First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My buddy that was a avid drag racer said all the engine builders were retiring or getting out of the business since everyone wants to do either a crate motor or LS swap. The Coyote swaps are just picking up steam, conversion parts were more limited an the motors were more expensive since GM put LS's in everything: trucks, suv's, family cars and Corvettes. There are even some LS swapped older mustangs running around which is blasphemy IMO.

My friend liked the old old school Cleveland motors but also knew his way around a Windsor. He built a monster 347 that put down 435 HP for a 2200 pound Shelby replica. He also strongly stated real racecars have clutch pedals and no electric launch controls.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Was the Coyote used in production? If so, what years and models?
:oops::confused: You didn't know the Coyote was a production engine in Mustangs and F-150's, in the USA??? It's in 4 more vehicles throughout the world too. Although, the Coyote in the Mustang and F-150 are different, the Mustang Coyote is sought after more. It was introduced in 2011, the Gen 1, in the 2011-2014 Mustang. Gen 2 were 2015-2017. Gen 3 were 2018-2022. The Gen 4 came out last year, but there aren't any swaps done yet, probably because of cost... This is a list of differences throughout the years, Mustang, not F-150:
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 20-56-33 Differences Between Gen 1 Gen 2 Gen 3 & Gen 4 5.0 Coyote Eng...png

F-150 vs Mustang comparisons:
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 21-03-12 5.0 coyote engine differences between mustang and f150 - Goo...png

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy that was a avid drag racer said all the engine builders were retiring or getting out of the business since everyone wants to do either a crate motor or LS swap. The Coyote swaps are just picking up steam, conversion parts were more limited an the motors were more expensive since GM put LS's in everything: trucks, suv's, family cars and Corvettes. There are even some LS swapped older mustangs running around which is blasphemy IMO.

My friend liked the old old school Cleveland motors but also knew his way around a Windsor. He built a monster 347 that put down 435 HP for a 2200 pound Shelby replica. He also strongly stated real racecars have clutch pedals and no electric launch controls.
Agree with you buddy! And yes, LS swapped Mustangs are blasphemy! As are Ford powered GM vehicles....

Agree with your friend about old school racing! Racing today doesn't do anything for me, everyone has almost the same vehicle, with almost the same powerplant and they're all automatics with electronic launch control garbage....

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Agree with you buddy! And yes, LS swapped Mustangs are blasphemy! As are Ford powered GM vehicles....

Agree with your friend about old school racing! Racing today doesn't do anything for me, everyone has almost the same vehicle, with almost the same powerplant and they're all automatics with electronic launch control garbage....
He has a '68 mustang coupe he bought new. Very little of it is left. The body has been moved to a tube chassis. I haven't seen him in a while since I moved but he used to race a manual transmission no electronics class. He ran a small block with no power adder an was trapping 150 mph I don't recall his times I just remember him having to add a chute because of his trap speed.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
I had an '89 LX 5.0 notch that I bought new. Really loved it because it was so much cleaner looking than the GT. Also lighter and a much stiffer body. Wish I still had it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Part of the reason Fox body's are going up in price, is Demo Derby. In the compact classes, it is getting really hard to find straight, complete Mustang II's and Pintos to prep. Darts and Valiants are all gone.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
:oops::confused: You didn't know the Coyote was a production engine in Mustangs and F-150's, in the USA??? It's in 4 more vehicles throughout the world too. Although, the Coyote in the Mustang and F-150 are different, the Mustang Coyote is sought after more. It was introduced in 2011, the Gen 1, in the 2011-2014 Mustang. Gen 2 were 2015-2017. Gen 3 were 2018-2022. The Gen 4 came out last year, but there aren't any swaps done yet, probably because of cost... This is a list of differences throughout the years, Mustang, not F-150:
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 20-56-33 Differences Between Gen 1 Gen 2 Gen 3 & Gen 4 5.0 Coyote Eng...png

F-150 vs Mustang comparisons:
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 21-03-12 5.0 coyote engine differences between mustang and f150 - Goo...png

I had a 2001 Mustang a long, long time ago. Back then, the Terminator Cobra was king. I crashed that car doing 115 mph on the local highway and kind of got out of the game after that. I also have a hard time keeping the code names in order. That's sweet though. Should be a fun, awesome car when this is done.

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Plans have once again changed, but no more! I ordered a Ford Performance Stroker 347 Short Block last night and now I'm trying to gather up everything needed to make it a Dressed Long Block?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6009-347

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Plans have once again changed, but no more! I ordered a Ford Performance Stroker 347 Short Block last night and now I'm trying to gather up everything needed to make it a Dressed Long Block?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6009-347
You have to know, by now, that I am going to ask... why the change? I don't think you can go wrong with whatever option, just curious.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
You have to know, by now, that I am going to ask... why the change? I don't think you can go wrong with whatever option, just curious.
They are both about the same cost wise. Was reading articles last night about installing the Coyote. They said most people did not use a front sway bar with a Coyote swap! I was thinking, screw that, so I started looking at what I had to do to keep my 36mm front sway bar? You have to hack off your OEM frame side rail sway bar mounts, grind them off completely flush, then buy more crap to relocate them forward about 3/4" of inch and now mount them on the underside of the frame rail and even lower... After all that, your wheels have a chance of coming into contact with the sway bar and possibly the struts/coilovers... I was thinking, this ain't worth it! It's a cool idea and swap, but I'd just be throwing money at it left and right to get it the way I'd want... The company helping me with the Coyote stuff had already quoted me $27k+ for engine, trans, ECU/harness and accessories. I'm thinking I should've just bought a 302 Boos/350hp long block... The guy helping me was supposed to tell me everything I needed to build this thing and he just keeps saying, he'll talk to people next week... I almost wish I didn't buy this car now...

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
@DukeCanBuildit Don't be :( faced. I'm debating on cancelling the short block... But not sure what I want to do?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@DukeCanBuildit Don't be :( faced. I'm debating on cancelling the short block... But not sure what I want to do?
If you want, do a pros and cons list for the option here and we can tell you how we think you should spend your money. I love telling other people how they should spend their money.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Well, your Ranger turned out pretty great so I’m sure whatever you do with this will be right up there!
Sponsored