CONSOLE VAULT No. 1089

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
for the people concerned this won't stop thieves: it obviously can't stop a thief who has any sort of time or determination but it is better than nothing. It's not a long term storage option but it might be good for running into a store real fast or at a friend's house parked in their driveway and you dont want to carry into their home...
Their marketing really should make it clear that this is not a super secure safe but they do not.

Mainly It is a very good safety item that will keep your passenger from accidentally firing your gun. It is also a good legal option for keeping a gun in your car/ in CA you would need to have the ammo in a separate container unless you are a concealed carry permit holder or law enforcement. Loaded magazines next to a gun qualify the gun as "loaded". However the ammo does not need to be locked. You could technically have the loaded mag in the glove box or something like that for relatively easy access.
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Safes buy you time. The better the safe the longer the time. There is not a safe built that will keep a determined thief from getting into it.

It is all about the time required to get into one. And they are rated exactly like that - the time req'd to get in. The best affordable safe (I use that word with caution) will have double locks ( two combos or a combo and a deeply recessed key), with a depression step (combo that stops automated combinations from a machine (and yes they exist)) and a glass fail safe weight to prevent drilling. It will take a couple of days to get into it. A qualified locksmith with the builder design manual will take ~20 hours to get into one of these even knowing where to drill. These puppies are expensive too.

The same goes for the auto car safes, they can be defeated but it buys the owner time. That is all most folks generally need.

It only has to be a tad more difficult than the auto sitting right next to it. Thieves go for the quick and easy.

I have a friend that owns a high value jewelry store. Every evening everything goes in the vault. The safes sit on 4x4's behind a re-enforced concrete wall with a steel safe door to enter the room. Touch the safe off hours and the police are there in minutes. That still didn't stop him from taking a bullet to the chest. Yes he survived... and changed his procedures to minimize it happening again.

Last edited:

jeffp619

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Supercrew
Occupation
Semi-Retired
No safe or lockbox is guaranteed to stop a thief as some have mentioned in this thread. But it may make a thief move on and not burn the time. I have an older Wrangler soft top that i have a lockbox under the drivers seat, and one in the back inside the instatrunk. When I lived in San Diego and surfed before or after work (I was an LEO)I would normally lock wallet, keys, iphone and such in the lockbox under the seat and my weapon, mags and creds in the lockbox inside the instatrunk. I figured (hoped) that would-be thieves would look thru the unsecured areas and move on. But it was always on my mind while sitting in the lineup.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I have also seen kids drop a car in gear and drive into a wall or another car when the parent leaves the car running and goes into the gas station or grocery store for a quick errand.

Lack of good parenting is the problem, not weapons or cars.

I constantly see cars parked and running in a Walmart or Dollar store parking lot with kids left unattended inside them.

There is no cure for stupidity, selfishness, or lack of love.

I also witness more and more instances lately of cars running while filling the gas tank as well. I watch the same people start the pump and go sit in the car, then get out and finish up when the pump shuts down. One little static discharge on gas vapors and your car burns to the ground.
Sponsored