First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I am putting new tires on my 2021 FX4 soon and struggling to pick a tire between these two:

Falken Wildpeak AT4W
Cooper Discoverer Road+Trail AT

I have considered nearly every mild to moderate A/T tire. I have my reasons for narrowing it down to these two. PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST ANOTHER TIRE. I am mounting 265/65R18 (+1” over stock. I have a Fox 2.0 kit installed).

• I live in central Oregon (high desert climate).
  • I have dedicated winter tires. I only need snow traction for the unusual shoulder season snowfall when my winter tires are not mounted.
  • Wet/rain traction is a high priority (and a reason I ruled out many of the competing tires). While I don’t live in the rain zone, I often travel through it.
  • I tow a 5,000 lb travel trailer 2-4 times a year for about 2,000 miles towing per year. The stock Dynapros are softer than I like for towing.
  • I frequently drive variable forest roads. Many are better maintained gravel roads but the occasional ones are slow speed rock crawling.

My main worry with the Wildpeaks are weight, and possible noise. They are 47 lbs in the size I want. The Coopers are 41 lbs. That is a 15% weight difference. Both options are significantly more than the 35 lbs stock Dynapros. I’m concerned about sluggish acceleration. Less concerned with MPG loss. (I have no plans to tune the engine, please do not suggest that). Will the heaver tire slow me down significantly?

Another note is the Coopers in my size are XL load and the Falkens are SL load. I think the XL load will be better for towing.

I have never had a decent A/T tire more aggressive than the stock Dynapros, and am interested to see how much better this truck does off pavement with better A/T tires. Will the Cooper be a good enough upgrade over the Dynapros?

I can also get the Coopers for about $115 less per set due to rebates and price per tire. That said, I’m less concerned as in the long run, the price doesn’t matter as much as having the correct tire.

I slightly like the looks of the Wildpeak more, but both are more rugged looking than the stock Dynapros.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I put Wildpeak AT4 on in the middle of January. However, I went with 255/70 R 18. They ride great and aren't any noisier than the Hankook. Wet traction is much better. Only had them in one snow, about four inches and they did fine. Overall I am very pleased with my decision. Had mine installed by @Discount Tire . Check with them and see what they can do if you have one close.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I've had both (285)...except my Cooper was AT3...similar...I'd recommend either one...which ever is cheaper at this time...

OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I put Wildpeak AT4 on in the middle of January. However, I went with 255/70 R 18. They ride great and aren't any noisier than the Hankook. Wet traction is much better. Only had them in one snow, about four inches and they did fine. Overall I am very pleased with my decision. Had mine installed by @Discount Tire . Check with them and see what they can do if you have one close.
Bob902, How is your acceleration with the AT4s vs the stock Dynapros?
Discount will be doing the install when the time comes.

I've had both (285)...except my Cooper was AT3...similar...I'd recommend either one...which ever is cheaper at this time...
Thanks Msfitoy. Agree, splitting hairs here. The Coopers are $115 or so less, unless Falken has a rebate I'm not aware of.

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
The Coopers are very good tire....the reinforced sidewall XL rated are better for towing and aired down offroading if you ever get the itch....I have been running with the more aggressive tred Cooper Rugged Trek , a 45lb. XL Rated tire for 3 yrs, absolutely nothing to say but good things about their performance....

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Bob902, How is your acceleration with the AT4s vs the stock Dynapros?
Discount will be doing the install when the time comes.

Thanks Msfitoy. Agree, splitting hairs here. The Coopers are $115 or so less, unless Falken has a rebate I'm not aware of.
Personally, I liked the Cooper better...Bonus if it's cheaper...

I'm going back to Cooper after my current set of Grabber X3 expires...lost 1-2 mpg because of MT over AT...

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I have been running Falken Wildpeak AT3W's for a couple years, the AT4's are just an evolution of the same technology. They're very quiet as far as road noise is concerned, and handle everything I've thrown at them quite well. Snow/ice traction is excellent, as are more typical Colorado off roading situations. I also did a trip to Florida and back from Colorado without issue on them. I imagine the AT4's will have a pretty similar story, once they've been out for longer.

Depending on your needs, I'll suggest another tire, despite the fact that you said not to. You're not my dad. I recently purchased a set of Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo 3's for my daily driver Chevy Suburban. So far, I have been very impressed with how they handle on road and the light off roading I've done in them. Went with these on my Suburban for the same reason you are considering Cooper's, a decent bit cheaper per tire and I didn't need the full off road capability that the Wildpeaks offer on my daily.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I've had my Cooper Discoverer AT3s for about 6,000 miles now and have been very pleased with them. Mine are the same size, as my FX4 came stock with265/65 18. I haven't towed with them and snow was pretty sparse last winter here in western Sconnie, but I was able to climb my block and a half 7% grade hill in 2WD with minimal traction control incursion; something the Kumhos would have trouble with. Steering actually felt lighter with stock 30psi and wet handling is superb. I don't notice any mpg gain or loss over the 'HOs, and beach sand traction is surprisingly good for a mild All terrain tire; good sidewall tread.

OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have been running Falken Wildpeak AT3W's for a couple years, the AT4's are just an evolution of the same technology. They're very quiet as far as road noise is concerned, and handle everything I've thrown at them quite well. Snow/ice traction is excellent, as are more typical Colorado off roading situations. I also did a trip to Florida and back from Colorado without issue on them. I imagine the AT4's will have a pretty similar story, once they've been out for longer.

Depending on your needs, I'll suggest another tire, despite the fact that you said not to. You're not my dad. I recently purchased a set of Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo 3's for my daily driver Chevy Suburban. So far, I have been very impressed with how they handle on road and the light off roading I've done in them. Went with these on my Suburban for the same reason you are considering Cooper's, a decent bit cheaper per tire and I didn't need the full off road capability that the Wildpeaks offer on my daily.
Thanks but I hate Bridgestone Duellers. Too long (and not relevant to this thread) for me to go into why.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
let me know what you decide, those two are on my shortlist and I'm edging towards Cooper for wet weather reasons, being a western Oregon resident where it pisses down non stop!

OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
let me know what you decide, those two are on my shortlist and I'm edging towards Cooper for wet weather reasons, being a western Oregon resident where it pisses down non stop!
I absolutely will. I am leaning towards the Coopers also. The lower price may help seal the deal. I drive a far amount on the wet side of the Cascades myself too. I'll be installing whatever I chose in the next couple weeks. This week is new tire week for our Crosstrek (Falken A/T Trail).

Last edited:

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I have the Cooper's, can't say I've tried wild peaks but I've heard great things about them too. I like the slightly firmer ride of the xl load Cooper's. They look great as well. I threw an engine in the back of my truck and with the extra weight I'm glad for the xl load.

20240325_122556.jpg

20240325_122517.jpg

20240325_122508.jpg

I forgot to mention I've gone through mud and snow in 2wd on class 4 unpaved roads here in Vermont and they rip, no traction problems in adverse condition.

Last edited:

Florida-Man

First Name
Arn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 / 2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Operations
I’m running 265/65 R18 +19 offset. Really happy with the AT4s after swapping from K02. A small amount of road noise over 70. They grip a whole lot better in wet weather conditions which this time of year is almost constant in Florida

Reactions: EJH

Nomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
EJH,

Sounds like you have it pretty much figured out already. For what it’s worth, here were my criteria when I was in a similar situation somewhat recently (as now applied to your situation):

1. PRICE – if they are similar in overall performance specs, save yourself some money and go with the cheaper one.

2. WARRANTY – Both have the same warranty so a wash.

3. ON ROAD / OFF-ROAD PERFORMANCE – both are new so hard to get the ground truth with limited data/reviews (both seem to perform well, though from what little I read).

4. BLACKWALL vs OUTLINED WHITE LETTERING (OWL) – Personal preference (note OWL strangely adds weight).

5. LOAD RANGE – SL, XL C, etc. If you can get XL over SL while still saving weight, that is huge in my book given what you are looking to do with them.

6. TIRE WEIGHT – Not only for MPG but a lighter wheel will be more responsive and less wear & tear on associated components.

7. 3PMSF – Both have this rating so a wash.

8. NOISE – I believe Cooper has the edge, but don’t quote me on that.

9. COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE – Falken = Japanese company with a plant or two in the U.S.; Cooper = U.S. company with plants in the U.S. That said, both are solid companies and it’s hard to really know what is or is not made in the U.S. anymore. I would give the edge to Cooper just on trying to support U.S. companies as much as possible.

10. AGGRESSIVE OFF-ROAD LOOKS – Whatever is most appealing to you.

“I’m concerned about sluggish acceleration. Less concerned with MPG loss. (I have no plans to tune the engine, please do not suggest that).”
  • You may (depending on your budget/interests) look into lighter wheels (rims) and/or rotors. Both can effectively free up some unsprung weight and lessen some of the sluggishness. I, myself, switched out the factory wheels that came on my truck (27ish lbs) to the 17x8 Ford Ranger Tremor factory wheels (25 lbs) in order to combat the extra weight of the tires. Lighter rotors would do the same (or do both for even greater benefits). Just some additional food for thought if this becomes more of a concern.
Hope this helps.

R/
NOMAD
Sponsored