KO3 Tire Sizes

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Hey I know the KO3 tires are new and not available in many sizes, but do you have these in 265/70/17?

Im on your site and I see them there, but want to confirm, as I don't see them available on the BFgoodrich site. .

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko3

Also do you recommend a C rating or should I wait for an E rating to come out? This is my daily driver that I want to take it every once in a while off road on some trails/ sandy places. Maybe some smaller rocks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
There's nothing wrong with a c load range tire going off-road. I've taken a few different p-rated tires off-road with no major problems. I've actually gone off-road plenty with some load range c tires when I had my 93 Pathfinder. Main thing is selecting the right tire for the job

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i was looking at the ko3 about a week ago. After a couple emails back and forth to BFG and looking at them in person I have a few impressions / claims.

1. they are more street and wet road friendly than the ko2.
2. durability and miles expected is about the same except when used on pavement only.
3. The ko3 tread pattern is better in winter weather such as snow than the ko2. worth mentioning the ko2 and ko3 are both 3 peak mtn snow flake rated for serious winter weather.
4. if your main use of the tires is as an all terrain tire to be off road in mixed conditions the ko2 is still the best choice. if the main use is on road and going off pavement on rare occasion the ko3 is a great bet.
5. the Ko3 will likely last more street miles than the ko2 based on the patterns of tread.

i know thats a lot of claims from me when BFG is calling these the newest best etc. but read what they put out carefully. i also based my claims on the info they set me directly. I asked them a long list of specific questions, some of which they side stepped lol. but they were very friendly. The ko3 tread is much tighter pattern than the ko2. less groves in the ko3 and less empty spaces in the ko3. if you see one of each in person it is very easy to spot. the ko3 was deigned to be a more road friendly "more buyer friendly to a wider customer base" than the ko2 while still having off road chops.
the ko3 will end up selling a lot more tires to more buyers as it is tuned to the wider audience.
The ko2 is not a really street friendly tire. sure lots of folks use them on the street me included. however they stink on wet roads, they can be noisy and ride rough when compared to an all season street tire in similar size / application. They are not as mpg friendly as other tire options either. But dont take this the wrong way - they are great tires. it is simply that the ko2 was made to be exactly what they called it, an off road on road tough capable tire in all terrains, sand, mud, snow, rocks, gravel, dirt, and pavement. it was based on decades of off road race only tires in pretty tough environments. so they took a baja 1000 tire and put it in a "highway approved" wrapper. im sure the ko3 will be a great tire for the majority of users, BFG and Michelin have a long history of quality products.

OP
OP
Conman50

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any other tire you would recommend? I wanted to stick with the KO2 or 3 because the light weight compared to some other options.

Would you go with the TRAIL-TERRAIN T/A?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
It depends on your main use. If off road ability is the primary goal the ko2 is tough to beat for an all terrain. The trail terrain looks to be a very street friendly tire that's up to dirt and gravel roads but not serious off road. I'd say the ko3 is in between the other two. What's the main use of your truck?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm not a BFG Guy. I myself like the Firestone Destination XT's which are available in load range E in the size you want. That said I can promise it is much lighter than the KO2 in Load Rang E and I think about the same as a load range C KO2

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
Conman50

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on your main use. If off road ability is the primary goal the ko2 is tough to beat for an all terrain. The trail terrain looks to be a very street friendly tire that's up to dirt and gravel roads but not serious off road. I'd say the ko3 is in between the other two. What's the main use of your truck?
Mostly street. I just want to make sure if I go out to the desert or go out on some mountain trails I don't get stuck. Also trying to get decent MPG, that's why im going after something lighter rather than something like the Falken AT4

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Mostly street. I just want to make sure if I go out to the desert or go out on some mountain trails I don't get stuck. Also trying to get decent MPG, that's why im going after something lighter rather than something like the Falken AT4
I have had the Falken AT4 for three months now and really like them.

OP
OP
Conman50

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious if you've tracked your MPG before and after the tire change and if you noticed a decrease

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
That makes sense. I've heard good about the Falken wildpeaks. For mostly street I'd say the ko2 is overkill. Getting stuck is possible despite the best of plans or tires lol. On terms of mpg and tire weight the impact is minimal for just about any size that fits a stock ranger 5g. I run ko2 load e tires and often carry 3 spares all ko2 load e and have a 12k winch, bull bar and winch mount light bar , extra fuel food water tools- the works and I still avg 20 mpg. Empty and bone stock I got 22.5 or so.

Granger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Any other tire you would recommend? I wanted to stick with the KO2 or 3 because the light weight compared to some other options.

Would you go with the TRAIL-TERRAIN T/A?
I have the Trail Terrain T/A's in 255/75/17. I get around 18 MPG with mixed driving. I did have to change my acceleration habits from a complete stop. For now, I mainly do street driving with some dirt paths. Tires are quiet and seems to do well in wet conditions, much better than the factory tires that I let get bald in the rear.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
to be fair my truck does have the ford perfomance pack tune and filter. so maybe that helps my mpg a bit. but i doubt by much if any.

OP
OP
Conman50

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone is interested in when you can get 265/70/17 KO3....the answer is NOW

I believe the KO3 is what's on the new Raptor Ranger