2.3Eco in a Disco

Av8or1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2022 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
So I daily drive a 2019 Ranger - the first one my dealership sold and I love this truck. I've done many overlanding and engine mods, but still have kept it reasonable as a daily driver. An opportunity has come up to grab a 1997 Disco 1 from a buddy sans engine and transmission, and I can build this thing into a dedicated overlander/4 wheeler and not DD it. Since I love my ranger drivetrain so much I think I'm going to buy a crate 2.3L Ecoboost to drop into the land rover. The power output exceeds the original V8, weight is similar and packaging should be fairly easy, and far easier than most LS swaps people do. I have the added bonus of if I have any questions I can reference my ranger's driveline.

The big question I have is regarding transmission. I'm going to do a manual transmission, but there aren't that many adapters to the Land Rover's bullet proof LT230. I could adapt the 2.3L ecoboost to the Jeep AX15 transmission and adapt that to the transfer case but then I'm looking at ~150lbs of just adapters.

I have found a 6R80 adapter to the LT230 - but are there any bolt-up transmissions to the 2.3L Ecoboost that share the output bolt pattern to a 6R80? Any thoughts on using the MTI550 out of a modern Bronco? Or go old school with a M5R2?

Or ditch the 2.3 idea and do a Cummins R2.8?

Pic of the soon-to-be mine Disco 1 for attention.
1705931394546.png
Sponsored

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The R2.8 swap is pretty well known in these and kind of suits the Discovery and its intent.

OP
OP
Av8or1

Av8or1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The R2.8 swap is pretty well known in these and kind of suits the Discovery and its intent.
For sure and that was my first thought... but looking into it further the R2.8 will be 200 lbs heavier and cost about $4k more - even if using the Ford control module. I also have a 2.3L at home to reference if I run into any issues, and frankly I really like this engine in my Ranger.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
For sure and that was my first thought... but looking into it further the R2.8 will be 200 lbs heavier and cost about $4k more - even if using the Ford control module. I also have a 2.3L at home to reference if I run into any issues, and frankly I really like this engine in my Ranger.
I like the 2.3 Ecoboost too. Great engine with great potential. Just stay away from the 10R80!!!!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Instead of buying an expensive crate motor, I'd look at a Copart 2.3Ecobost Mustang, maybe?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
How to you handle the ECU/PCU when installing such an engine?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
OP
OP
Av8or1

Av8or1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
How to you handle the ECU/PCU when installing such an engine?
Ford sells a standalone harness/kit exclusively for doing engine swaps with their 2.3L Ecoboost (well, all of their crate engines). It's a pretty common swap in the mustang and legacy Ranger world as I've recently learned.

I've done a crapton of research in the last few days, and I bought the adapter to go from a 10R80 to the LT230 transfer case of the Disco. Luckily the Bronco transmission MT88 is the same spline and output bolt pattern as the 10R80 so this will work great. It may be tricky actually sourcing a MT88 but I imagine as more bronco's get built, then crashed there will be more and more available. Disappointingly, Ford Performance was no help (so far) in answering questions about this build.

For the engine itself I'm torn about doing a Ford crate engine vs. a copart Ranger or Mustang ecoboost. I *know* i can get the crate engine to work, but don't know what issues I might run into with a PCM from a wrecked car.

It'll be nice to do an offroad build where many of the parts are still on the production line... When trying to find avenues to build the Disco out I just ran into dead end after dead end of older parts that are no longer supported or are unobtanium.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
thats an interesting possibility. The reliability of a ford engine off the shelf mixed with the ability of the rover and inside room... :) I dont have any info on the matter but i bet a transmission to mate up would likely be a custom fab up situation. Ford and range rover did have a partnership for a hot minute or three but i dont think much or any of it made it to trucks or suvs. Ive heard a whisper or three that the ranger and bronco goat modes and trail control were courtesy of range rover... no proof of it. maybe something like the tremecs??? i know they have stuff that will fit many fords off the shelf, maybe the getrags could be worth a go. keep us updated this sounds like a fun project.

OP
OP
Av8or1

Av8or1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Aaand it's in its home for hopefully not too long. Now the fun begins.
20240430_150725.jpg
20240430_150659.jpg

Also the Ranger kicks butt towing! It had no problem for 500 miles, the only issue was above 70mph the rover would walk around behind me so I had to limit the speed to 65 all the way home.

Last edited: