Ranger 2019 T3 Brake Controller - No Pigtails

Phydo

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Hi all. I’m trying to install Tekonsha P3 brake controller on my 2019 STX. It seems pretty straightforward installation once you locate the four lose wire ends. Somehow, I located the wires, but they are wired to the other connector ( I believe marked as J7) under the dashboard above the fuses. Anyone else got to the same issue? I attached the photos. Thanks!

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1419.jpeg
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
If you do not have the tow package....I don't believe the 2019's had the wires needed for a brake controller.
If equipped with the wires, they are taped separate from the bundle in your picture and end in a "cut"....they are not attached or run to anything as far as I know.
DO NOT start cutting wires to try and splice something.....you may do far more damage....
I'm sure some others will chime in.....

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Some of the lower end 2019 Rangers did not have the trailer brake controller pigtails. I have heard of Ford installing the pigtails for free. On the higher end Rangers, the pigtails were included even though it didn't have the trailer tow package. My Lariat didn't have the trailer tow package, but it had the pigtails taped up under the dash. You might check with your dealer to see if they will install the necessary wiring pigtails.

OP
OP

Phydo

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
If you do not have the tow package....I don't believe the 2019's had the wires needed for a brake controller.
If equipped with the wires, they are taped separate from the bundle in your picture and end in a "cut"....they are not attached or run to anything as far as I know.
DO NOT start cutting wires to try and splice something.....you may do far more damage....
I'm sure some others will chime in.....
I agree. I’m not going to cut any wire. Im looking at some other ways to get the controller installed. I do have a connection at the back where I added the pigtail and have been towing a trailer with no issues. However, I want to add the brake controller since I started to tow a larger trailer recently.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I agree. I’m not going to cut any wire. Im looking at some other ways to get the controller installed. I do have a connection at the back where I added the pigtail and have been towing a trailer with no issues. However, I want to add the brake controller since I started to tow a larger trailer recently.
There was Customer Satisfaction Program ‘20B55‘ for Ford to add the missing wiring at no cost. Unfortunately, that program is now expired. You may try calling Ford Customer Service to see if they will do something for you.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/attachments/dealer-letter-20b55v2-pdf.69461/

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Is that may be just the 7 pin plug for the rear bumper. If the OP doesn't have the wires under the dash that won't help him.
That part is the same as called for in the Customer Satisfaction Program 20B55 bulletin mentioned above, so should be correct for the pigtails.
Sponsored