First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the reply, I think that the added clearance from the coastal rear bumper is a great value and it looks great too!
Don't you have to cut away the lower body panels for the Coastal rear bumper, then attach the remaining sheet metal with rivets? Ruins resale value and sets you up for rust.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
If you go OME for springs, medium rate will be what you need.

I wouldn't bother with the ARB rear bumper. Once you stop the rear from sagging, you shouldn't drag your ass again. I don't think I've ever had mine contact any obstacle. If you're looking for a tire carrier, check out Rig'd. Spend the money you save on moAr suspension.

Tires: I'm pretty impressed by how quite my new Falken RTs are, and that they were available in C load range. Yes, the new "hybrid" tires combine liveability of an AT with the traction of an MT. The big downside is that they are not going to be as good in occasional winter weather as a 3PMSF AT. I run real winters in winter, so don't mind sacrificing that capability, but it's definitely something to be aware of for those of you who aren't yet converts to safe winter driving.

Here's a photo of my truck, this is on Toyo ATs. Headed to Baja for three months on Thursday and should manage to get a photo or two of it while there, too.

wes-ranger.jpg

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree, rear leafs springs will be a definite. Also solid advice to add the bumpers / weight first and then do the springs.

do you have a pict of the coastal front bumper? How do you like it, does the adaptive cruise etc work with it?

This is @AndyMedic's truck.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Don't you have to cut away the lower body panels for the Coastal rear bumper, then attach the remaining sheet metal with rivets? Ruins resale value and sets you up for rust.
Once you take off the lower section, the bumper never comes off and gets sold with the truck. The bed is aluminum, so... no rust. Also, a little rubber trim around the bottom of the edges and you'd never know it had been cut.

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I know you have to trim or cut the bottom of the bed, which is a consideration. I think it’s aluminum so rust isn’t an issue and I don’t think there is any attaching after, just removal. Resale is absolutely something to think about as that mod is not for everyone.

I am getting lots of good feedback, I am trying to go with if it ain’t broke don’t fix it so I may take everyone’s advice here and try leaf springs first and go test it again. I did dent the bottom of my box previous but can prob pop those dents out lol, I would just like to avoid a repeat.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I know you have to trim or cut the bottom of the bed, which is a consideration. I think it’s aluminum so rust isn’t an issue and I don’t think there is any attaching after, just removal. Resale is absolutely something to think about as that mod is not for everyone.
@AndyMedic did a small tack weld to hold the corners. We did not do it on mine because we forgot. Mine rattles a bit, so its something I want to address with JB weld, but... I have to pull the bumper and I am not in the mood right now. ha!

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
If you go OME for springs, medium rate will be what you need.

I wouldn't bother with the ARB rear bumper. Once you stop the rear from sagging, you shouldn't drag your ass again. I don't think I've ever had mine contact any obstacle. If you're looking for a tire carrier, check out Rig'd. Spend the money you save on moAr suspension.

Tires: I'm pretty impressed by how quite my new Falken RTs are, and that they were available in C load range. Yes, the new "hybrid" tires combine liveability of an AT with the traction of an MT. The big downside is that they are not going to be as good in occasional winter weather as a 3PMSF AT. I run real winters in winter, so don't mind sacrificing that capability, but it's definitely something to be aware of for those of you who aren't yet converts to safe winter driving.

Here's a photo of my truck, this is on Toyo ATs. Headed to Baja for three months on Thursday and should manage to get a photo or two of it while there, too.

wes-ranger.jpg
Thanks for the advice, your truck looks great. What front suspension are you running with the arb front bumper? Or was your advice for OME medium all the way around?

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
So far I am thinking OME medium leaf springs in the rear for weight and how I use the truck, ARB front bumper with winch, new UCA’s for better alignment and clearing suspension / tires, and most likely OME front to compensate for the weight of the bumper.

everyone’s advice and experience is much appreciated!

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So far I am thinking OME medium leaf springs in the rear for weight and how I use the truck, ARB front bumper with winch, new UCA’s for better alignment and clearing suspension / tires, and most likely OME front to compensate for the weight of the bumper.

That's going to be a solid setup.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Thanks for the advice, your truck looks great. What front suspension are you running with the arb front bumper? Or was your advice for OME medium all the way around?
Here's everything: https://wessiler.substack.com/p/your-guide-to-building-the-ultimate

Just kept my life simple and am running a full OME BP-51 system for everything. Not only is this much higher performance than other options, but it's way higher quality too, in the sense of giving us consumers stuff we want like long maintenance intervals, no squeaks, weather resistance, etc.

LookARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree, rear leafs springs will be a definite. Also solid advice to add the bumpers / weight first and then do the springs.

do you have a pict of the coastal front bumper? How do you like it, does the adaptive cruise etc work with it?
I love the coastal I got it for a winch and it works great. high clearance and easy access to the clutch and controller. I use a Rough country relocation bracket because they’re all the same (pretty much). It works great also i know some people have trouble when you get into stupid amounts of lift 3+ inches but not a problem for me I do lots of long drives and never think about it

D90ECA55-FB4C-4505-B45B-04086855271B.jpeg

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired

I am getting lots of good feedback, I am trying to go with if it ain’t broke don’t fix it so I may take everyone’s advice here and try leaf springs first and go test it again. I did dent the bottom of my box previous but can prob pop those dents out lol, I would just like to avoid a repeat.
You have to trim a whole lot more than the bottom of the bed. Here are pics from the Coastal site showing where they have trimmed the fender (not aluminum) and put in rivets through the steel. I've also included a photo of a magnet on the rear fender of my Ranger showing it is steel.
image0.jpg
2.jpg

image1.jpg

Last edited:

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
solid advice, I think UCA’s will be part of my upgrades this spring. I was thinking about hybrid tires, are they branding them at RT’s “rough terrain”?
Not sure...but "Rugged Trek" = RT😁
When i got them 2 years and 25k miles ago I think it was a new catagory but there are more options now. The Coopers RT perform like good MT but you do do not have rumble of true MT. Tires are the most important thing offroad, followed by lift by tires by clearance of a lift and tires. Of course the quality and strength of the components should be able to handle it as you know and your build shows.

I like your build. I wanted to do a bumper / winch and new leafs in my original improvements. But for the offroading I do my truck is more than capable. That will change later this year when I move to Western North Carolina later this year and I will be considering what you have in mind.

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic

I would look at the dobinson line also. They have 3 different versions available IMS is mid grade and seems really good. I’m about to put in on my wife’s 4runner and see how it performs. I have no complainants with either OME. I’ve ran the nitrocharger and bp-51’s with no complaints. Both are amazing kits.
Sponsored