Supercab overlanding rigs

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
I ended up getting a XL with 4x4 so I could beat the snot out of my ranger and not feel super bummed about the pin strips on the sides. I use a ARE MX mid height topper paired with a Decked drawer system for incognito camping ( tall enough I can sit up inside it). Longer term I'm looking at modifying my Deck'd system to accommodate the EZ Topperlift system to raise the entire topper for more space while at camp.

Here is the build thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/steelie-dan-21-xl-ranger-build.12637/
Sponsored

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
I ended up getting a XL with 4x4 so I could beat the snot out of my ranger and not feel super bummed about the pin strips on the sides. I use a ARE MX mid height topper paired with a Decked drawer system for incognito camping ( tall enough I can sit up inside it). Longer term I'm looking at modifying my Deck'd system to accommodate the EZ Topperlift system to raise the entire topper for more space while at camp.

Here is the build thread: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/steelie-dan-21-xl-ranger-build.12637/
Would have gone for a GFC or similar style wedge camper, but I got the ARE MX gently used off CL for 1/3 the current price so I couldn't pass it up.

Shane008

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger
Occupation
HEO4
I just bought this a couple months ago to build into a dedicated overland rig. It’s an XT 4x4 with the factory rear locker. Vinyl flooring with no frills. The truck was almost perfect but I had to find a set of used steelies and take off the chrome wheels. Put a three inch lift , 1.75” wheel spacers and some 265/75/16 Coopers on her to give it a great overlanding stance. Put some ditch lights on the hood and a snorkel just for the cool factor. Also ordered an ARE topper if it will ever show up. I’ve tried to keep the interior clean as possible. I hard wired my Garmin in with a super low profile mount on the dash trey. Found a super cool 3 way switch panel for lights and such on Etsy that mounts between the 12v outlets on the bottom of the dash. Put in some Kryptek seat covers with molle pannel on the rear for first aid and gear. That’s all I’ve done over the past couple months. Let me know if you want any more pictures or info about anything I’ve done… I’d love to share. This is my first ford build and I’m really excited to see what others are doing with their rigs too. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this post!

129C7995-6263-4365-9DCD-CB4B0F72D67A.jpeg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danholmesphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Super Cab, 2019 Mazda 3 hatch,
Occupation
Photographer
DHHolmes_220329_5502_Web.jpg

Absolutely loving both the Ranger super cab and the OvrLnd popup camper! Renogy solar and controller, Dometic fridge, & a simple build. Really happy with the super cab long bed & didn't need the 4 doors or back seat. We upgraded from an Xterra and rooftop tent - 9 years and a lot of use - and are stoked!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I just bought this a couple months ago to build into a dedicated overland rig. It’s an XT 4x4 with the factory rear locker. Vinyl flooring with no frills. The truck was almost perfect but I had to find a set of used steelies and take off the chrome wheels. Put a three inch lift , 1.75” wheel spacers and some 265/75/16 Coopers on her to give it a great overlanding stance. Put some ditch lights on the hood and a snorkel just for the cool factor. Also ordered an ARE topper if it will ever show up. I’ve tried to keep the interior clean as possible. I hard wired my Garmin in with a super low profile mount on the dash trey. Found a super cool 3 way switch panel for lights and such on Etsy that mounts between the 12v outlets on the bottom of the dash. Put in some Kryptek seat covers with molle pannel on the rear for first aid and gear. That’s all I’ve done over the past couple months. Let me know if you want any more pictures or info about anything I’ve done… I’d love to share. This is my first ford build and I’m really excited to see what others are doing with their rigs too. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this post!

129C7995-6263-4365-9DCD-CB4B0F72D67A.jpeg
good looking truck ! i wish i had white or silver.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
A few photos from this winter. I try not to let the snow slow down my adventures.

High Mark Water.jpeg
Shane, the truck looks great - what a slick build and setup you have there!

Is that a converted M100 trailer?

Also, I see reverse lights. ? Did you cross or did something tell you it might not end well? ;)

Shane008

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger
Occupation
HEO4
Shane, the truck looks great - what a slick build and setup you have there!

Is that a converted M100 trailer?

Also, I see reverse lights. ? Did you cross or did something tell you it might not end well? ;)
Thank you! The trailer is a “Covid Home Built” design. I built it in my time off a few years ago. It’s been a game changer for sure.
As for the crossing I was in Arkansas on the High Water Mark trail a few weeks ago and one of the rigs had lost 4wd. I attempted the crossing in two wheel with no success. So I was backing up to link our trucks together for the crossing. Sharp eye through. ? I know water crossings and Rangers is a hot topic on this forum. I’ve extended both diff breathers, the T-case, and transmission breathers. I’ve had no problems with a crossing or taking on water as of yet. No alternator issues either.

Last edited:

JG007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250/ 80 series LC
Occupation
Range Manager
Been out all week in Utah. #montaneranger

9E974117-F4FA-4B38-9D8B-E9A7C276EC8A.jpeg
Looks like you're running the ST Maxx. One of the best tires I have ever run. You are running 265/75/16 correct? Did you notice a big difference from the weight of those tires? They are heavy.

Shane008

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger
Occupation
HEO4
Looks like you're running the ST Maxx. One of the best tires I have ever run. You are running 265/75/16 correct? Did you notice a big difference from the weight of those tires? They are heavy.
I love them. In fact I’m on a new set as of a week ago. 255/85/16 this time around. I really haven’t noticed any difference in the truck due to weight.

EA2E54FB-4C89-47AD-8824-34681830305E.jpeg

JG007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250/ 80 series LC
Occupation
Range Manager
I love them. In fact I’m on a new set as of a week ago. 255/85/16 this time around. I really haven’t noticed any difference in the truck due to weight.

EA2E54FB-4C89-47AD-8824-34681830305E.jpeg
The truck looks great. Congrats.
I will be doing a similar build but thinking about going with a flatbed and then running a flatbed camper in the winter months. Do you like the 33"s better than the 32"s ?
Sponsored