Alignment after Bilstein 5100 Kit

Bladesmith

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi all. New here, but have appreciated all the info I’ve been able to find about my new to me 2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat. Just had the Bilstein 5100’s installed (x 4), set mid range at 1.2”. New Tires. Had the tire shop do an alignment. As you can see from the printout, the Left Caster is 1.2 degrees off from the right (and seemingly worse than pre-alignment?). The tech said it was close as they could get it but it was fine, I’d never notice. He seems to be incorrect. It pulls noticeably to the left. So I plan to take it back, but I know if I just tell them to fix it I’ll be met with blank stares. Can someone who knows more about alignment and suspension than me give some insight as to what specific directions I should give when I return?

IMG_5926.jpeg
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
It should actually pull to the right slightly. The side with the least caster. I think they should be able to get it in spec though.

FrostedTurkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Earth Human
They should be able to get it fine. This is my 2022 xlt alignment after 2inch setting on the 5100s. This was done at 16k. I have 20k now no issues or pulling. Where did you go? Dealer or tire chain? I would argue that the value is red and out of range but compared to my values it looks different. They shouldn't have done the alignment if something was damaged or broken and let you know first. I would ask them to make sure they had the correct vehicle in the system. I went to Les Schwab but they are not bad in my area. Hope this helps
20240504_075130.jpg

Last edited:

FrostedTurkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Earth Human
Sorry for the double post- have you inspected the suspension? For the caster to be off that means the shock would be leaning like \ or / instead of | .
If your top nuts are loose or have play this could be an issue. I did my own install for the 5100s but have a lot of suspension work experience and marked everything before and after. Let me know if you need pictures to compare to.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It should actually pull to the right slightly. The side with the least caster. I think they should be able to get it in spec though.
Not quite, it pulls to the side with the (most negative) Caster, with this printout =Left

OP
OP

Bladesmith

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Where did you go?
have you inspected the suspension?
I went to a tire chain. Not my first choice but the alignment rack at the shop I usually go to was down for the foreseeable future. I didn’t personally inspect the suspension (mostly because I know very little about suspensions), but I did have the shop I trust install the shocks and they didn’t see any problems. That plus Tire Chain makes me think that’s where the issue lies. I’m probably better off taking it somewhere else and may do that, but I since I paid them for an alignment I’d like them to get it right. I thought I might have more success if I knew what to tell them to do when I went back.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Not quite, it pulls to the side with the (most negative) Caster, with this printout =Left
It should pull to side with the least caster. In this case the right side. What am I missing here? Right 3.0° Left 4.2°

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The amount of front lift you added should still allow alignment within spec. I have the Fox 2.0 setup at about 1.5" front lift and my shop was able to align within specs.

That said, if you have any suspension components damaged or slightly bent, that could prevent aligning all the way. I would try to go back or to another shop. If what you have now is the best they can do, something on the front left suspension needs replacement.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Ford said the same thing about mine. I took it to a local alignment guy and he got it in spec. Some alignment shops are just lazy.

I have the 5100s set at max height.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I went to a tire chain. Not my first choice but the alignment rack at the shop I usually go to was down for the foreseeable future. I didn’t personally inspect the suspension (mostly because I know very little about suspensions), but I did have the shop I trust install the shocks and they didn’t see any problems. That plus Tire Chain makes me think that’s where the issue lies. I’m probably better off taking it somewhere else and may do that, but I since I paid them for an alignment I’d like them to get it right. I thought I might have more success if I knew what to tell them to do when I went back.

Here are the Alignment Specs:
One NOTE is that is appears due to the lift they used - Tremor Specs either by error or intended

If you look at your Printout -The smaller numbers in the corners of the rectangle box are the (Min / Max) of the specifications.
Either way the big difference is that Caster is out of specs and (the side-to-side variance) hence the pull

Allignment Specs 1.jpg

Allignment Specs 2.jpeg

OP
OP

Bladesmith

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Either way the big difference is that Caster is out of specs and (the side-to-side variance) hence the pull
just to make sure I thinking correctly, my understanding is that Caster itself isn’t adjustable, but obviously those values changed post alignment. I take that to mean that adjusting camber and toe affect the caster? So would the correct approach be for them to adjust camber/toe and stay within accepted ranges but hopefully bring caster within specs? I assume using the non-Tremor specs might be a good step as well?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
just to make sure I thinking correctly, my understanding is that Caster itself isn’t adjustable, but obviously those values changed post alignment. I take that to mean that adjusting camber and toe affect the caster? So would the correct approach be for them to adjust camber/toe and stay within accepted ranges but hopefully bring caster within specs? I assume using the non-Tremor specs might be a good step as well?
it is adjustable.
https://www.therangerstation.com/ranger-tech/ford-ranger-front-camber-and-caster-adjustment/

OP
OP

Bladesmith

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
it is adjustable.
I was basing that assumption on the fact that they told me it wasn’t adjustable🤦‍♂️

I mean, I know I don’t know much about alignments but I’m also not working in a shop doing alignments so you’d think they be a little more on the ball.

So what do we suppose was the logic as to why Caster was more out of spec afterwords? Someone just couldn’t be bothered to fiddle with it or thought there was no adjustment and left it alone?

Appreciate everyone’s input!