JUST INSTALLED SEAT COVERS BY SHEARCOMFORT. NOT THE BEST FIT.

RangeFinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab
Occupation
Teacher
Forum enthusiasts!
I always slide out of my drivers seat to the ground. I decided I'd better get some seat covers to protect my original seats. I got the black neoprene by ShearComfort for ~$375 after discount. Their neoprene is more expensive than most of their materials. They claim a Perfect Fit Guarantee.

The headrests covers grossly lacked enough material to have the hook and loop material overlap for a clean and secure fit. I sent pictures to ShearComfort, and they have agreed to replace the headrest covers.

I only covered the driverā€™s seat so far. The cover for the seat base cushion fits well enough, but the cover for the seat backrest cushion has up to a 1 inch of deep air pocket in it. I sent them a video of my finger just touching the seat cover on the driverā€™s backrest and pushing about 1 inch until I just felt the back of the seat. (I could only attach 2 photos here: 1) before pushing on air pocket; 2 )after pushing until felt backrest). This air space starts about 3 inches above the bottom of the seat cushion and continues up the backrest to about 3 inches below the top seam of the backrest cushion seat cover. The deepest 1 inch displacement is about 9 inches above the seat cushion.

I sent them ~ 10 photos & a video. Their team wants me to tell them if it is too wide or narrow. I donā€™t see how a simple "too narrow or too wide" requested correction is going to offer a "Perfect Fit". It is a bucket seat which changes dynamically in all dimensions.

I have never purchased seat covers before, but I know I donā€™t like the loose material, "waves", I see on some vehicle seat cover ads. Should I just accept the air pocket as good enough? At least I donā€™t see 1 or 2 loose waves of material on my seat back.

Iā€™d appreciate your opinions.

RangeFinder
Bucket seat parts & diagram.png

RangeFinder
05FC23A0-C11C-4870-A398-B88ABC262B65_1_105_c.jpeg
FB442E49-F71B-41A7-A5FD-97742171ACF8_1_105_c.jpeg
Sponsored

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
I've put seat covers in my Jeep TJ. Had similar air pockets at first, but they worked themselves out with use.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Wrinkles and waves seem to be a thing whether you buy the cheapest ones you can find or if you buy premium covers as you did. When I was working, I always wanted a set but the fit always was a stumbling block for me.

Wouldnā€™t it be great if there was a fabric that worked like heat shrink - put ā€˜em on and take a few passes with a heat gun set on low and voila!

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
In my experience, even cheapo covers take a few days(easier in direct sunlight) to conform.

The ones I had took about 2 days to smooth out til it looked OEM from a few feet away.

Awg9Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT SCAB
Forum enthusiasts!
I always slide out of my drivers seat to the ground. I decided I'd better get some seat covers to protect my original seats. I got the black neoprene by ShearComfort for ~$375 after discount. Their neoprene is more expensive than most of their materials. They claim a Perfect Fit Guarantee.

The headrests covers grossly lacked enough material to have the hook and loop material overlap for a clean and secure fit. I sent pictures to ShearComfort, and they have agreed to replace the headrest covers.

I only covered the driverā€™s seat so far. The cover for the seat base cushion fits well enough, but the cover for the seat backrest cushion has up to a 1 inch of deep air pocket in it. I sent them a video of my finger just touching the seat cover on the driverā€™s backrest and pushing about 1 inch until I just felt the back of the seat. (I could only attach 2 photos here: 1) before pushing on air pocket; 2 )after pushing until felt backrest). This air space starts about 3 inches above the bottom of the seat cushion and continues up the backrest to about 3 inches below the top seam of the backrest cushion seat cover. The deepest 1 inch displacement is about 9 inches above the seat cushion.

I sent them ~ 10 photos & a video. Their team wants me to tell them if it is too wide or narrow. I donā€™t see how a simple "too narrow or too wide" requested correction is going to offer a "Perfect Fit". It is a bucket seat which changes dynamically in all dimensions.

I have never purchased seat covers before, but I know I donā€™t like the loose material, "waves", I see on some vehicle seat cover ads. Should I just accept the air pocket as good enough? At least I donā€™t see 1 or 2 loose waves of material on my seat back.

Iā€™d appreciate your opinions.

RangeFinder
Bucket seat parts & diagram.png

RangeFinder
05FC23A0-C11C-4870-A398-B88ABC262B65_1_105_c.jpeg
FB442E49-F71B-41A7-A5FD-97742171ACF8_1_105_c.jpeg
I had a set of marathon seat covers on my frontier. As advertised, they fit perfectly and they were tough.

But they were hot as all get out.

OP
OP
RangeFinder

RangeFinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab
Occupation
Teacher
Wrinkles and waves seem to be a thing whether you buy the cheapest ones you can find or if you buy premium covers as you did. When I was working, I always wanted a set but the fit always was a stumbling block for me.

Wouldnā€™t it be great if there was a fabric that worked like heat shrink - put ā€˜em on and take a few passes with a heat gun set on low and voila!
Thank you Duke!. A friend of mine who is a service manager at a Ford dealership said, "Roll with it." He told me something about there being clips that held the OEM upolstery in place. The only
"perfect" fit is take the seat out and have it reupolstered. I like your shrink wrap vision. Neoprene is used for both wet and dry suits for scuba divers. I'm told the dry suits are very form-fitting compared to wet suits. Anyway, as I wrote Chris above, I will contact ShearComfort tomorrow and see if their design team will suggest I "roll with it." It was very hard to pull, push, and coax the covers on.

OP
OP
RangeFinder

RangeFinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab
Occupation
Teacher
In my experience, even cheapo covers take a few days(easier in direct sunlight) to conform.

The ones I had took about 2 days to smooth out til it looked OEM from a few feet away.
Thank you RedDakota. I'm not sure the super bouncy neoprene will work out in a few days, but heat and time will probably wear them down.

OP
OP
RangeFinder

RangeFinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab
Occupation
Teacher
I had a set of marathon seat covers on my frontier. As advertised, they fit perfectly and they were tough.

But they were hot as all get out.
I appreciate your input! Yep, if I was really tough, I would sit on Cordura, but I need cush for my toosh. šŸ’ŗ

Last edited:
OP
OP
RangeFinder

RangeFinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab
Occupation
Teacher
I suspect if they fit as tight as you want them to, they would be almost impossible to install. As stated above, I bet they will form to the seat with use.
Thanks Rob! I think you nailed me. If I don't want wrinkles, I probably got the best fit I am going to get. I will let everyone know what their design team, suggests, or better, what I decide to do. I don't even want to put on the passenger covers because it was so difficult for the driver's side. If there was enought material so as not to have an air pocket, the trade-off would probably be some wrinkles and loose material.

OP
OP
RangeFinder

RangeFinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab
Occupation
Teacher
I've put seat covers in my Jeep TJ. Had similar air pockets at first, but they worked themselves out with use.
Thank you Robert for taking the time to tell me your experience. I think the neoprene, synthetic rubber essentially, will resist stains and retain its shape, its ā€œbounce.ā€ I will probably live with it. They took hours to get on. The instructions were generic. I searched I will see what the ShearComfort team says today.

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Duke!. A friend of mine who is a service manager at a Ford dealership said, "Roll with it." He told me something about there being clips that held the OEM upolstery in place. The only
"perfect" fit is take the seat out and have it reupolstered. I like your shrink wrap vision. Neoprene is used for both wet and dry suits for scuba divers. I'm told the dry suits are very form-fitting compared to wet suits. Anyway, as I wrote Chris above, I will contact ShearComfort tomorrow and see if their design team will suggest I "roll with it." It was very hard to pull, push, and coax the covers on.
Iā€™ve had the upholstery off one of my SuperCab rear seats - there was a water incident and I was drying it out. OEM upholstery has plastic strips (kind of like corset stays) sewn into major seams. These strips have a series of holes in them so they can be fixed to parts of the seat frame with hog rings (look like surgical staples) using special pliers. A pain to reassemble without the pliers but you get a good sense of how they manage to get those side bolsters so snug.

I recall seat covers in the 70s that had hog rings (some had ā€œSā€ hooks) you had to clip to the underside of the seat. They were attached to strips of elastic. Of course, seats were so boxy back then, it was easy to get a good fit. Besides, fun fur hides wrinkles well. ;) šŸ¤£

I hope they settle in properly for you.

OP
OP
RangeFinder

RangeFinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab
Occupation
Teacher
Iā€™ve had the upholstery off one of my SuperCab rear seats - there was a water incident and I was drying it out. OEM upholstery has plastic strips (kind of like corset stays) sewn into major seams. These strips have a series of holes in them so they can be fixed to parts of the seat frame with hog rings (look like surgical staples) using special pliers. A pain to reassemble without the pliers but you get a good sense of how they manage to get those side bolsters so snug.

I recall seat covers in the 70s that had hog rings (some had ā€œSā€ hooks) you had to clip to the underside of the seat. They were attached to strips of elastic. Of course, seats were so boxy back then, it was easy to get a good fit. Besides, fun fur hides wrinkles well. ;) šŸ¤£

I hope they settle in properly for you.
Great description! I vaguely remember those old torn up car seats and fence tools.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
That is my next Buy, right now I have Cheap AF covers and they never stay in place, they just say CAT on them? but every time I get in or out (EVERY TIME) I have to readjust them :(
I just cant justify $250 for new covers right now.
Sponsored