First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
2 stupid newbie questions. Yes, I searched.

1) my new to me Tremor has been sitting since I bought it. So I decided to hook my Ctek battery tender up to it. I happened to lift up the black felt cover after and saw the sticker on top with the part # that starts off with BAGM so I am assuming this is an AGM battery, correct?? I changed the mode on the Ctek to the snowflake symbol/AGM mode because of this.

2) How the hell do you remove the black fabric hold down strap to lift off the felt cover & read the entire sticker on top of the battery? I looked in the owner's manual, no go. It looks like you would have to disconnect both terminals & move them out of the way in order to slide the black fabric cover along with the strap off. Am I missing something?

3) Bonus question: when looking in the owner's manual it says not to hook anything directly to the negative terminal since it will screw up the battery monitoring system (have never had a car with this before). I had the Ctek on there for a little while before finding a way to hook the positive clip to the positive battery terminal & the negative one to a boss on the engine. Am I going to anger the computer??
1) Yes, it is an AGM battery.

2) No idea

3) You can hook the negative to the truck body or before the BMS on the negative side so the truck knows the state of charge. I have taken my chances and hooked directly to the negative post to charge and repair without any issues. But what do I know?
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
It's not the life of the battery, it's Ford's wacky computerized charging system and the electrical parasites. I got a new battery and 2 months later, the truck was back to its old electrical shenanigans. :(
Lobotomize it by pulling the plug on the BMS Sensor. Your battery will love you for it.
Alternatively, go into Forscan and turn off ASS and then set SOC % to 90-95.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It's not the life of the battery, it's Ford's wacky computerized charging system and the electrical parasites. I got a new battery and 2 months later, the truck was back to its old electrical shenanigans. :(
It's the battery is. A lot of batteries nowadays including what you buy from the dealer are made by Johnson Controls. Those particular batteries are absolute garbage and don't seem to last worth of damn. I won't speak for East Penn who makes DEKA but I can say batteries by EnerSys I probably the best you can get. Definitely a huge quality control difference between those three manufacturers

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
July 19 build replaced the OEM battery on January 2023 @ 44K miles was in FL at the time parked outdoors year round battery was probably still okay for a few more months but was getting the power save message with increasing frequency. Part of it was self inflicted as i went weeks tat a time without driving it.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
It's the battery is. A lot of batteries nowadays including what you buy from the dealer are made by Johnson Controls. Those particular batteries are absolute garbage and don't seem to last worth of damn.
FWIW, when I purchased my 68 Barracuda in 1997 it needed a battery. I purchased the cheapest battery at Walmart (made by Johnson Controls) they had with the assumption I would replace it when done with the restoration. Well that battery lasted to 2011, 14 years. I purchased another battery from Walmart (also made by Johnson Controls). That battery lasted to last week, 13 years. Guess what I bought another Walmart battery. I have had such good luck with the Johnson Controls batteries from Walmart that when I need to replace a battery in my other cars I go to Walmart. I have never had one of them fail, I move on from the car before they have failed.

BTW, Johnson Controls battery division was sold off in 2019 and is now Clarios.

23HRPXL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XL Supercab, 2014 Mustang Conv.
Occupation
Engineer
I have had OEM batteries die in 3 years (Chrysler) and had one last 9 (1998 Grand Marquis, checked the date code on the battery, it was in fact stock).

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019, over the weekend helped someone out with a dead battery. It got me thinking if I should be looking at replacing mine as it is the original. I'd rather be proactive than the truck not starting in some random parking lot.

Has anyone had their battery die from normal use yet on any 2019's?
Three years for me, It died on a rainy day and I can't find any replacement so ended up calling AAA since I was a member. Carry a jumper with you. I had an Amazon brand just in case.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Three years for me, It died on a rainy day and I can't find any replacement so ended up calling AAA since I was a member. Carry a jumper with you. I had an Amazon brand just in case.
Amazon brand jumper?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019, over the weekend helped someone out with a dead battery. It got me thinking if I should be looking at replacing mine as it is the original. I'd rather be proactive than the truck not starting in some random parking lot.

Has anyone had their battery die from normal use yet on any 2019's?
Yeah, me, just last month!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
2019 65k and still on stock Battery. ASS disconnected early.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Dec 2019 and still on stock battery. I drive a lot so it doesn’t sit more then a day

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
my 5g is a 21 and I still have the factory battery. about 43k miles now. Im starting to wonder if I should get a battery for back up... I did get the low battery warning the other day while winching. The engine was running. It was a long heavy pull. apparently the BMS did not like the winch stealing its juice.
Sponsored