Do I need tailgate dampers?

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?! As I’m sure you’re now aware the damper topic is……sensitive lol……. I made the mistake myself of unleashing it about a month ago. L O N G story short. It’s a preference (as long as you manually lower it and not let it slam) I started a thread to see if there are any cons to it….. aside of the jokes of damaging you manliness/ having a free arm to hold your wife’s purse/ other aspects of the truck that are affected( comical and unrealistic)….some have said it it could slightly damage the cable (could be an installation issue and there is a wrap something around it to protect it fix) Others have said it’d it gets really cold in you’re area ( not sure of you definition of “really cold” but I think low 20sF and below) could make it slow down.

For me I’ve never had to let it slam open because by hands were full but some have so that’s up to you. Basically it’s a cool feature that make your truck a little more fancy and cheap and easy to install

I still haven’t decided if I want one (got the truck in march of ‘21) since then I haven’t had a single time where one would have been necessary/more helpful

Also can’t believe I typed out this much rambling about dampers. I guess I’m just a little bored this morning
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?! As I’m sure you’re now aware the damper topic is……sensitive lol……. I made the mistake myself of unleashing it about a month ago. L O N G story short. It’s a preference (as long as you manually lower it and not let it slam) I started a thread to see if there are any cons to it….. aside of the jokes of damaging you manliness/ having a free arm to hold your wife’s purse/ other aspects of the truck that are affected( comical and unrealistic)….some have said it it could slightly damage the cable (could be an installation issue and there is a wrap something around it to protect it fix) Others have said it’d it gets really cold in you’re area ( not sure of you definition of “really cold” but I think low 20sF and below) could make it slow down.

For me I’ve never had to let it slam open because by hands were full but some have so that’s up to you. Basically it’s a cool feature that make your truck a little more fancy and cheap and easy to install

I still haven’t decided if I want one (got the truck in march of ‘21) since then I haven’t had a single time where one would have been necessary/more helpful

Also can’t believe I typed out this much rambling about dampers. I guess I’m just a little bored this morning
I love it because I work out of my truck and my hands are always full. So I can grab the handle with one finger and let it drop without crashing down. Besides women dig it (see @JohnnyO pic:shock:) and people are amazed when they see it slowly lowering down.?

Amazed.gif

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
And there you have it! It depends on for what and how you use your truck. Personally I like adding things that are more features then they are mods/up grades(I like those too) for example I’ve added modules that give me auto up/down on the passenger window and one that gives me wireless CarPlay. Which is why i remain on the fence. I guess I just don’t want to not be able to lower it at the speed I want

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
Aside from the constant banter on here over the damper, I honestly do really like mine.

Very handy to just pop the handle and let the tailgate drop.
Same here, except I don't have a damper.

I let that sob slam down. Give those unevenly measured tailgate cables a workout.

Last edited:

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Although this has been beaten to death by now, if you want one, get one. I see no reason not to have one, since it is nice to let the tailgate drop without slamming when you have your hands full.

And as for the perception of being weak or having your muscles atrophy due to the damper, you all are ignoring the fact that to LIFT the tailgate, not only are you doing all of the work of lifting the tailgate against gravity, you are also compressing the damper. The net force is GREATER than if you did not have a damper, so whatever losses you experience from not helping the tailgate drop slowly using your big, strong muscles is offset by the extra work you have to do to close the tailgate. It's physics.

Conclusion: buy one with no regrets. Get a DeeZee so if you have issues, you can yell at Dave.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Once my truck arrives I'm thinking if getting a tailgate damper. Just to be able to come here and post that I installed it!!!!!!!!! :giggle:
And, yes, again, it is Friday...

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
And, yes, again, it is Friday...
Honestly don't know what I would do without you Radioman! Thx for keeping me straight. Hell, some weeks I'm not sure.

And on that note, hope your Friday rocks!

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
10/10 doctors have concluded that the use of dampers results in reduced penile length - Source (Some Medical Journal Probably).

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Honestly don't know what I would do without you Radioman! Thx for keeping me straight. Hell, some weeks I'm not sure.

And on that note, hope your Friday rocks!
Sorry, I just couldn't resist responding to your name. But only on Fridays...

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Although this has been beaten to death by now, if you want one, get one. I see no reason not to have one, since it is nice to let the tailgate drop without slamming when you have your hands full.

And as for the perception of being weak or having your muscles atrophy due to the damper, you all are ignoring the fact that to LIFT the tailgate, not only are you doing all of the work of lifting the tailgate against gravity, you are also compressing the damper. The net force is GREATER than if you did not have a damper, so whatever losses you experience from not helping the tailgate drop slowly using your big, strong muscles is offset by the extra work you have to do to close the tailgate. It's physics.

Conclusion: buy one with no regrets. Get a DeeZee so if you have issues, you can yell at Dave.
I need to add this as a disclaimer to every damper sold. If you don't do this from the start, you'll need your significant other to raise it for you because now you're to weak and frail. :frown:

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Here is my take on the whole subject. I ordered the TGD on amazon and swapped out my FX4 front shocks with them. Then, I put the FX4 shocks on the tail gate.

It fixed many problems, including the misaligned body panels.
Mic drop!

:like: :fistbump::clap: