Transmission leaking doing 80

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Let’s break it down, have you had any work done it recently? Have you spotted any drops/leaks on your driveway or area you park as of late?

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I did a drop and fill with new filter at 60k (at 66k now) and no leaks because I park in the same spots with no stains until today.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Probably not a leak. Likely overfilled and foamed the fluid causing it to overheat/blow out at high speeds. A few people have had that happen as the 10R80 is very sensitive to being overfilled.

The likely reason it was acting odd is that foamy/hot transmission fluid makes a horrible hydraulic fluid and would cause apply pressures to drop, and the valve body to act all wonky.

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resourc...hooting-ford-10-speed-atf-venting-overheating

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Why would it do that now after 3 months of driving? I finally felt it slipping for the first time also.

Hard to say exactly. Do you regularly drive 80+. Were outside temps elevated today?

I had the same problem. Fluid change and drove it for a couple months and it didn't rear its head until we were at sustained high speeds dragging the camper home from Florida.

Blew out a bunch of fluid and had a 8-9-10 flare on the highway and 250* trans temps. (I hadn't been monitoring the temp to that point)

When I checked the fluid when I got home it was spot on the correct level so, it blew out the excess.

Never set a DTC, and the first sign of a problem was the shift flare, which immediately put me in full on alert mode. Slowed down, cooled down and trans went back to normal. Stopped for gas, fluid blown all over the front of the camper and underside of the truck.

That was last September. Been fine ever since. I've done a D&F on the trans since then and had nothing unusual come out of the drain, or stuck to the magnet.

Big thing is recognizing the problem and immediately get the speed and temps down. Don't keep your foot into it, since flaring shifts is super hard on clutch surfaces.

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say exactly. Do you regularly drive 80+. Were outside temps elevated today?

I had the same problem. Fluid change and drove it for a couple months and it didn't rear its head until we were at sustained high speeds dragging the camper home from Florida.

Blew out a bunch of fluid and had a 8-9-10 flare on the highway and 250* trans temps. (I hadn't been monitoring the temp to that point)

When I checked the fluid when I got home it was spot on the correct level so, it blew out the excess.
Interesting. Yes, I have a lead foot but weather was fair.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Interesting. Yes, I have a lead foot but weather was fair.
I monitor temps every time I drive now and have never had them creep up that high since then. But then again, I haven't been playing highway dodge-em with the camper and hauling ass.

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I monitor temps every time I drive now and have never had them creep up that high since then. But then again, I haven't been playing highway dodge-em with the camper and hauling ass.
Question of curiosity. Did you transmission event give any warning lights?

Edit: Decided to take a trip around the neighborhood and seems fine and now parked to see if it leaks more. I might take it to 80 on a blvd later to further test.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
When mine blew out fluid while in 10th, tranny went crazy and shifted up/down ending getting stuck at 5th...BRIGHT YELLOW WRENCH LIGHT LIT! I have cameras under my truck and saw fluid pouring out leaving a trail as I came to a stop...everyone knows my story from there...

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare

Edit: Decided to take a trip around the neighborhood and seems fine and now parked to see if it leaks more. I might take it to 80 on a blvd later to further test.

Nope, never a single light or code. Never derated. First sign was the shift flare, which immediately grabbed my attention.

I'd grab a couple cans of brake cleaner and hose everything off down there, chances are, you won't see any fluid seeping out of anywhere if it wasn't before.

The stuff will get everywhere, so you might think it is still 'leaking' when it is just dripping down off of someplace.

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Took it out again and up to 80 and it's fine with no light and shifting ok. I'll gamble and travel on the highway tomorrow with a sustained 80. Seems to not be leaking at the transmission pan. Down towards the rear of the transmission still have oil from the original leak.

tygr2007

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Automotive Detailing
I did a drop and fill with new filter at 60k (at 66k now) and no leaks because I park in the same spots with no stains until today.
Probably overfilled it. Same symptoms I had. (I do have an aftermarket pan though, but still was overfilled.)

That silver plug on the side if the transmission is the dipstick. They make you get it nice and hot and check the level. Have to squeeze you hand between the cat and transmission while it's burning. Ford definitely owns stocks in burn hospitals.

1714266584054-2q.jpg

After correcting the fill level, my transmission is back to normal; hopefully yours will be too. Best of luck to ya, let's hope this ain't a major 10R80 breakdown. EDIT: Saw your resolution post just now... still make sure you check that level.

OP
OP
Peter949

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Took the truck out on the freeway and did a sustain 80mpg drive and touched 100 twice. No warning lights and shifting is normal. Found a few droplets of oil after parking it which is probably new. I will be taking it to transmission service business that did my maintenance for a professional opinion and diagnose. My amateur guess is our board members might have diagnose a overfill correct and my so called professionals did a shit job lol.
Sponsored