First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
IT Manager/Director
I took my 2020 Ranger XLT, 50k, on-road only to get new tires. Up on the rack they showed me that both shoals and both struts show oil leakage. Then explained for $2k they can replace them all. Does that sound realistic? All 4 at 50k miles? $2k?
Sponsored

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds realistic, but for $2k you can go with better aftermarket shocks on all four corners installed. Take your pick from Fox, Bilstein, Eibach...

The stock shocks are so lousy and there have been other reports here of them leaking. Your truck will feel like a different/better truck with new aftermarket shops. It is unreal how bad the OEM shocks are.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Would this include the FX suspension as well or just the standard one?

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I took my 2020 Ranger XLT, 50k, on-road only to get new tires. Up on the rack they showed me that both shoals and both struts show oil leakage. Then explained for $2k they can replace them all. Does that sound realistic? All 4 at 50k miles? $2k?
My FX2 shock was leaking at under 5K when I replaced all 4 corners. Just don't go with Ford OEM. They all suck expect for Tremor package.

Reactions: EJH

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm at 47K, and also feel it might be time for new shocks, especially because of the terrible roads here. I don't know, but 2K sounds high. I'll check into Bilstein or Eibach, for about $150 each and do it myself.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I have the Bilstein 5100's and love them. I did that early at about 5000 miles. So glad I did that. $2,000 does seem too expensive for all 4 done. Mine was around $1,200 for all 4 installed and that seemed like a lot but was way worth it!

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
realistic depends on how and where you are driving.

As for 2k to replace all 4 - is that parts and labor?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2019-2022-ford-ranger-coilover-packages.html

Depending on what you are looking for from your vehicle in the end, a basic upgrade is ~1200 for parts. Depending on what you are looking for from your truck, the sky is the limit for costs.

looks like from fords website it is anywhere from 40 bucks (that just seems cheap to me) to close to 200 per corner, without new springs.

Depending on how handy you are, you can do the rears in an hour, and the fronts I have seen ~an hour per side - consider it a long saturday afternoon driveway project. Or a half a day at a shop project....

EDIT: Rockauto has bilstein 5100's for ~500 bucks for all 4 corners - minus the springs. that would be another time and expense removing and replacing springs on the frontend... https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...charged,3445187,suspension,shock+/+strut,7556

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
realistic depends on how and where you are driving.

As for 2k to replace all 4 - is that parts and labor?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2019-2022-ford-ranger-coilover-packages.html

Depending on what you are looking for from your vehicle in the end, a basic upgrade is ~1200 for parts. Depending on what you are looking for from your truck, the sky is the limit for costs.

looks like from fords website it is anywhere from 40 bucks (that just seems cheap to me) to close to 200 per corner, without new springs.

Depending on how handy you are, you can do the rears in an hour, and the fronts I have seen ~an hour per side - consider it a long saturday afternoon driveway project. Or a half a day at a shop project....

EDIT: Rockauto has bilstein 5100's for ~500 bucks for all 4 corners - minus the springs. that would be another time and expense removing and replacing springs on the frontend... https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...charged,3445187,suspension,shock+/+strut,7556
Would the coil springs NEED to be replaced, or can I just swap shocks on the front?

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Would the coil springs NEED to be replaced, or can I just swap shocks on the front?
You don't have to replace the spring, unless you've added extra weight or want to change how the truck handles. Even than, you don't HAVE to replace it...

It is also much easier to install pre assembled coil overs. I say that because I've assembled several sets of coil overs in my driveway using a range of at home spring compressors. For me, going forward it is not worth the risk. Even if it costs me 100 bucks more per corner, I'll buy pre assembled....

There is no one setup that works for everyone, an example is @Colo_Ranger has the OME setup, he loves it. It won't feel the same for me. He has larger tires, bumpers drawers and a cap. Not to mention all the kit, baby stuff and tent he carries. It really bothers me when people say do this it's great. Because everyone has a different setup, and a different suspension feel that they like. That's why race vehicles spend tons on suspension setups, to get the vehicle to react in the exact way the driver wants. A different driver in the same vehicle will probably want a different setup....

/soapbox.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Get a full set of Eibach Pro Lift (includes front level spring) for around $600...

fjwlobo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCREW
Something else to think about 🤔.

If you decide to level your truck with the new struts, you "MAY" need aftermarket UCA's in order to align the front end so you don't ruin your tires. Some people that leveled their truck couldn't get the truck aligned within specs until they changed them.

Reactions: Doc

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Something else to think about 🤔.

If you decide to level your truck with the new struts, you "MAY" need aftermarket UCA's in order to align the front end so you don't ruin your tires. Some people that leveled their truck couldn't get the truck aligned within specs until they changed them.
If you only lift the front 1-2" above stock, no need for new UCA. Most of the coilovers are adjustable. You can often still go with a stock height too. I have the Fox 2.0s, but opted to only raise the front about an inch over my stock height. The local alignment shop had no issues getting things into spec.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc