Wheels spacers, are they really that bad?

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I went with 1.25" hub centric spacers for looks on stock 17" tires. looks better, rides better, no issues I'm aware of. Almost exclusivly paved/unpaved roads. No 4 wheeling.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I have a question .. sorry to bring this up but just trying to make sure I really understand.

I have Tremor wheels at 42mm backspacing .. I am adding 1.5” (38mm) Faction Fab spacers. This make the wheels 4mm backspacing effectively with spacers. Wouldn’t the additional wear and tear caused by adding the spacers be the same if I bought wheels with 4mm backspacing ???

thank you all for your help on this.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have a question .. sorry to bring this up but just trying to make sure I really understand.

I have Tremor wheels at 42mm backspacing .. I am adding 1.5” (38mm) Fraction Fab spacers. This make the wheels 4mm backspacing effectively with spacers. Wouldn’t the additional wear and tear caused by adding the spacers be the same if I bought wheels with 4mm backspacing ???

Pretty much.it would be in your best interest to get a new set of wheels with that back spacing vs wheel spacers. Why? Simple, so you dont have the risk of the spacers not being torqued correctly.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty much.it would be in your best interest to get a new set of wheels with that back spacing vs wheel spacers. Why? Simple, so you dont have the risk of the spacers not being torqued correctly.
Thank you .. I agree. Some people have commented how bad spacers are from a wheel bearing, etc. and all the damage they cause. If I go with “0” back space wheels .. I believe it is the same. Just making sure I have this logic down.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
88K, 1" + spacers and +20 wheel offset...zero issues...

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired

I have Tremor wheels at 42mm backspacing .. I am adding 1.5” (38mm) Fraction Fab spacers. This make the wheels 4mm backspacing effectively with spacers. Wouldn’t the additional wear and tear caused by adding the spacers be the same if I bought wheels with 4mm backspacing ???

Assuming you go with high quality spacers like Faction Fab and you make sure they are torqued down and won’t come loose (use some loctite for peace of mind), it is absolutely no different than a wheel with that offset.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming you go with high quality spacers like Faction Fab and you make sure they are torqued down and won’t come loose (use some loctite for peace of mind), it is absolutely no different than a wheel with that offset.
Thank you for helping me check the box … I agree with many, new wheels are better .. I wanted to make sure I understood what I was doing. Thanks again.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
will running Tremor wheel 17X8 -42 be better? it seems like going from the standard fx4 wheels with 55mm offset to the tremor will be a safer set up than spacers, correct?

i am torn between 1" spacers and the tremor wheels
Even though I have them and have no problem....a wheel with no spacer is always safer than a wheel with a spacer. In reality, no matter how bad arse your spacers are....you still run the risk of getting the wheel off light coming on....;)

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Even though I have them and have no problem....a wheel with no spacer is always safer than a wheel with a spacer. In reality, no matter how bad arse your spacers are....you still run the risk of getting the wheel off light coming on....;)
I would be more worried about cheap cast wheels than a spacer on an OEM Ford wheel. Every now and then you see a wheel break off a road car at an open track day.....impressive grip but shouldn't have cheaped out on wheels.

TECHNICALLY yes, not having them is one less failure point but a quality spacer that is installed properly and checked on tire rotations won't give you any surprises. I have zero worries about mine. It comes down to quality of product and quality of install.

will running Tremor wheel 17X8 -42 be better? it seems like going from the standard fx4 wheels with 55mm offset to the tremor will be a safer set up than spacers, correct?

i am torn between 1" spacers and the tremor wheels
I run the Tremor wheels with a 1" wheel spacer and have zero worries. I installed them correctly and check them on tire rotations. I have beat on it off-road and towed with them on. If you get spacers, get a quality set and follow the instructions. Be sure to install them on a clean rotor hub! Rust, dirt and debris can lead to issues so clean the rotor hub surface. Be sure to torque them! Don't guess or just hit it with an impact.

Some recommend thread locker but that is up to you. I don't run thread locker so I do not have issues getting accurate torque spec results when I check them on rotations.

Example here of the FactionFab ones I purchased, nice machining and grade 8 studs.
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/f...ord-ranger-factionfab-10-wheelspacer-set.html

Good luck on your decision.

PXL_20211202_180049191.jpg

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4wd XLT Ionic Silver.
thank you all for the feedback. i am keeping my original wheels which i will combine with 1.5" spacers from FactionFab. i believe that since i am keeping my 265/70/17 tires, i should not have any issues.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
thank you all for the feedback. i am keeping my original wheels which i will combine with 1.5" spacers from FactionFab. i believe that since i am keeping my 265/70/17 tires, i should not have any issues.
With the Bilstein level kit you will likely have zero issues. Worst case maybe need to push the crashbars out a little (loosen, move them away from tire then tighten).

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I have about 15k on my 1” Faction Fab spacers on my 19’ Lariat with 18” wheels. Zero issues. Maybe a slight decrease in MPG.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Off-set is not backspacing. Tremor rims are 42mm off-set not 42mm back space. Skip to 0:40 for a description and visual.

Sponsored