My Observations of the Ranger Lariat After 5 year.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I purchased my Ranger on 4/20/19. I was in awe of the vehicle from the time I sat down. The first year I made 2 trips to Raleigh with it and loved how it handled on the WV Turnpike. The hills were unnoticeable. The Ranger did me well for 2 years.

The2nd year I put up with the bucking/surging problem at 33k. That took 2 months to get corrected. A few months later Sync3 problems started to plague me as it would lose SiriusXM from time to time and default to and obnoxious AM station every time the vehicle started. The first attempt to correct it the dealer installed a new part. It than worked for about 2 months and started messing up again. Seemed like every 6 months there was a problem that would show up.

The end of the 3rd year the heater box messed up only giving the driver heat and passenger AC. This was fixed with the extended warrantee and it took the dealer 3 days. The dealer told me it was a good thing I had the extended coverage. The 4th year the truck was plagued with Sync3 problems again.

In April 24 I got an email that my extended coverage ended at 60k and I had 61k. The very next day and after 16 months since being repaired the heater box messed up again. A trip to the dealer didn't help. I was told this repair was on me and would likely run $1200. I was also advised to pick up another Ford Extended warrantee at a cost of $2700 plus $200 for an inspection before coverage. They wanted to know when I wanted to schedule the inspection and repair. Told them I'd get back later week.

That was the last straw. I drove that truck to the Toyota dealer near me and drove away in a Tacoma. I'm done with Ford Vehicles. My biggest complaint is the tech stuff. All if it kept going bad for 5 years. The only way to own a Ranger is to avoid all the high tech accessories.
Sponsored

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
Wow alot of bad luck that can happen with any vehicle. I like fords tech but it's an after thought in the ranger. The F150 was very nice.

I hate the climate control on this pos ranger. It's like an after thought. I came to the conclusion that I'm not doing any extras to this thing because I'm not going to keep it.

Our 23 Rav4 XSE Hybrid is bad arse. I'm waiting for there hybrid trucks... My ranger stays in the garage most of it's life. LOL

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the exact same time we have another thread of a guy happy with his problem free 2019 Ranger at 100k. It is really hit or miss with these it seems.

What was the trade in value if you don't mind?
Yea it's really hit or miss with cars and trucks nowadays. Mine's problem free I just hate the layout.

I need a second screen to control the climate. I hate when cars incorp everything into one screen . Stupid. The F150 was a perfect balance. The Rav4 is also a perfect balance.

The ranger will not stay in recir air mode. I guess fords decides on the ranger when you need outside air. I never had a car do this before. Very Strange. I would like to disconnect the motor and leave it shut all the time. LOL

There is some cool stuff coming out in '25...

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
The ranger will not stay in recir air mode. I guess fords decides on the ranger when you need outside air. I never had a car do this before. Very Strange. I would like to disconnect the motor and leave it shut all the time. LOL
My 2007 GM and our 2020 Honda have timers on the recirculation as well. I think this was a safety thing in case of carbon monoxide or some other noxious fumes getting trapped in the cabin.

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hate to hear that, my Lariat is a 06/19 build date with 60k miles and has been relatively problem free.
The only "issues" I've had are the squeaky brake "feature" going 0-8 mph, and some surging.
1st year model woes I reckon?

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2007 GM and our 2020 Honda have timers on the recirculation as well. I think this was a safety thing in case of carbon monoxide or some other noxious fumes getting trapped in the cabin.
Strange My wife's 23 Rav4 stays like you leave it. No matter what. We take her car most all the time. 48 mpg might as well. LOL Unless we making a lowes run. :)

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yea it's really hit or miss with cars and trucks nowadays. Mine's problem free I just hate the layout.

I need a second screen to control the climate. I hate when cars incorp everything into one screen . Stupid. The F150 was a perfect balance. The Rav4 is also a perfect balance.

There is some cool stuff coming out in '25...
I just wish it had good old knobs so I didn't have to take my eyes off the road to change the AC.

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wish it had good old knobs so I didn't have to take my eyes off the road to change the AC.
Yea it's a shit show trying to change anything in this truck. It needs to be like an aircraft you can feel for any button or knob you need.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Your heater box should have been covered on the second failure.

I had my heater box replaced via extended warranty at 38k miles, 3.25 years. The dealer told me the replacement is warranted for two years, unlimited miles (no extended warranty deductible). After those two years a failure would be my expense, or a new claim on the end extended warranty (if still in effect). Call Ford (assuming you have the Ford extended warranty), but too late as your switched vehicles.

Also, sounds like you had three problems with your Ranger:

* One was fixed and did not return (bucking/surging).
* Heater box that plagued almost 100% of early builds and even some later builds (like me). As stated above, your second repair should have been covered if it was within two years. Sounds like you might have been just outside two years between failures?
* Sync3 issues. I bet it was never correctly fixed. I'm curious what the issue here is.

Hope you do better in the Toyota. Same as your Ranger, your Tacoma is also a first production year. Not a good suggestion if you want the best odds for the least manufacturing defects. I like to get year three and later. No guarantee, but hopefully more production issues are worked out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
At the exact same time we have another thread of a guy happy with his problem free 2019 Ranger at 100k. It is really hit or miss with these it seems.

What was the trade in value if you don't mind?
I got 24k for the Ranger. As much as I liked that truck I was never so happy as when I pulled out in the Tacoma. There were way to many things going wrong with it. I never mentioned how any time the temp dropped below 36 degrees here in the winter the parking sensors quit working and if it snowed cruise control wouldn't work.

Another hilight was in March the battery needed replaced. That battery was $300 because it's no longer lead. That was actually something that I was OK with, it lasted just under 5 years but that's a decent life for a battery.

The heater box was 16 months from the first repair and They would not fix it for free. I just remember the $2700 for the extended warranty, $200 for the inspection and $1200 for the heater box. I thought how that was a lot of money for a five year old vehicle that kept having problems. All I can say about is Ford needs to learn how to build vehicles. Not the mechanical things, the high tech things that get added.

OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your heater box should have been covered on the second failure.

Hope you do better in the Toyota. Same as your Ranger, your Tacoma is also a first production year. Not a good suggestion if you want the best odds for the least manufacturing defects. I like to get year three and later. No guarantee, but hopefully more production issues are worked out.
This was another thing that I learned with the Ranger. That truck was fine for 3 years and then it fell apart. With that thought I leased the Tacoma for 3 years. I'll drive it for 3 years and turn it over to someone else.

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
I sold my 2019 Ranger Lariat in January. Traded it in on a used 2023 Toyota Tacoma Limited. The Ranger had 25,000 miles on it and I got $30,700 trade in on it. The Tacoma was $42,000.
I never had anything go wrong with my Ranger except for the black rubber peeling on the roof.

I love the engine in the Ranger it is fast and quick.

I got the V6 Tacoma and it will move but you have to put your foot into it.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased my Ranger on 4/20/19. I was in awe of the vehicle from the time I sat down. The first year I made 2 trips to Raleigh with it and loved how it handled on the WV Turnpike. The hills were unnoticeable. The Ranger did me well for 2 years.

The2nd year I put up with the bucking/surging problem at 33k. That took 2 months to get corrected. A few months later Sync3 problems started to plague me as it would lose SiriusXM from time to time and default to and obnoxious AM station every time the vehicle started. The first attempt to correct it the dealer installed a new part. It than worked for about 2 months and started messing up again. Seemed like every 6 months there was a problem that would show up.

The end of the 3rd year the heater box messed up only giving the driver heat and passenger AC. This was fixed with the extended warrantee and it took the dealer 3 days. The dealer told me it was a good thing I had the extended coverage. The 4th year the truck was plagued with Sync3 problems again.

In April 24 I got an email that my extended coverage ended at 60k and I had 61k. The very next day and after 16 months since being repaired the heater box messed up again. A trip to the dealer didn't help. I was told this repair was on me and would likely run $1200. I was also advised to pick up another Ford Extended warrantee at a cost of $2700 plus $200 for an inspection before coverage. They wanted to know when I wanted to schedule the inspection and repair. Told them I'd get back later week.

That was the last straw. I drove that truck to the Toyota dealer near me and drove away in a Tacoma. I'm done with Ford Vehicles. My biggest complaint is the tech stuff. All if it kept going bad for 5 years. The only way to own a Ranger is to avoid all the high tech accessories.
I'm sorry to hear about your Ranger's issues. I bought my 2019 Lariat new and have had no problems more significant than a dead battery at four years +, but I don't blame you for dropping Ford after driving a vehicle like that! Enjoy your new ride. I hope that it will be trouble-free!
Sponsored