First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Ag
My thoughts on the 5 star tune on my ranger so far....

Tuner was priced like most, shipped quick, fine. I ordered 87 daily, 87 performance, and 89 performance files with the device. Then - slight problem. They sent a blank tuner. No files on it. Had me confused for an hour like I didn't see something. Turns out, they just forgot. Called 8:30 am next day, no answer. Called 8:45, guy apologized and said they would be in my email by the end of they day. I thought I was lied to, but luckily they did actually send me the files at 4:40pm, thankfully. But they still had to load on the device, which was 30 mins of my time that could've been avoided.

89 Gas is not at most pumps near me, just 87 and 91+, and I just can't fathom the extra dollar a gallon would save/help my fuel economy much, and it's not good for my wallet. I do have a heavy foot, a leveling kit, roof basket, knobby-ish 255's, so I can't really complain about poor MPGs, but I'll make it super clear that the tune makes MPGs worse unlike diesels and some gassers. I'm mainly in the 87 daily/tow, because it shifts much better and doesn't destroy MPGs. If I have 87 performance on I might get 11 MPGs. 13 with Daily, 15 stock. Granted I'm doing midwest highway driving and the cruise is always set to 80, which the 4 cyl does not do well with. I expected to lose maybe 1-2, not 4MPGs with perf tune. Have driven 2000+ miles with it, but have not loaded the 89 perf tune on yet. Although she might get premium anyway every 4th or 5th fill up - premium has better MPGs, but not enough to truly justify the money from what I've noticed.

Performance wise - hell yea! It shifts much better than stock, like the gears actually know what to do. Hard shifts sometimes, but personally I like the more aggressive feel. Someone said a faster shift is better than a slow one for slippage reasons, I'm not sure if that's true, but I'll keep the optimism with me. Speed wise, it still surprises me that my little 4cyl truck is capable of the speed. Over 1 second faster 0-60, better sounds too. I really do like it especially overtaking.

So,
Customer Service - Meh
Performance - Yes!
MPGs - expect to lose some
Tuner unit - 10 mins to load tune, mostly straightforward.
Sponsored