First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Cyber Orange Metallic is the only better color option than this gray. Black Appearance Package is a must for either color, IMO.
Sponsored

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Am currently looking at Mavericks, initially was going to go hybrid but the 2k towing limit is too low. Currently looking at Lariat FX4.

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
I was cruising AutoTrader on Saturday morning and came across a ā€˜24 Maverick XLT Hybrid with 12 miles on the odometer at a local-ish dealer. Before I bought my Ranger, I was very much in the market for a SUV/truck-like hybrid, but pulled the trigger on the Ranger instead.

Anyways, the dealer let me take it home for the weekend, no strings attached, and now more than ever Iā€™m questioning if I truly need a Ranger, or just want it. The ā€˜truckā€™ things Iā€™ve used the Ranger for could be handled by the Mav, and really, we get so few days that require AWd/4WD, not having it isnā€™t a deal breaker for me.

The Mav is nice - yes, hard plastics are abound on the interior - but it isnā€™t tacky in my opinion. They do scratch just as easily as any other automotive plastic, but unless youā€™re paying $$$$ thatā€™s what you can expect with any brand. Leg room in the back is, on paper, close to the Ranger. And really, I didnā€™t buy the Ranger to haul people, rather because SCABs werenā€™t available by me. So this metric is moot.

Where the Mav beats the Ranger, and a lot of other vehicles, is gas mileage. It gets the as advertised 42mpg. On the Mav forum it seems some folks regularly get 700 miles a tank on 87 octane. While I only put maybe 8k/yr in miles on my truck, itā€™s always irritating to pay ~$90 for a fill up with 93 octane. I tried 87, but that the ride becomes noticeably more meh.

So in summary, Mavs in person arenā€™t as terrible as I thought theyā€™d be. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Curious to hear from anyone who made the switch if you have buyerā€™s remorse.

IMG_7925.jpeg

IMG_7917.jpeg
I would be questioning on what it can tow. I wanna go back to an F150 just to be able to tow larger campers.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
While I was waiting at the dealership a couple weeks ago, I was able to look over the Mav and Ranger. Mavs were listing in $40's, both were butt ugly, IMHO.
I would prefer an AWD truck type vehicle, as I don't off road. Even in mud season, our Subaru has 0 issues. I'd love a nicer ride, better mileage, but not looking to drop that kind of money right now.

OP
OP

DaveP

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I would be questioning on what it can tow. I wanna go back to an F150 just to be able to tow larger campers.
I donā€™t tow but once in a blue moon. Payload is more important to me and to this point, a Mav could have handled everything Iā€™ve tasked the Ranger to do.

OP
OP

DaveP

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Mavericks look tiny on the road. The Ranger is as small as I want to go in a truck.
They look small, but the interior dimensions are pretty close to a Ranger. I guess if you like sitting higher, then yes - the Ranger wins in this category.

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
The Maverick will be available with a Hybrid AWD drive train soon. Ford hasn't officially announced but test mules have been spotted. That, IMO, would be the one to buy. You can get the maverick with the max tow package that gets you 4000 pounds. If the hybrid AWD maverick can be configured to tow 4000 pounds that would be a home run.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Just know this , if I look over from the view of my Ranger SuperCab, and see a grown ass man šŸ‘Ø in a 4 door Maverick (or Ridgeline or Santa "Hey") then expect to see bewilderment and disappointment if we make eye contact, head shaking šŸ«Ø and pointing šŸ‘‰ at what not to do , as I drive off , back to the past(things seem to make more sense to me there )...

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Just know this , if I look over from the view of my Ranger SuperCab, and see a grown ass man šŸ‘Ø in a 4 door Maverick (or Ridgeline or Santa "Hey") then expect to see bewilderment and disappointment if we make eye contact, head shaking šŸ«Ø and pointing šŸ‘‰ at what not to do , as I drive off , back to the past(things seem to make more sense to me there )...
The same way F150 and F250 drivers do to Ranger drivers?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Maybe, but they can only do it when at a stoplight.
WE can do it as we zip by!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I saw a grown ass man in a Maverick the other day, that truck sure looked small on him.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Exactly , but who you gonna look down on if you have a Maverick?
Mostly I see the big guys looking with a little envy as I zip around them as they struggle to park their giant 4 door abominations to go in and grab a sandwich , they have to go in because they can't navigate the drive through radius anymore...

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
At my house, even the Warden dislikes those baby trsuvck thingys. 100% her opinion with zero influence from me. Not like I ever even mentioned them during my truck shopping time period. More than once she's made a less than complimentary observation about an Accord with the trunk lid omitted option, definitely dislikes the Maverick, and holy cow.... the girl can not stand those Hyundai things. She's truly appalled not only that Hyundai builds them, but that people actually buy them.

Not gonna lie... when I hear her make those comments I cannot help but beam with pride. Smart woman. Smart. :rockon:
Sponsored