How long are these shocks supposed to last?

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Right at 54,000 miles on this 2021 tremor.
NO off roading (yeah I suck) :cool:

Truck rides like a D9 dozer last few months. What are signs and symptoms of shocks going bad?
I thought these fox shocks were some fancy off road pieces

I've never had a ride like this in any my old trucks, I hit a simple bump or pot hole and its like a giant thunck!
Sponsored

Last edited:

OGMix376

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Ranger Tremor
Occupation
House Maintenance Technician ;)
Short answer that’s bad obviously, fox suspension needs service/rebuild every 40-50k miles. Service/rebuild most likely less expensive than replacement/upgrade purchase and installation, but vehicle will not be road worthy without the suspension while being serviced.

Word I’ve heard is they have service interval. 50k mile if you’re a gentle driver and 40kish for the fun weekenders. The thunky is probably the indicator you may need to get some service (rebuild) D9 dozer i figure is a very very stiff ride, could be the shocks aren’t dampening but the piston is locked up sending the force of impact further into the chassi. hopefully they’re not bent or anything like that. They are nice shocks but nicer things usually require maintenance or don’t last as long (like tires on sports cars economy tires longevity over performance, sporty sticky sexy tires performance/longevity.), sports tires. I’m at 33k miles and I’m already planning my service attack plan hopefully within the next 10K miles… or go for the upgrade if that’s on your list… I’m no mechanic, however I found this out thanks to this forum about the service/rebuild @40-50k miles.) don’t remember the price (surely it’s a significant difference between replacement/upgrade) it will leave you without the shocks for a turn around time tho so hopefully you have a secondary vehicle during that time… our plan is to get the 2.5 adjustable fox coilovers and the rear 2.5’s… send the stock tremor fox shocks in for service/rebuild and keep them for the time the 2.5’s need service/rebuild since the truck needs to stay functional for me can’t afford downtime… hopefully that answer to your question and my two cents helps you come to your plan of action quicker.
I’m just trying to be helpful with my limited knowledge/experience..
good luck 🍀

HeatXfer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired Pipefitter & commercial HVACR Tech
My left front strut started leaking at 32k. I was participating in the Speed Bump Olympics though.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Our Appalachian roads are rough in general.

I can't be without a vehicle while fox rebuilds "off road" shocks. How hard is it to just put new ones in if I need them? I'm assuming its just removing the old and putting in new.

And if these shocks are failing just driving pot holes, I'll defiantly buy another brand

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
get bilstein 4600s, or better if you want to spend more$. (edit, noting you are in a tremor you probably want better than the 4600 shocks) but yours sure sound done
your shocks are done./
mine might be a little worse than yours but wait for it/
im in a 2wd supercab, i drive on dirt roads quite a bit and carry heavy loads.
at 64,500 i decided to replace the rear shocks because of the bouncy ride a lot of people complain about.
got the bilstein 4600s for $184+ tax free shipping from shocksurplus.com
my ride was not terrible but the miles were on it, i got a long trip coming up so why not//
GET THIS: when i took out the factory shocks it was Very Easy to push them all the way to bottoming out. they were Done a long time ago i think. very little effort to fully compress where the new ones were a huge struggle to push in the few inches. get some new shocks at least for the rear.
(i should do my front as well but they're not as bad ill get to them after my road trip.)
oh and super easy to put in and out. 4 bolts, mounts hold the nuts in place pretty well you only need to wrench one side/ torque to 52lbs. i used a flathead to lever the shock into place when it was close/ that will make sense when you try and put them in.

Last edited:

OGMix376

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Ranger Tremor
Occupation
House Maintenance Technician ;)
Like thorn said the rears are pretty easy, it’s the front that can be a bit of a pain but do able if you’ve got some tinkering on trucks experience. Go with replacement. My choice is because I got a Ranger Tremor that came with fox shocks which was part of the reason to get a Ranger so I want to put fox shocks if it came with a different brand originally that’s the brand I’d go with that. Like the nostril red inserts I want to keep those so I won’t replace the grill with a grill those don’t fit into I just want to keep the tremor a tremor per se, I plan on keeping the wheels and just be fitting bigger tires although I hear ford performance has 8.5” wheels available in the same design but I anyway I went way off topic. Anyhow any shocks you get are gonna be a upgrade from dead shocks right?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Our Appalachian roads are rough in general.

I can't be without a vehicle while fox rebuilds "off road" shocks. How hard is it to just put new ones in if I need them? I'm assuming its just removing the old and putting in new.

And if these shocks are failing just driving pot holes, I'll defiantly buy another brand
Rears are pretty easy, fronts are a pain the ass as I learned from trying and failing to put a level kit on.
I have a 4x4 STX with the standard suspension. At 50k I was getting a vibration that was worse on some roads than others and it turned out to be the rear shocks.

OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I have about 45k on my Fox 2.0 rear shocks. Mostly highway driving but I can tell they are pretty worn out.
That's insane these "off road" shocks are falling a part on the road

I guess I'm going to be looing for shocks now.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
What's the warranty on the FOX? I ask because my Eibachs have been awesome, they have a 'limited' life time warranty.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!

Eibach has a sale right now. Probably going to put a set on the rear. Already have Eibach on the front.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Eibach and Bilsteins have basically a Lifetime Warranty (the Eibachs are technically a Million Mile warranty, so lifetime).

The Fox needing rebuild every 40 to 50k is why I went with Bilstein.

If the fronts were as easy to access as the rears it wouldn't be a big deal.

But pulling the fronts suck, and also require an alignment after replacement.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer

Fox openly publishes their rebuild schedule on their website, and in the documentation included with their shocks. The rebuild schedule is 50k miles with 100% on road and 10k miles with 50% off-road / 50% on road.

Most weekend warrior type people who drive off-road every now and then probably need a rebuild at 40K miles.

I have Fox 2.0's on my Ranger, and love them. I will probably rebuild mine at 40k miles, which gives me between 3 and 4 years of usage.

What I plan to do, and what some others do, is at the rebuilt interval, buy new shocks for the truck. Send the old shocks off for a rebuild. When you get them back, sell them, or if you keep your truck long enough, save them for the next cycle.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer

Performance shocks sacrifice durability for performance. That's the reason the Fox shocks are rebuildable not disposable.
Sponsored