rusty/crusty plug #4?

The great thing about this forum is those with miles and trials posting their experiences good and bad.

Spark plugs getting stuck in the head and breaking off is my new paranoia and I'm a little confused what can be done with replacement plugs to head this off. I've read anti-seize causes problems with plugs staying in place so I wonder what to do instead. Coming up on 50K miles and contemplating replacing the plugs as preventative.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Was that rusty/crusty plug #4?

The great thing about this forum is those with miles and trials posting their experiences good and bad.

Spark plugs getting stuck in the head and breaking off is my new paranoia and I'm a little confused what can be done with replacement plugs to head this off. I've read anti-seize causes problems with plugs staying in place so I wonder what to do instead. Coming up on 50K miles and contemplating replacing the plugs as preventative.
Problems your referring to are usually from using too much anti seize. You only need to use a very small amount on a plug....a dab the size of a pea will do it. Place it at the start of the threads and start the plug.....the anti seize will spread as you thread the plug....just that tiny amount is enough.

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
I just did mine yesterday at 60K miles. I'm having a hard time seeing how you could bolt down the coil with the plug boot askew. Did you torque the plugs to 106 in/lbs I hope?

Joranger2023

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Update. Boot 4 was not seated properly, some boot lube and all fine. Thank god. Now I can be honest and tell you those plugs lasted 160K!!!
Damn!

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Yes, with this COP design, it's a pay attention (by feel only) install, the most important is that small little (snap -click) of the terminal end snapping onto the plug, plus with the corroded threads it is most likely that the inside of the boot also had some residual rust deposits, Ford actually recommends replacing the boot as well with visible moisture evidence.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Just did my plugs and it went very well. The 4th plug came out a little rough and the threads were not as clean as the previous 3. (see pic) Put everything back one by one and fired it up seemed fine, but got int the car to take a quick test drive and it had the flashing engine. restarted it and the flashing enf=gine was gone, but definitely a miss. I did not feel like spark plug 4 coil was sitting properly. Reseated and still not doing great, Please let me know your thoughts.

tempImagei5KT59.png
What spark plugs did you go with?

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I literally just posted a write-up on this procedure. Great minds think alike. :like:

I avoided anti-seize on the new SP-594 plugs and only applied a pea size drop of Dielectric grease in the coil boot.

Cylinder 4 you have to insert at 6:00 position while pushing down and rotate it counterclockwise.

Good to hear you got it straightened out.

***It could be nothing but maybe something to look into on Cylinder 4 with the threads. All four of mine appeared to not have super dirty threads @ 60,000 miles.

IMG_2331.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

scotthagg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Wow, Scott. how has everything else like the tranny and HVAC done over that 160k?:turkey:
Don't want to jinx it. Replace heated seat and did trans flush. Other than that things have been excellent. Lots of Highway obviously. I put Eibach suspension on it as well and changed the differential fluid. Lookingfor recommendations. Should I do the timing chain/belt(imagine its a chain)
Sponsored