Can I simply use take-offs from an FX4 package?

Lames Jahey

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL
Am I able to simply put these take-offs from a FX4 package on my Ranger?
My Ranger is a XL SuperCab(STX trim). My stock wheels are currently 255/65/R17.

I was told these FX shocks would add a 3” level to the front. No idea what my rear suspension ride height is (obviously don’t want the front higher than the rear after install..)
0D2A6208-65D2-42FB-AC00-CB0A4C133C04.jpeg

the wheelset are GoodYear Wranglers - LT 275/65/R18. Will I need a spacer for these?
6C381D52-7B0A-4E44-BF0C-6286723874E7.jpeg
Sponsored

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
The FX4 is not a leveling strut. I don’t recommend changing to these expecting an upgrade. You would be better served buying other aftermarket options such as Bilstein, Fox, or Eibach. The wheels should be fine as is.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
The FX4 is not a leveling strut. I don’t recommend changing to these expecting an upgrade. You would be better served buying other aftermarket options such as Bilstein, Fox, or Eibach. The wheels should be fine as is.
Someone put spacers on the top of those front shocks.

I don't see any reason you couldn't put those on your truck. It would be ok if you're on a budget and doing the work yourself.

If you're paying someone to do it, you'd be better off saving for a set of new shocks. The 'FX' series shocks are 'meh' at best.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I don't see any reason you couldn't put those on your truck. It would be ok if you're on a budget and doing the work yourself.

If you're paying someone to do it, you'd be better off saving for a set of new shocks. The 'FX' series shocks are 'meh' at best.
You’re right. It does look like a puck level on top.

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
The very first thing I did with my FX4 is get Bilsteins 5100s all around. If anyone needs stock FX4 shocks you can have mine.

Stock FX4 shocks do not provide an leveling.

OP
OP
Lames Jahey

Lames Jahey

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL
Do you know where I can find info on the dimensions of these FX struts vs my stock struts?

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
as others have said.... the FX4 shocks are trash..... dont waste your time or money.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know where I can find info on the dimensions of these FX struts vs my stock struts?
I’m not sure, but Parts.ford.com might have the specs

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told these pucks account for a 3” level. That wouldn’t over-do it compared to my rear, right?

That’s exactly it, on a budget, planning on doing it myself. These only have 10,000km on them (I’m up in Canada). And I was given them for free from a buddy.

I guess my other question would be, do I need to use these struts to account for the bigger wheelset? (Looks like “BettaRanga” already approves without the struts.)
What size are the tires? Having trouble reading in the pic

OP
OP
Lames Jahey

Lames Jahey

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL

I was told these pucks account for a 3” level. That wouldn’t over-do it compared to my rear, right?

That’s exactly it, on a budget, planning on doing it myself. These only have 10,000km on them (I’m up in Canada). And I was given them for free from a buddy.

I guess my other question would be, do I need to use these struts to account for the bigger wheelset? (Looks like “BettaRanga” already approves without the struts.)

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
FX4 take-offs are a direct bolt-on to non-FX4 rangers. That said, those shocks also look like they have leveling spacers on the top to give that front lift. I wouldn't pay money for them (well, maybe a couple of bucks for the leveling spacers, but I wouldn't pay money for FXR shocks and struts). It is worth a lot of money to upgrade your suspension with higher-quality products from Fox, Eibach, Bilstein, etc.. The good news is that while it's worth a lot of money to do it, you can do it inexpensively. I put the Eibach Pro-Truck kit on my truck, and the ride is AMAZING and relatively inexpensive. A lot of people find that just changing out the rear FX4 shocks for ANYTHING ELSE vastly improves the ride.

Hell, I'm pretty sure if you replaced FX4 shocks and struts with concrete blocks it would be an improvement.

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 BMW M235, Volcon Grunt
Occupation
Financial advisor
Am I able to simply put these take-offs from a FX4 package on my Ranger?
My Ranger is a XL SuperCab(STX trim). My stock wheels are currently 255/65/R17.

I was told these FX shocks would add a 3” level to the front. No idea what my rear suspension ride height is (obviously don’t want the front higher than the rear after install..)
0D2A6208-65D2-42FB-AC00-CB0A4C133C04.jpeg

the wheelset are GoodYear Wranglers - LT 275/65/R18. Will I need a spacer for these?
6C381D52-7B0A-4E44-BF0C-6286723874E7.jpeg
I just swapped out of those to Eibach with 2.5" or so level. The Fox's were so soft and floaty, plus tend to dive on hard braking imo

OP
OP
Lames Jahey

Lames Jahey

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL
Ok, so final unanswered question. Assuming the leveling puck on these FX struts adds 3", will the front be level with the rear? or will the front be too high?
Sponsored