Black lug nuts by Ford fit?

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
Funny Fords lug nuts always turn into a discussion. I ended getting the Gorilla Lug Nuts for the F150 and been very pleased with them.
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I guess I made a $100 mistake. 😔

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it! Time to correct the error of my ways....

👍

EDIT: I figured out what I did wrong now that it has been pointed out to me.... I was looking on the McGard webpage and basically got "bulge" hallucinations after looking at all the variations. When I got to the kit I thought I read "bulge" in the description. Alas, no.

Bugs me that McGard doesn't sell a bulge version of the locking lug nut. I think I remember (but again, I could be hallucinating) that McGard says a non-bulge locking lug nut still works? I'm not sure I like that idea. So, maybe Gorilla...?

EDIT #2: Nope, it wasn't hallucinating, it was "assuming." When I ordered the lug nut set for the Ranger I also ordered one for my BL Bronco Sport. THAT kit has bulge cone lug nuts. So I dropped what I thought was the Ranger equivalent into my basket and ordered it.
Most lock nuts aren't worth the cost or effort to have. The average wheel thief targeting anything specific, will have the basic cheater tools to defeat the common lock nuts.

Also, factory Ranger rims, really only fit Rangers and don't carry top end demand for thieves. If you have very expensive after market wheels or rubber, there is slightly higher risk, but still, being a not common bolt pattern greatly reduces the demand for Ranger wheels. If I were on factory rims, average tires, I wouldn't even bother with wheel locks.

YMMV

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired Army / Disabled Vet
Posting the following to add to the knowledge base.

I emailed McGard about the (non-bulge) 84658 kit and here's the answer I received:

"Thank you for reaching out with your concerns. McGard has done a physical application check on these vehicles at local dealerships. ...[T]he 84658 for your Ranger....[does] have sufficient seating surface to fasten the original equipment wheels with no issue. I understand there is a difference between the original equipment bulge cone lug nut and the lug nuts that come in those installation kit but I can assure you there is no complication in using those installation kits on your vehicles."

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
The one thing I can say about the black lug nuts (in general) is the finish will scratch when the bozo at the dealership rotates your tires with a pneumatic air gun...

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
The one thing I can say about the black lug nuts (in general) is the finish will scratch when the bozo at the dealership rotates your tires with a pneumatic air gun...
Oh-Be-Juan would ask:

Who's more the Bozo? The Bozo at the dealership who scratches them, or the Bozo who brings it to the Bozo at the dealership?

LOL, jus' teasin cuz I like that OB-1 quote, ha ha.

hookem57

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Driver
Can anyone confirm the Ford Performance black lug nuts #M-1012K-BR https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1012K-BR will fit the OE Tremor wheels? The Ford site as well as Levittown generically say they fit but neither specifically addresses Tremor. Summit has the best price but their site says no fit.

Thanks for any help from personal experience.
I have the Tremor and I put Gor
Can anyone confirm the Ford Performance black lug nuts #M-1012K-BR https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1012K-BR will fit the OE Tremor wheels? The Ford site as well as Levittown generically say they fit but neither specifically addresses Tremor. Summit has the best price but their site says no fit.

Thanks for any help from personal experience.
I have the Tremor and I put Gorilla's on mine

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I switched to the Gorillas - black 3/4”. I only have them on in summer months and switch back to the OEM chrome ones when I put on the winter wheels/tires.
When doing the switchover this fall, I noticed rust on every lug nut. Gorilla only warrantees these for 1 year. I reached out to them despite having purchased these in late 2021. No luck.

I guess I’ll be cleaning these up and painting them before spring. Maybe time to try the “plastic bag trick”. Seems like a good excuse to pay way too much for some fancy socket.

IMG_1927.jpeg
Sponsored