erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
Hello all,

Have an off-road trip planned for the spring and had a question. I'm going to be going with a Tacoma, wrangler(2 door), and an fx4 f150. The plan was to make my tremor the recovery vehicle if needed, but I'm slightly concerned about the weight of the f150 and whether or not the ranger has enough oomph to pull it out should it get stuck. For reference it's a 4 full door shortbed. Anyone got experience pulling one of those out?
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
What happens if you get stuck?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
It really depends on how bad it's stuck, and how much traction/room you have to work with. Static or Kinetic straps?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I will agree that it all depends on the level of stuck. Have I had my Ranger stuck before? Absolutely and I felt stupid but I did learn my lesson. My suggestion. Before crossing any said obstacles assess the obstical and decide the best course of action.

AZRanger

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
I fix Pink jeeps
Look up “Matt’s off road recovery” on YouTube. They’ve pulled out some pretty heavy vehicles/trailers out with just a jeep Cherokee and a kinetic rope.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Hello all,

Have an off-road trip planned for the spring and had a question. I'm going to be going with a Tacoma, wrangler(2 door), and an fx4 f150. The plan was to make my tremor the recovery vehicle if needed, but I'm slightly concerned about the weight of the f150 and whether or not the ranger has enough oomph to pull it out should it get stuck. For reference it's a 4 full door shortbed. Anyone got experience pulling one of those out?
it should not be a problem unless it is stuck stuck like need recovery/tow rig with pros and pro equipment. if you have a recovery kit it should be no big deal. just a workout and possibly time consuming. use the noggin before the right foot. do a good walk around and size things up and make a plan. tactical advantage over brute force is typically the best route. if you do not have a recovery kit, get one together before heading out. some basics you should have for recovery (of others or self) a real shovel (not the stupid stubby space saver things), at least one tow strap at least 20-30ft, recovery rope or strap that are kinetic at least 20-30ft, at least 3 shackles / d rings, if you do not have a winch then a good come along will do, longer length the better (armstrong power lol) / at least one snatch block that works with your gear/ gloves to help avoid boo boos that are leather or fancy high tech fibers etc./ traction mats or boards/ strong recovery points front and rear of the trucks. The front factory hooks on the ranger are fine, i suggest riggin them bridle style to reduce stress/ on the rear you can use the trailer receiver/ eye protection is good idea/ first aid kit is a good one also. not a full emt kit but more than the assorted band aid cut my self shaving box. A kit to stop bleeding and patch up gashes until getting to medical service. The other folks should have gear also, that way you can toss in mix and match gear to make things work. i noticed you are in Wisconsin, it gets nice and cold in that area so toss in some extra warm clothes and blankets. if yall get stuck stuck and have to wait for pro's to show up you dont wanna freeze your berries off in the mean time. yall will likely have a lot of fun. take pictures for us.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Look up “Matt’s off road recovery” on YouTube. They’ve pulled out some pretty heavy vehicles/trailers out with just a jeep Cherokee and a kinetic rope.
Old Cherokees are awesome, and his is full on beast mode. 13x37(?) tires, double the foot print of our Ranger, and 4WD to our 3WD. He could drag us like a toy, if we tug-o-war with him.

He does have some good videos, but the Banana makes kinetic recovery look much easier than a Ranger will experience.

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I do allot of solo tripping and recovery is just on me. I have a front winch, but I also carry a Bailey's Synthetic Line Puller every time. It's the best manual come-along I have ever used, and invaluable as a 2nd direction puller if you have lateral sliding.

https://www.baileysonline.com/wyeth-scott-ratchet-puller-3-ton-with-35-amsteel-rope.html

I carry excessive and redundant gear - 3 hard pulleys, 1 soft pulley, 2-5 bow shackles, 3 soft shackles, 8, 16, 20, 30 foot straps, 30 foot kinetic, 50' and 100' synthetic extensions, long handle shovel, chainsaw, and 4 TReD PRO recovery boards.

This is not a cheap package to put together, and I don't know the trail you guys are running, skill levels, if there are other groups on it daily, cell service, emergency access, etc. but with limited cell service, or unlikely to see others groups, at minimum I recommend at least 1 winch or manual puller 3 shackles, 16' & 30' straps, and a 30' kinetic.

A kinetic rope is handy, but also limited use on rocks, and tight trails.

Some of my gear:

1WbVo9q.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I do allot of solo tripping and recovery is just on me. I have a front winch, but I also carry a Bailey's Synthetic Line Puller every time. It's the best manual come-along I have ever used, and invaluable as a 2nd direction puller if you have lateral sliding.

https://www.baileysonline.com/wyeth-scott-ratchet-puller-3-ton-with-35-amsteel-rope.html

I carry excessive and redundant gear - 3 hard pulleys, 1 soft pulley, 2-5 bow shackles, 3 soft shackles, 8, 16, 20, 30 foot straps, 30 foot kinetic, 50' and 100' synthetic extensions, long handle shovel, chainsaw, and 4 TReD PRO recovery boards.

This is not a cheap package to put together, and I don't know the trail you guys are running, skill levels, if there are other groups on it daily, cell service, emergency access, etc. but with limited cell service, or unlikely to see others groups, at minimum I recommend at least 1 winch or manual puller 3 shackles, 16' & 30' straps, and a 30' kinetic.

A kinetic rope is handy, but also limited use on rocks, and tight trails.

Some of my gear:

1WbVo9q.jpg
looks like a well put together kit! better to have and not need than need and not have. great minds think a like. glad to hear you have the full size shovel. every time i see someone in a fancy rig and then the tiny shovel hanging on the bed rack i shake my head. ive never had to use most of my kit but, the shovel has been used a lot.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
One of my additional skills/jobs in the Army was vehicle recovery. I recovered everything from HMMV's to M1 tanks and everything in between. Having the proper gear is a must.

And if you plan on doing a lot of off roading or any in rough/bad terrain, then you WILL want to have a good winch. Another must to go along with a winch is a good set of snatch blocks/pulleys. With a single pulley snatch block you can double the amount that you can pull with the winch. The use of two snatch blocks when set up correctly can quadruple the weight your winch can safely pull.

I have had to use the M88 tracked recovery vehicle to pull D7 dozers and main battle tanks out that were buried up to the top of the tracks before. The worse was a M728 Combat Engineer Vehicle (tank with dozer blade) that was buried to the top of the tracks and had one of the final drives that was seized up. That one took using two snatch blocks.

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
it should not be a problem unless it is stuck stuck like need recovery/tow rig with pros and pro equipment. if you have a recovery kit it should be no big deal. just a workout and possibly time consuming. use the noggin before the right foot. do a good walk around and size things up and make a plan. tactical advantage over brute force is typically the best route. if you do not have a recovery kit, get one together before heading out. some basics you should have for recovery (of others or self) a real shovel (not the stupid stubby space saver things), at least one tow strap at least 20-30ft, recovery rope or strap that are kinetic at least 20-30ft, at least 3 shackles / d rings, if you do not have a winch then a good come along will do, longer length the better (armstrong power lol) / at least one snatch block that works with your gear/ gloves to help avoid boo boos that are leather or fancy high tech fibers etc./ traction mats or boards/ strong recovery points front and rear of the trucks. The front factory hooks on the ranger are fine, i suggest riggin them bridle style to reduce stress/ on the rear you can use the trailer receiver/ eye protection is good idea/ first aid kit is a good one also. not a full emt kit but more than the assorted band aid cut my self shaving box. A kit to stop bleeding and patch up gashes until getting to medical service. The other folks should have gear also, that way you can toss in mix and match gear to make things work. i noticed you are in Wisconsin, it gets nice and cold in that area so toss in some extra warm clothes and blankets. if yall get stuck stuck and have to wait for pro's to show up you dont wanna freeze your berries off in the mean time. yall will likely have a lot of fun. take pictures for us.
out of sheer curiosity, why bring both kinetic rope & tow straps?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
kinetic rope or kinetic strap to get un stuck. tow rope or strap if you damage something that prevents you from driving under your own engine power. kinetic ropes / kinetic straps are not for towing on the road or any surface that is not bogging you down... tow strap is for your buddy to tow you a spot for repair.

Last edited:

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I pulled a first gen Tundra out of mud, up a 12* mountain trail, and across a pretty scary river last year in the Ozarks. Just had a standard tow strap.
Sponsored