First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I have a 2019, over the weekend helped someone out with a dead battery. It got me thinking if I should be looking at replacing mine as it is the original. I'd rather be proactive than the truck not starting in some random parking lot.

Has anyone had their battery die from normal use yet on any 2019's?
i'm leaning towards an Optima H6 Battery, but any suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsored

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thank you, I like that product! I’m assuming your camera didn’t capture the battery voltage level possibly from a slow display refresh speed. I can see the “V” on the face where it appears as tho it would display the voltage but isn’t visible.
Where might one get that product, amazon no doubt and how difficult was the install?
I didn't turn on the accessory mode. Or have the vehicle running. That's why the Volts is not displaying.

Amazon has plenty of options. You can simply plug in a volt meter.......

USB C Car Charger Adapter with Voltage Display, 30W Cigarette Lighter Type C Fast Charge Power Delivery & Quick Charge 3.0 (PD & QC), Volt Meter Battery Monitor, Compatible With iPhone 12 Galaxy Pixel https://a.co/d/eCsHqYx

Or have a permanent solution......

USB C Car Charger Socket, Qidoe 12V/24V Dual USB Outlet PD3.0 & QC3.0 Car USB Port with LED Voltmeter and ON/Off Switch DIY Car Socket for Car Boat Marine Bus Truck Golf RV Motorcycle https://a.co/d/3Lup5eL

Those are just 2 examples.

If you don't want to lose a 12 volt socket, I'll go with the 1st choice.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Just a FYI

Some Plug in Voltmeters with the incorporated USB ports are limited to 12.6 Volts (Viewable)
If you want an easy cheap solution - For Voltage display only

These work great - Amazon
1702821483797.png

I also tried the plug in (USB / Voltmeter) Combo and I can only get it to read 12.6 Volts Max, it limits voltage to the USB Charging port.
So I cannot say all of the Combo's will be this way, but just to make you aware that this may be an issue for the Combo Meter's

Now with my testing and others seeing the same results.
Any plug in or direct wire - Voltmeter in the Power-Points will result in a small inaccurate reading of actual voltage. - They will read (.2) volts lower than actual battery voltage.
So, 12.8 at the battery will read 12.6 on the Plug In - Meter
This is the voltage drop across the power point relays.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
what is intelligent access?
It is the Door Lock / Unlock Feature, with your Lariat when you put your hand behind the handle to unlock or put your finger on the exterior handle to lock the doors. (You are using it)
Basically, it is Ford Speak for not using an actual key to unlock the door, it is done with the FOB.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
It is the Door Lock / Unlock Feature, with your Lariat when you put your hand behind the handle to unlock or put your finger on the exterior handle to lock the doors. (You are using it)
Basically, it is Ford Speak for not using an actual key to unlock the door, it is done with the FOB.
what he said

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my battery 2 weeks ago. The passenger door touch to unlock access was the first thing to quit working. ASS was likely the first thing to actually quit but I usually turn it off. Also the seat belt warning chime started sounding different. Replaced the stock battery with a Group 7 Diehard from Advance Auto. All is good now except the transmission shift learning curve has started from scratch again :( and radio settings were lost.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
I replaced my battery 2 weeks ago. The passenger door touch to unlock access was the first thing to quit working. ASS was likely the first thing to actually quit but I usually turn it off. Also the seat belt warning chime started sounding different. Replaced the stock battery with a Group 7 Diehard from Advance Auto. All is good now except the transmission shift learning curve has started from scratch again :( and radio settings were lost.
Did you forget to hookup an auxiliary power source to keep your settings intact while changing the battery?

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Just a FYI

Some Plug in Voltmeters with the incorporated USB ports are limited to 12.6 Volts (Viewable)
If you want an easy cheap solution - For Voltage display only

These work great - Amazon
1702821483797.png

I also tried the plug in (USB / Voltmeter) Combo and I can only get it to read 12.6 Volts Max, it limits voltage to the USB Charging port.
So I cannot say all of the Combo's will be this way, but just to make you aware that this may be an issue for the Combo Meter's

Now with my testing and others seeing the same results.
Any plug in or direct wire - Voltmeter in the Power-Points will result in a small inaccurate reading of actual voltage. - They will read (.2) volts lower than actual battery voltage.
So, 12.8 at the battery will read 12.6 on the Plug In - Meter
This is the voltage drop across the power point relays.
I needed a new USB charger so I got a 4 port USB charger with voltmeter and it does read above the 12.6. It showed charging @ 14.5 when I took the Ranger to get new shoes. It would drop to 12.2 as soon as I shut the truck off. @subquark it was this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLK1LWKS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

12v power.jpg

Last edited:

FX4rd

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger FX4 302A Iconic Silver
Does this indicate anything? Been happening lot more often past few weeks, starting to piss me off.
Screenshot_20231101-051522_FordPass.jpg
Happening to me quite a bit as well, also notably over the past few weeks. My battery is the OEM, only 10k miles and under 2 years. Hopeful this might indicate it's the app, if it's happening to others.

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019, over the weekend helped someone out with a dead battery. It got me thinking if I should be looking at replacing mine as it is the original. I'd rather be proactive than the truck not starting in some random parking lot.

Has anyone had their battery die from normal use yet on any 2019's?
I have a April 2019 going on 5 years and not have any problems with battery. I do have a battery charger, desulfurization, trickle charge, pulse repair
IMG_0544.JPG
unit I hook up when ever I get the "System off to save battery" message and not had the battery go dead.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
Same here April of 2019 truck was built still has original battery, no issues. Also disabled the BMS about 2 years ago via Forscan. However I do feel that it could crap out anytime now as it’s starting to get old.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
My 2019 is on it's third, I disabled BMS with number 3 and no more issues.

Hocakes

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Tremor
2 stupid newbie questions. Yes, I searched.

1) my new to me Tremor has been sitting since I bought it. So I decided to hook my Ctek battery tender up to it. I happened to lift up the black felt cover after and saw the sticker on top with the part # that starts off with BAGM so I am assuming this is an AGM battery, correct?? I changed the mode on the Ctek to the snowflake symbol/AGM mode because of this.

2) How the hell do you remove the black fabric hold down strap to lift off the felt cover & read the entire sticker on top of the battery? I looked in the owner's manual, no go. It looks like you would have to disconnect both terminals & move them out of the way in order to slide the black fabric cover along with the strap off. Am I missing something?

3) Bonus question: when looking in the owner's manual it says not to hook anything directly to the negative terminal since it will screw up the battery monitoring system (have never had a car with this before). I had the Ctek on there for a little while before finding a way to hook the positive clip to the positive battery terminal & the negative one to a boss on the engine. Am I going to anger the computer??

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
It's not the life of the battery, it's Ford's wacky computerized charging system and the electrical parasites. I got a new battery and 2 months later, the truck was back to its old electrical shenanigans. :(
Sponsored