DIY Bed mounts and Storage.

Taco Transplant

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Figured I would post a few pictures and give some ideas out on how to make the most it of the 5 foot beds.

Camper shell is a Leer with Yakima tracks. Made an interior frame made out of aluminum extrusion from T-Nuts or 80/20. This is to support the roof rack with a rooftop tent. Also acts as a mounting point for any extra goodies. Used some paracord so make some storage/drying space for the roof. Throw a couple carabiners up there for quick hanging points for wet clothes, gloves, or bedding.

Front wall has my traction boards ratchet strapped secure. I like this way over mounting to the roof rack because it doesn’t scream, “I have more expensive sh*t in my truck! Rob me.” Plus you get an extra tie down and if you get fancy, you can put stuff behind the traction boards: Soft shackles, tree savers, snatch blocks, water bottles, drugs, etc.

Right side got a little fancy with the hardware. To mount the QuickFists for the shovel, I used the existing holes (the oval ones with rubber in them). I stuck a big washer through with a nut in the back side. Bolting the QuickFist on will essentially pinch the bedside. Keep the weight low and this is an insanely cheap option for mounting things to the bedside.

Left side is the same mounting as the QuickFist on the other side. Makes for a light mounting point. The left side has my extinguisher, random bag of stuff, a hammock, and my compressor. Get all this stuff off the floor of the bed and it costs about $10 in hardware and aluminum.

Rubber bed mat protects the goods from my Tough Bed liner. Can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQPBGY9J?ref=myi_title_dp

Hope this sparks some ideas for some better DIY bed solutions that are less expensive than the current options on the market.

IMG_7587.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
No decorations here!
I didn't mean decorations as aesthetic items to look good. I meant there are many
'over lander builds' with a bunch of gear just for show, but never get used.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Figured I would post a few pictures and give some ideas out on how to make the most it of the 5 foot beds.

Camper shell is a Leer with Yakima tracks. Made an interior frame made out of aluminum extrusion from T-Nuts or 80/20. This is to support the roof rack with a rooftop tent. Also acts as a mounting point for any extra goodies. Used some paracord so make some storage/drying space for the roof. Throw a couple carabiners up there for quick hanging points for wet clothes, gloves, or bedding.

Front wall has my traction boards ratchet strapped secure. I like this way over mounting to the roof rack because it doesn’t scream, “I have more expensive sh*t in my truck! Rob me.” Plus you get an extra tie down and if you get fancy, you can put stuff behind the traction boards: Soft shackles, tree savers, snatch blocks, water bottles, drugs, etc.

Right side got a little fancy with the hardware. To mount the QuickFists for the shovel, I used the existing holes (the oval ones with rubber in them). I stuck a big washer through with a nut in the back side. Bolting the QuickFist on will essentially pinch the bedside. Keep the weight low and this is an insanely cheap option for mounting things to the bedside.

Left side is the same mounting as the QuickFist on the other side. Makes for a light mounting point. The left side has my extinguisher, random bag of stuff, a hammock, and my compressor. Get all this stuff off the floor of the bed and it costs about $10 in hardware and aluminum.

Rubber bed mat protects the goods from my Tough Bed liner. Can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQPBGY9J?ref=myi_title_dp

Hope this sparks some ideas for some better DIY bed solutions that are less expensive than the current options on the market.

IMG_7587.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg
Exactly the sort of thing I wish we saw more of on this forum. Awesome! I’ve long pondered an inner frame around the roof perimeter like how you’ve done it. Side rail mounts above wheel wells, too. Hat’s off sir!

OP
OP
Taco Transplant

Taco Transplant

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Exactly the sort of thing I wish we saw more of on this forum. Awesome! I’ve long pondered an inner frame around the roof perimeter like how you’ve done it. Side rail mounts above wheel wells, too. Hat’s off sir!
I’m here for you!
Sponsored