Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Hey Frank/Stage3,

Returning customer looking for a solution for a simple bedrack to fit over the Gator SRX cover. I have a SuperCrew with the 5' bed.

I know it isn't a listed "compatible" cover, but I don't see why the TruXedo Elevate 5' rails wouldn't work (part # 1118329).

Pairing that with a quad-set of the Rhino Rack RLT600 legs and RR Black Vortex Bar should be exactly what I need to get started.

My main questions are - do you see any issues with the Gator cover and the TruXedo rails? And if the rails don't work, what are the S3 policies for returning something that large? S3 total for this kit comes to $560 in the cart. Any available discounts for these items? I don't need them immediately, so if there's an upcoming sale or something, I'm good waiting. Would like them for ski season.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
My main questions are - do you see any issues with the Gator cover and the TruXedo rails? And if the rails don't work, what are the S3 policies for returning something that large? S3 total for this kit comes to $560 in the cart. Any available discounts for these items? I don't need them immediately, so if there's an upcoming sale or something, I'm good waiting. Would like them for ski season.
From looking at the Gator Cover, the Elevate rails should work just fine. The only potential issue right now is that we (and I don't think TruXedo has either) haven't tested the RLT600s with the Elevate rails specifically, though we're hoping to soon. I have a set of 5.5ft Elevate rails in my garage with RLT600s on the way, so we'll see for ourselves shortly.

The only potential issue really is whether or not the RLT600's included T-slot nuts are the right size for the rails. In our experience, Rhino Rack's T-slot nuts have been a smidge too wide for a lot of the semi-universal T-slot stuff out there (namely the Pace Edwards Explorer series tonneaus). Not that it's a HUGE deal. A couple minutes of grinding or a trip to the hardware store for different nuts would work.

As for the Vortex bars, you'll just have to measure the width of your bed and get the ones you need.

TL;DR: absolutely doable with the Gator SRX, though we don't know all the idiosyncrasies of the Elevate rails and various feet/leg systems yet.

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
From looking at the Gator Cover, the Elevate rails should work just fine. The only potential issue right now is that we (and I don't think TruXedo has either) haven't tested the RLT600s with the Elevate rails specifically, though we're hoping to soon. I have a set of 5.5ft Elevate rails in my garage with RLT600s on the way, so we'll see for ourselves shortly.

The only potential issue really is whether or not the RLT600's included T-slot nuts are the right size for the rails. In our experience, Rhino Rack's T-slot nuts have been a smidge too wide for a lot of the semi-universal T-slot stuff out there (namely the Pace Edwards Explorer series tonneaus). Not that it's a HUGE deal. A couple minutes of grinding or a trip to the hardware store for different nuts would work.

As for the Vortex bars, you'll just have to measure the width of your bed and get the ones you need.

TL;DR: absolutely doable with the Gator SRX, though we don't know all the idiosyncrasies of the Elevate rails and various feet/leg systems yet.
Thanks Jason! This is exactly the detailed info I've been looking for. It's been a bit of a chore to determine the proper kit. I looked at options from Thule, Yakima and Rhino and just really couldn't determine what was compatible with what. I know I need the Elevate rails, but after that it's been kind of annoying to find the right kit. Even the native manufacturer websites where you "build" your kit isn't straightforward as to how everything might go together and if certain legs/bases are T-Slot compatible. It's been a crash course in rack terminology over the last two weeks for sure.

That said, maybe I'll hold off until I hear whether there are any major issues with the Elevate rails and the RLT600's, although it sounds like it'll just be minor. I'd be happy to do any testing with the Elevate rails and different T-Slot legs if Stage3 would need some outside input ;).

Please let me know how you make out with the Elevate and RTL600 combo.

Ty

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Please let me know how you make out with the Elevate and RTL600 combo.

Ty
They worked just fine:

ck%20RLT600%20and%20TruXedo%20Elevate%20Rails%2000.jpg

ck%20RLT600%20and%20TruXedo%20Elevate%20Rails%2001.jpg

ck%20RLT600%20and%20TruXedo%20Elevate%20Rails%2002.jpg

I'll hopefully have them on the truck tomorrow (though it's supposed to be hot as hell again, so we'll see).

Only minor issue is that pushing the T-slot nuts in initially is a bit tight, those it's supposed to be so that the end caps stay on. A whack with my palm got them in, and then they slid down the rest of the rail length without issues.

So yes, the Rhino Rack RLT600 feet/legs work just fine on the Elevate rails.

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
So I wasn’t able to get the correct length crossbars in time for my camping trip this weekend (71” for the F150s), however, the included cleats with the Elevate TS rails still came in very handy;

DDF05F8C-B334-43A7-BECC-4F8529EBCAC4.jpeg

Paired with a Rightline Sport Jr. Car Top Carrier.

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
So I wasn’t able to get the correct length crossbars in time for my camping trip this weekend (71” for the F150s), however, the included cleats with the Elevate TS rails still came in very handy;

DDF05F8C-B334-43A7-BECC-4F8529EBCAC4.jpeg

Paired with a Rightline Sport Jr. Car Top Carrier.
Looks great! How much additional space do you lose with those rails? Since they mount inside and the Gator also mounts inside, how much additional bed width is lost? Less than an inch on each side?

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Looks great! How much additional space do you lose with those rails? Since they mount inside and the Gator also mounts inside, how much additional bed width is lost? Less than an inch on each side?
Not much. The portion that sits against the bed rail is pretty thin:

And you do gain a little bit of height. Granted, the 2009-2014 F150s have bed caps with HUGE ridges in them, so the Elevate rails ride higher on my truck than they likely will on the Rangers. Not to mention, the older F150's bed caps are canted slightly. The Elevate Rails come with foam shims to correct this, but I just did not care.

The only real issue I have is that the extra height did make it so the front seal of the tonneau isn't fully engaging with the front of the bed against the cab and the foam strip that TruXedo includes with the TS Rails isn't quite tall enough. However, I think that's more of a quirk with the Deuce tonneau I'm using, since the fold-back mechanism means it can't have a tight seal up front to begin with.

I'll probably just end up stacking the foam, since they include enough.

OP
OP
SILK

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Not much. The portion that sits against the bed rail is pretty thin:

And you do gain a little bit of height. Granted, the 2009-2014 F150s have bed caps with HUGE ridges in them, so the Elevate rails ride higher on my truck than they likely will on the Rangers. Not to mention, the older F150's bed caps are canted slightly. The Elevate Rails come with foam shims to correct this, but I just did not care.

The only real issue I have is that the extra height did make it so the front seal of the tonneau isn't fully engaging with the front of the bed against the cab and the foam strip that TruXedo includes with the TS Rails isn't quite tall enough. However, I think that's more of a quirk with the Deuce tonneau I'm using, since the fold-back mechanism means it can't have a tight seal up front to begin with.

I'll probably just end up stacking the foam, since they include enough.
To be honest, the added height will probably benefit me. I have an issue where the Gator slowly rides down over time and I have to keep adjusting the rails up. I'm not impressed with the clamps and the inner bedrails on the Ranger are only 1/2" at the most so there's not much for it to grab onto. The little rubber flap at the bulkhead is also angled toward the back meaning that when it rains, water hits it and is sent into the bed. Having a higher cover may allow this flap to point down/toward the front so the water rolls off. I appreciate all the pics and info on this!

Dr_Elliott

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Chiropractor
Ty,
I too went thru the same dilemma of which tonneau rack combo. Leaning towards the Truxedo. I ended up with a Gator HR1 and an ADARAC Aluminum Contour Truck Rack. You do need to drill three holes in each bed rail, but it's super stable, supports up to 500lbs, and it doesn't mess with the tonneau cover at all. It has square Thule-style bars and fits all my Yakima and Thule accessories well. I felt it was reasonably priced as well, I paid $444.95 in April. They have gone up a little since, as most everything has. If you want the rails to just be over the bed, they make ADARAC M Series Aluminum Sport Truck Rack. These shorter ones heightwise are a little less expensive as well.

I have the same rail system on my Gator HR1 and it took me a few tries and moving them a little to really get the rails and clamps to bite. Once I had then pushed hard again the side of the truck bed rails using vise clamps, I was able to get the Gator clamps better locked on. Once I did they've stayed in place for the last 6 months. Good luck
20210605_154731.jpg

Brianj67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Firefighter
Ty,
I too went thru the same dilemma of which tonneau rack combo. Leaning towards the Truxedo. I ended up with a Gator HR1 and an ADARAC Aluminum Contour Truck Rack. You do need to drill three holes in each bed rail, but it's super stable, supports up to 500lbs, and it doesn't mess with the tonneau cover at all. It has square Thule-style bars and fits all my Yakima and Thule accessories well. I felt it was reasonably priced as well, I paid $444.95 in April. They have gone up a little since, as most everything has. If you want the rails to just be over the bed, they make ADARAC M Series Aluminum Sport Truck Rack. These shorter ones heightwise are a little less expensive as well.

I have the same rail system on my Gator HR1 and it took me a few tries and moving them a little to really get the rails and clamps to bite. Once I had then pushed hard again the side of the truck bed rails using vise clamps, I was able to get the Gator clamps better locked on. Once I did they've stayed in place for the last 6 months. Good luck
20210605_154731.jpg
Just joined the forum recently and have been searching for a bed rack. Found the M series based on your comment. Placed my order today! Just looking to carry a Thule box or maybe a couple of bikes. Looks perfect. Do you have any pics of where you drilled?
Sponsored