Engine noise coming from a shutoff engine

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
I noticed this too when messing with Forscan, which I believe is important, because it only happens when the power is on but engine off.

If you shut everything off, it stops. Don't have a mechanic stethoscope but it sounded like VCT or cabin control heat pump kind of area, front passenger side of the motor
Sponsored

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Mine definitely makes this noise when the truck is fully powered off and locked.

OP
OP

tjsouth51

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Ok, we have verified Grumpaw's Gnome is paying you a visit. :LOL:

Now to isolate where it is coming from.

I hear rain in the background and focusing on the Whistle Sound

To me the sound appears to be an actuator moving (Something Metalic) Resonance
So, ref my video and see if the Wastegate Actuator is moving when it does this

But:

Due to the high pitch decibel of the sound, it sounds like the Car Horn or Alarm Horn is partially sounding with a small amount of voltage being applied.

Try this:
Just for a quick check if it makes any noted change.

When it's doing this every 15 Seconds or so.
Take the FOB and press the door lock button (2-Times) to activate the door lock feedback confirmation horn trigger. You should get a Quick Double Honk
or
Press the Panic Button on the FOB to get the Car Horn to sound off.

Try this with Driver's Window Down

Reach in and Press the Car Horn on the Steering Wheel

Now let's test the Car Alarm Horn

With Driver's window down and truck locked and FOB and Phone away from the truck.
Reach in and open the Driver's Door from the inside handle.
This will trigger the Anti-Theft Alarm
You will need to go back inside the house and get the FOB and press the Unlock Button to reset the alarm or start the truck.

For Ref:
Both Horns are located by the Driver's Side headlight assembly
Car Horn = Double Horn Assembly
Alarm Horn = Single Horn Assembly

One other thing I can think of that could possibly be triggering that sound would be in the VCT - Variable Camshaft Timing solenoids trying to activate without oil pressure to move the actuators.

VCT - Solenoid Location

1706378433812.png

Another Possible that comes to mind would be the Cabin Coolant Heat Pump

This Pump activates when the ASS is active and you have heat selected, this keeps the Coolant Flow through the Heater Core with the engine off (ASS Active and Engine Off)

Cabin Control Heat Pump - Location

1706378923416.png

Another possible would be the HP Fuel Pump, now the HP Pump itself is driven by the Camshaft but the LP Fuel Pump (Electric) may be triggering on and trying to Prime the Fuel Rail in a non-normal manner, and the sound may be the fuel rail dumping excess pressure.
So, the command for the Fuel Pump Prime circuit may be stuck in Prime.

HP Fuel Pump - Location

1706380370059.png

I tried to imagine everything possible that would be attempting to power and MOVE or PRESSURIZE in a Non-Normal situation and produce a sound.

The above is all that come to mind at the moment.

Your best option to locate the sound is to get a mechanics stethoscope and attempt to locate where the Gnome is hiding and inform him Grumpaw needs to have a long talk with him.

I will say this is a baffling noise, but just needs a little help in pinpointing it down.

Keep us posted on what you find.
The extraneous noise is wind, it’s been windy in Yuma. Hasn’t made the noise in two days.

OP
OP

tjsouth51

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
The extraneous noise is wind, it’s been windy in Yuma. Hasn’t made the noise in two days.
It’s low and front of the engine

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i expected it to be the rtd2 noises that made me pass some unexpected gas while under the truck changing oil. but that sounds much different.

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 BMW M235, Volcon Grunt
Occupation
Financial advisor
Post the recording, it is possibly the sound of the of the TCU powering up the modules for a Communication Check-Up from Ford Pass.
It does this from time to time and also IF the Sync is set to Auto Update it will attempt to connect to WI-FI and connect or ATTEMPT to update - OTA, Note I am stressing ATTEMPT.

Plus: If your phone is near the truck, sometimes it will self-communicate and prep for an intended engine start.
Proximity of your Phone to the Truck is the Key Factor
This, powers up the Wake Circuit and the Low Press fuel pump will prime, and the Waste Gate Actuator will cycle - Just like it does when you open the driver's door.

Testing so far shows that the FOB itself does not cause this, it's only when the Phone is is proximity of the truck for the Full On - wake Up cycle.

I will say that if you look at the Ford Pass App, it communicates at periods when you are not driving or around the truck.
As noted via the Vehicle Tab within the App, from time to time you will see Last Updated at a time when you were asleep or at work and nowhere near the truck.

I dug into this as just after purchase as I was spraying Fluid Film (Anti-Corrosion)
and this sound started, it was unexpected and unknown what the heck it was at the time, but let's just say within 2 seconds I went from being on my back to standing upright beside the truck.

This is the Wastegate Actuator - Cycle when the Driver's Door is opened. (Wake Up Circuit)
Triggered by the Courtesy Lights powering on via the Door Ajar Switch

As viewed from the Passenger Side - Wheel Well

I have a hunch this is the sound you are hearing and would explain why it did not do it while at the Dealer, Your Phone was not near the truck.

I've heard mine do this or similar when off for hours as well, when I'm in the garage when I'm about 15' away it. Likely had my phone out there with Fordpass app, perhaps thats it

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I've heard mine do this or similar when off for hours as well, when I'm in the garage when I'm about 15' away it. Likely had my phone out there with Fordpass app, perhaps thats it
Thanks for the laugh. (signature pic)

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Mine does this when my phone and fob are in the other end of the house. Fordpass force stopped. At first this was startling while working in the garage, but got used to it. Figure it is just my Ranger's way of saying, "Let's go for a drive!"

I've never noticed this while parked in a parking lot. Anyone else ?

Edit: typo repair

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
My does this when my phone and fob are in the other end of the house. Fordpass force stopped. At it first this was startling while working in the garage, but got used to it. Figure it is just my Ranger's way of saying, "Let's go for a drive!"

I've never noticed this while parked in a parking lot. Anyone else ?
Hmm - Good point, if this is true and it only does it at home, then it would be related to WI-FI connection to your router.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It’s low and front of the engine
So, to confirm- the whistle noise at the beginning and about 15 seconds later is wind blowing (resonant) whistle across plastic parts / holes.
and it is coming from low and front of the engine.

My mental (hearing) is now taking me to using a Zebco fishing reel on a windy lake :crazy:

OP
OP

tjsouth51

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
So, to confirm- the whistle noise at the beginning and about 15 seconds later is wind blowing (resonant) whistle across plastic parts / holes.
and it is coming from low and front of the engine.

My mental (hearing) is now taking me to using a Zebco fishing reel on a windy lake :crazy:
No wind causing the buzzing sound, no WiFi. I’m in an RV park. At home I have WiFi and it didn’t do this until this past week

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
After exhausting my brain of what the sound would possibly be coming from, I thought outside the box and thought WHAT IF?

I now have a very STRONG HUNCH; I know what it is.

It is possible that it's a Tracking Device some dealers install to protect the truck while sitting on their lot and remain installed after being sold or stay on the truck to protect their Lein Holding in case of defaulted loan.

I am now highly leaning towards a Tracking Device that has a Low Battery, I am basing my evidence on its a Timed Event and it makes the most logical sense.
The most effective way to prove this would be disconnect the battery when it is beeping and see if it stops.
If it does not stop - it's a device battery that is low on power.

Related: Engine Beeping Sound

Beeping from engine compartment?! | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

Although - No resolution on finding source in the thread
I do wonder if it is a Dealer Installed - Tracking Device (Hidden) on the truck.

Related Tracking Thread

Anyone know what this button is for? | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

And Related Video of one found on a Ram

Tracking Device Found on My RAM! (youtube.com)

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
One other possible being that you have mentioned WIND in your descriptions.
It is possible (IF) you have the extra device (Permitter PLUS) alarm system that picks up vibration (Shock)
In the video - it is raining, and you mention Wind.
It is possible the (Vibration / Shock) sensor is attempting to trigger the Alarm.

For now, I am out of ideas.
Keep us posted on your findings.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
For Ref:

Truck Horn Location

1706538436557.png