First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
The problem with adding roll stiffness to the rear of your truck is that unloaded, the truck will tend more towards oversteer. Whether the stability control can catch and correct for that I don't know, but be aware that there is no free lunch with adding stiffness to the rear and nothing to the front.

I would tread lightly in the rain with an unloaded truck and a stiffened rear end.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Both if you could swing it. Will make a huge difference.
This was my first thought - why not both? Then, I thought, what the blazes do I know about towing - better let the Towminators like Steve and Shawn chime in. 😀

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
The problem with adding roll stiffness to the rear of your truck is that unloaded, the truck will tend more towards oversteer. Whether the stability control can catch and correct for that I don't know, but be aware that there is no free lunch with adding stiffness to the rear and nothing to the front.

I would tread lightly in the rain with an unloaded truck and a stiffened rear end.
A lot of people who drive rwd vehicles are used to oversteer and the ability to rotate mid turn with the throttle. Understeer imo is dangerous and causes plowing. Oversteer offers a crisper high speed manuver if you are prepared for it. I also liked mechanical lockers on 2wd trucks in snow and ice. Not sure if its skill or lack of skill but works for me.

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
A lot of people who drive rwd vehicles are used to oversteer and the ability to rotate mid turn with the throttle. Understeer imo is dangerous and causes plowing. Oversteer offers a crisper high speed manuver if you are prepared for it. I also liked mechanical lockers on 2wd trucks in snow and ice. Not sure if its skill or lack of skill but works for me.
At high speed I felt like I lost the crispness in steering, felt like if something happened I would have an issue controlling the vehicle and hence the Hellwig to the rescue.

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
A Honda chassis designer told me that the mfg's design understeer in on purpose, as the average driver has poor car control skills and it's easier for someone to sense and correct for understeer than oversteer. Once oversteer sets in and the back of the vehicle starts to slide, it is harder to recover from for the average driver.
This conversation came up when we were building two CRZ's to run the 25hr race in Calif, they had us install 1100lb rear springs and a 1 1/8" rear sway bar to a wimpy 1.5L front wheel drive car to eliminate the understeer, they made that car perfectly neutral in a high speed turn.

So I agree with the members comments above about oversteer, I'll take it over understeer.

Anyways sorry to get distracted, usually I fully agree about the shocks, they are soft pogo stick absorbers, but the OP is dealing more with top heavy induced body roll, just the thing a sway bar is designed for, I don't know much about Roadmaster, but I'm sure Grumpaw has done the research, so it's a good sign that he endorses them.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I think every one of us agrees about the need for better shocks, especially the rear's.
As far as sway bars vs the Roadmaster system vs airbags, it's just our opinions based on what we've used or are using....nothing wrong with any....just personal preference and what you'd be most comfortable with.
For my use, I've found that going to a 10 ply E rated tire also helped. Towing my heavy trailer/heavy tongue weight, I just feel a bit more comfortable that I'll never overload the tires.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I think every one of us agrees about the need for better shocks, especially the rear's.
As far as sway bars vs the Roadmaster system vs airbags, it's just our opinions based on what we've used or are using....nothing wrong with any....just personal preference and what you'd be most comfortable with.
For my use, I've found that going to a 10 ply E rated tire also helped. Towing my heavy trailer/heavy tongue weight, I just feel a bit more comfortable that I'll never overload the tires.
Between sway bars, airbags and the Roadmaster system, I feel it depends on what the overall goal is. Then again if your truck is not "Level" before your load then chances are there is no need for Air Bags. With my 2019 that I had, it still had the Rake that others despised and yet it had no problems leveling out when a load was applied to the truck whether that was in the bed or when a trailer was being towed. As for the need for a sway bar? Well for my setup it wasn't necessary even when towing. Since it isn't a factory item I figured there was no real need. If it was a factory item then I would say try and keep it.

OP
OP

Billpaw

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SuperCab 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Thanks everyone, for taking the time to address my question It’s really a privilege to have access to this level of knowledge and experience.

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The names say it all;

Sway bar, designed to reduce sway.

Shock absorber, designed to dampen.

I know it's more complicated than that, as a shock can slow down the sway effect.

The shock is unable to pull the chassis back down (or push it up) the way a sway bar does, it connects both sides of the suspension trying to keep the load level, when one side compresses the other side is trying to push it up.

I would go straight to a sway bar, set it on the firmest setting, if it was a empty truck the shocks probably would do the trick, but with a 1500# load, my 2 cents is on a bar for best improvement.

I have the Hellwig on a empty truck, a member here told me to go straight to firm, I tried all three settings, ended up on firm, even though it's 7/8" you can twist it by hand, it's not overkill that's for sure.

Best bet would be to try for both shocks and bar, you have a pretty good load in the back, but in picking one, I vote for the bar.

Good luck!
Mike, i just installed my hellwig and took your advice and went straight to the stiffest position. I have not road tested it because I'm too tired. At almost 70 and refusing to remove the spare to make things more accessible, I fought that bugger and finally got it installed. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow and see how it rides, and adjust if necessary. I'm getting to old for these install torture tests, getting up/down and all around really takes it toll. I'm hoping my reward is now the vehicle performs as I expect it too.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Mike, i just installed my hellwig and took your advice and went straight to the stiffest position. I have not road tested it because I'm too tired. At almost 70 and refusing to remove the spare to make things more accessible, I fought that bugger and finally got it installed. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow and see how it rides, and adjust if necessary. I'm getting to old for these install torture tests, getting up/down and all around really takes it toll. I'm hoping my reward is now the vehicle performs as I expect it too.
As a suggestion I would go to the softest setting. Just adding the rear sway bar will make a huge difference alone.

Reactions: EJH

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
As a suggestion I would go to the softest setting. Just adding the rear sway bar will make a huge difference alone.
You could be right but I would have wanted to see what the stiffest position feels like anyway.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD

Nothing 300lbs of sand bags shouldn't fix, though.

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Frenchy, You know what ,I think I'll start on the soffest setting as you suggested as maybe it'll give the ride I'm looking for, Thx

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I too would attempt the stiffest first. Get the most change for your money and dial back as needed. But starting with shocks will make a huge difference OP. Try it out

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I tried all three settings, a member here said straight to stiff, I ended up on stiff.

I hear you on the crawling under the truck with an old body, I think I used to live under a car I liked working on them so much, now it's work just just crawling around.

I hope you get the results you are looking for👍
Sponsored