First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Is a turbo covered under the powertrain warranty?

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
I want to say yes. A tech told me if oil goes through it or around it, it's covered. That's why they wouldn't cover my rusty spark plug/ engine cover under warranty

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Interesting that if the turbo failed( shaft/bearings) you should have been blowing oil out the exhaust and smoking like crazy. Amazing that you made it home. Wondering what the actual diagnosis will be.

5thranger

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Ranger Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
...and the way I walk! Very friendly guy; even offered me some of his homemade moonshine, but sadly I had to decline. Too early in the morning, and too much road ahead of me. :frown:
And him trying to seduce you.

OP
OP
LaBalbe

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Interesting that if the turbo failed( shaft/bearings) you should have been blowing oil out the exhaust and smoking like crazy. Amazing that you made it home. Wondering what the actual diagnosis will be.
There was no smoke, and I didn't notice any oil, but we were in rain/sleet basically the entire way, so I wasn't exactly looking either. CEL was on the whole time, but it never flashed, which according to both the manual and the mechanic is when things start going into "oh shit" territory. I've got an appointment at the dealership tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some news to share soon.

OP
OP
LaBalbe

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Heard back from the dealership, and they concur that it's the turbo that died. Fortunately, it's still under warranty, so it won't cost me anything, but it'll take 7-10 days for them to get a new part, so I'm without a truck for at least a week, more likely two. They're working on getting me a loaner, but that might not happen until next Monday, depending on when one gets returned.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Heard back from the dealership, and they concur that it's the turbo that died. Fortunately, it's still under warranty, so it won't cost me anything, but it'll take 7-10 days for them to get a new part, so I'm without a truck for at least a week, more likely two. They're working on getting me a loaner, but that might not happen until next Monday, depending on when one gets returned.
Good to hear you are covered under warranty.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If you need a truck to pick something up, let me know.

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Did they give any more details? Was just a bad unit, bad blow off valve, or oil starvation or anything like that?

OP
OP
LaBalbe

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Did they give any more details? Was just a bad unit, bad blow off valve, or oil starvation or anything like that?
Not sure. I got the call while I was busy with something else, so I only got the basic info and didn't get into the details.
Sponsored