jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Again it is not the vehicle. It just makes it easier for the wrong types to access the area. Don't condemn the vehicle when it's the PEOPLE using them. They have their place and when used responsibly are not a problem anymore than your truck.
disagree its very much that crowd in the sidexsides...
Sponsored

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Being a Ham Radio Op and having worked for NOAA and FEMA (Cert. Storm Chaser) in Emr we carry everything for a rescue, health and safety related kits, chainsaws, Lights, when I roll up on someone that their truck is stuck in a snowbank or up to the frame in mud or car is up to the hood in water, I will always bust out the chains or yank strap for $100 or they can call a recovery company for $500 to $1000 I am not gonna put my equipment under stress for free, F*** that! some of us have spent a lot of time & money for these situations, getting your self into a situation then getting back out are 2 different things LOL you never know how bad it is until you try and get back out LOL then its too late, you just have to be "overkill ready" for anything!
I have not had this truck in a really bad situation "yet" but I have had in the past Chevy, Jeep, Toyota and Rams in the eye of a hurricane, something tells me already this truck will shine :)
not gonna lie you are sad... ive spent thousands on recovery gear for wheeling and ive stopped and helped people all the time on a trail or if they spun off the road... shit happens... now if they are in a illegal area they shouldnt be at then ya they can call a tow im not going into an area i shouldnt be in..

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
its been pretty bad for awhile sadly... ive never thought of people blasting music as a problem thou since they are just enjoying music. but sidexside people are always the issue anywhere i go... groups of them going off trail to who knows where trash all over and normally falling out when they flop over or do some jump.. its a bummer since they get a lot of trails and parks shut down which ruins it for the rest of us. id like more trails to be open to dirtbikes and trucks in such since i do not like hiking lol but i know why they wont and why so many get shut down.
I've always liked getting out in the backcountry, sometimes off the beaten path for the solitude, so hiking 4 miles into a quiet serene lake to fish was great until off in the distance I hear music playing and it keeps getting louder until the side by side comes into view, I mean this was very loud music and IMO totally inconsiderate of others and looking at the occupants swilling beer I think it wouldn't be a stretch that they littered the trail . Plenty of other places these people can play their music, but disrupting the peace and quiet is just ignorant. No need for that in the backcountry.

[/QUOTE]

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
You guys just aren't getting it. It is not the sidexsides doing the littering. It's the PEOPLE. Banning the side sides won't stop the littering. The PEOPLE will just find another way. Yes, they give more people access. So you want to reserve the use of PUBLIC land to the few people who are physically able to reach these areas.

It's like the resent thread labeling all diesel drivers a coal rollers. You are blaming an entire group of people based on their vehicle choice. Sorry to be blunt, but isn't that one of the definitions if "bigotry"?

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
they were on national forest land, didn't actually see them do anything illegal such as littering, but the trail had a half dozen empty beer cans and bottles, sure looked recent, they were blaring loud music which was inconsiderate but I don't think that's illegal, just stupid.
It should be illegal, and painful...

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You guys just aren't getting it. It is not the sidexsides doing the littering. It's the PEOPLE. Banning the side sides won't stop the littering. The PEOPLE will just find another way. Yes, they give more people access. So you want to reserve the use of PUBLIC land to the few people who are physically able to reach these areas.

It's like the resent thread labeling all diesel drivers a coal rollers. You are blaming an entire group of people based on their vehicle choice. Sorry to be blunt, but isn't that one of the definitions if "bigotry"?
ive wheeled a lot with them and had them many times ignore the speed limits on trails and about hit me and others so i really dont care i can not stand the sidexside crowd they cause issues and have a massive lack of care for anything and anyone...

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've always liked getting out in the backcountry, sometimes off the beaten path for the solitude, so hiking 4 miles into a quiet serene lake to fish was great until off in the distance I hear music playing and it keeps getting louder until the side by side comes into view, I mean this was very loud music and IMO totally inconsiderate of others and looking at the occupants swilling beer I think it wouldn't be a stretch that they littered the trail . Plenty of other places these people can play their music, but disrupting the peace and quiet is just ignorant. No need for that in the backcountry.
[/QUOTE]
ive never been one to hike since of a bad knee plus i just dont like to walk lol i prefer to do stuff with dirtbikes/atvs. i guess? but ive never been bothered by music being played even out in the middle of nowhere since you could say the same thing about the exhaust on like my bike its loud and can be heard blocks away (yoshi pipe lol) so noise has never bothered me. but thats me ya know

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ive wheeled a lot with them and had them many times ignore the speed limits on trails and about hit me and others so i really dont care i can not stand the sidexside crowd they cause issues and have a massive lack of care for anything and anyone...
So you are saying just driving a sidexside turns people into disrespectful, non-law-abiding, littering, loud music playing maniacs.

Wow, and here I thought this thread was about disrespectful PEOPLE going out and littering the environment and what can be done about it.

I guess I was wrong it has turned into a hate thread on sidexsides and their users.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you are saying just driving a sidexside turns people into disrespectful, non-law-abiding, littering, loud music playing maniacs.

Wow, and here I thought this thread was about disrespectful PEOPLE going out and littering the environment and what can be done about it.

I guess I was wrong it has turned into a hate thread on sidexsides and their users.
when majority of the problems are caused by a singular crowd what ya gonna do? just pointing out facts here man....

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
when majority of the problems are caused by a singular crowd what ya gonna do? just pointing out facts here man....
No you are painting the facts with a pretty broad brush.

I was camping a week ago in Northwest Wisconsin. The campground was packed with older retired couples in their motor coaches pulling their sidexsides. I am pretty sure they were running trails enjoying the fall colors. They were fabulous by the way. I do not think they were speeding around, tearing up the trails, littering and I heard no load music around the campfires in the evening. Do you have a problem with them, they have sidexsides??

This is a societal problem, not limited to any one specific group of people or place or vehicle. It just shows up more in some places. People throw things out their windows on the highway.

HippoTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Gray Ranger Tremor
Anecdotal evidence and all but the people I've seen throwing beercans and jamming with bluetooth speakers have been in those 4 person side by sides. The people I see go in after them with trashbags and clean up are folks in 4x4 Jeeps/Trucks.

At this point it's bad enough I'd say just close off motorized access to the trails where it's a problem. I'd rather bust my ass hiking in to a pristine campsite than drive in to a trashed one.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No you are painting the facts with a pretty broad brush.

I was camping a week ago in Northwest Wisconsin. The campground was packed with older retired couples in their motor coaches pulling their sidexsides. I am pretty sure they were running trails enjoying the fall colors. They were fabulous by the way. I do not think they were speeding around, tearing up the trails, littering and I heard no load music around the campfires in the evening. Do you have a problem with them, they have sidexsides??

This is a societal problem, not limited to any one specific group of people or place or vehicle. It just shows up more in some places. People throw things out their windows on the highway.
that depends on what you are considering a sidexside when most say a sidexside we are talking about a razer or a canam x3 most of the ones older people use are those utility things i wouldnt really call that a sidexside.

btw i was in colorado last month and the amount of times i was about hit by a damn sidexside on trails while on my dual sport was a lot... either young or old driving way to fast or being stupid.. so ya im not a big fan of em...

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Anecdotal evidence and all but the people I've seen throwing beercans and jamming with bluetooth speakers have been in those 4 person side by sides. The people I see go in after them with trashbags and clean up are folks in 4x4 Jeeps/Trucks.

At this point it's bad enough I'd say just close off motorized access to the trails where it's a problem. I'd rather bust my ass hiking in to a pristine campsite than drive in to a trashed one.
ya those 4 person ones are the main ones throwing trash the 2 person ones are normally the ones flying around on trails... id rather not have them closed off but if it comes to it then well it does ill just have to find somewhere else to camp since im not a person that likes to hike lol

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
btw i was in colorado last month and the amount of times i was about hit by a damn sidexside on trails while on my dual sport was a lot... either young or old driving way to fast or being stupid.. so ya im not a big fan of em...
[/QUOTE]

They are increasingly being banned on the streets of many mtn towns, last year as I was descending Imogene pass above Telluride there were 2 signs posted indicating only licensed street legal vehicles are permitted in town, Silverton has banned them , the proliferation of these things is causing numerous problems and I predict there will be increased constraints on them. And I agree they enable ever expanding access to the backcountry for some (too many) people that are clueless.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/06/17/off-highway-vehicles-conflict-colorado-mountains/
https://www.westernslopenow.com/new...act-does-our-recreation-have-on-our-wildlife/
Sponsored