Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Its not whining...its people who want their voices heard, and that's fair. I respect that this transmission has blemishes and some people sadly can't avoid it.
But there's a fine line where problems can be discussed and solutions found...or fear mongering is created, perpetuated and what not.
Looking at some of the posts in the many threads, you can't deny the latter is happening to some degree.
10 guys can climb on a pulpit and pound their chests saying the trans is garbage. 100 can do the same and say it's great, but then 100 with hints of problems with nothing confirmed then join the 10 guys because they're louder and more active in their posts drowning out the 100 with zero problems. Its like a pyramid scheme on a merry go round. The collective posts don't reflect the actual problem accurately anymore, its the vocal minority that stands out.
Its a good way to get Ford to make a change, bad publicity is never good.
Until they refund me the cost my replacement, Ford is doo doo…
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Did they replace the cdf drum?
no they didnt sadly. when mine was in for it the tsb didnt allow it. after that when i took it back they firmly stuck to the nothings wrong with it story then told me i voided warranty by changing the shocks to aftermarket --- despite the factory rear shocks being totally useless after less than 20k lol.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
they firmly stuck to the nothings wrong with it story then told me i voided warranty by changing the shocks to aftermarket.
That is the most asinine reasoning I have ever heard. I would have flipped my lid.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Until they refund me the cost my replacement, Ford is doo doo…
Your experience pretty much alerted this whole forum and I feel the same. It drove a lot of research here and I think some folks got some type of resolution whether dramatically reduced cost (bogus in Ford's part) or free. I'm curious who is in the hook for what expenses besides the customer - does Ford provide parts and the dealer eats the labor (or doesn't)?

I've resigned myself - since I really like my Ranger - that if for some bizarre reason they decide something I've done to my truck that has nothing to do with the mechanical failure of a transmission that I'd get mine rebuilt - but I'd have it done right expecting it to go to the crusher with the truck way after I'm done with it. (Currently at 41K miles)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your experience pretty much alerted this whole forum and I feel the same. It drove a lot of research here and I think some folks got some type of resolution whether dramatically reduced cost (bogus in Ford's part) or free. I'm curious who is in the hook for what expenses besides the customer - does Ford provide parts and the dealer eats the labor (or doesn't)?

I've resigned myself - since I really like my Ranger - that if for some bizarre reason they decide something I've done to my truck that has nothing to do with the mechanical failure of a transmission that I'd get mine rebuilt - but I'd have it done right expecting it to go to the crusher with the truck way after I'm done with it. (Currently at 41K miles)
I too love my Ranger...it just better not grenade another tranny or I'm going to drive it through FHQ's front lobby...of course I'd have to fix it again first...damn it...

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I too love my Ranger...it just better not grenade another tranny or I'm going to drive it through FHQ's front lobby...
I've wondered if you got the newer CDF drum but recall your rebuild might have been before the update so that might be a issue.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've wondered if you got the newer CDF drum but recall your rebuild might have been before the update so that might be a issue.
I just hope the transmission that they installed into my truck from their inventory was a newer "fixed" version...no way to know but I have another 3 years/100k mile warranty to find out...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
im still impressed sid got almost 100k out of one.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
From what I've found onine some time in 2022 (late) production of the 10R80 switched to a new/improved CDF drum design. It would be useful to find out if you have the previous design and the manufacture date of your truck.
True - If you read the latest TSB, build date after 8/15/22, The TSB stops at the Main Valve Body replacement. Build on or before 8/15/22 - After Main Valve Body, If No-Help, then proceeds to the CDF Drum replacement.

Ironically, my blend date is 8/16/22. So, it looks like I am one of the first redesigned drums if I am reading it correctly.

Now it does not specifically state it is redesigned, just date specific noted in the TSB this service procedure notes as to proceed with the CDF Drum replacement.

Other Noted Date Specific:

On or before Nov 1 2021 - Perform relearn, if no help Valve Body, if no help CDF Drum
After Nov 1 2021 - Valve Body, if no help CDF Drum

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
so here is an update on mine... my dealer was rather useless i told them my truck did this at random and some days it drove fine while others it didnt and i would have to leave it behind because it wouldnt move... they drive it for 15mins determined it was fine and gave it back... they claim they checked fluids but when asking the tech he said they just drove it around... so my dealer wasnt helpful at all hopefully you all can get better help from a dealer.

atm im going to put this back to stock and sell it. no more fords going back to imports.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
no they didnt sadly. when mine was in for it the tsb didnt allow it. after that when i took it back they firmly stuck to the nothings wrong with it story then told me i voided warranty by changing the shocks to aftermarket --- despite the factory rear shocks being totally useless after less than 20k lol.
Thats insane, I am on a full lift kit with 4 new shocks, they covered mine, you need to go to a different dealer and raise hell

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel
Its not whining...its people who want their voices heard, and that's fair.
Exactly.

Whine away, because if you have this or any of the other problems that are seemingly common and don’t, well you’ve got more money than me.

if I buy a 40? 50? Thousand dollar truck I sure as hell expect it to NOT have ANY problems. Ford built it, a Ford dealer sold it and they both have your money.
Sponsored