First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I guess I never thought much about the weight difference when in an accident with a lighter vehicle. The F-150 Lightning EV pickup is 2,000 to 3,000 pounds heavier than the same model’s combustion version. The Mustang Mach E electric SUV and the Volvo XC40 EV, she said, are roughly 33% heavier than their gasoline counterparts. Looks like something else they (you know who) forgot to think about before pushing these out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-official-warns-risks-posed-200630606.html

The head of the National Transportation Safety Board expressed concern Wednesday about the safety risks that heavy electric vehicles pose if they collide with lighter vehicles.

“We have to be careful that we aren’t also creating unintended consequences: More death on our roads,” she said. “Safety, especially when it comes to new transportation policies and new technologies, cannot be overlooked.”

The official, Jennifer Homendy, raised the issue in a speech in Washington to the Transportation Research Board. She noted, by way of example, that an electric GMC Hummer weighs about 9,000 pounds (4,000 kilograms), with a battery pack that alone is 2,900 pounds (1,300 kilograms) — roughly the entire weight of a typical Honda Civic.

“I’m concerned about the increased risk of severe injury and death for all road users from heavier curb weights and increasing size, power, and performance of vehicles on our roads, including electric vehicles,” Homendy said in remarks prepared for the group.

The extra weight that EVs typically carry stems from the outsize mass of their batteries. To achieve 300 or more miles (480 or more kilometers) of range per charge from an EV, batteries have to weigh thousands of pounds.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I am surprised it took this long to say something. Seems they have been talking about the size of trucks and suv's causing more injuries to occupants of small cars for a while. This is only going to make it worse.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I am surprised it took this long to say something. Seems they have been talking about the size of trucks and suv's causing more injuries to occupants of small cars for a while. This is only going to make it worse.
Exactly! I never realized the Lightning was 1 - 1 1/2 tons heavier than an ICE version. o_O That's a lot of mass colliding with a small compact car. Heck that's a lot no matter what you're hitting.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
A structural engineer and I were talking a few months ago about the weight differential of EV's and how that would impact capacity on current parking garages. Those engineered concrete structures are designed with static and dynamic loads in mind. EV's will change their design specs a bit.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
A structural engineer and I were talking a few months ago about the weight differential of EV's and how that would impact capacity on current parking garages. Those engineered concrete structures are designed with static and dynamic loads in mind. EV's will change their design specs a bit.
That's another good point Jason. Imagine a full parking garage with EV's especially larger trucks and SUV's? There's a lot of older ones (garages) all across the country that were designed for much lighter loads years ago. Talk about an accident waiting to happen. :eek:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Exactly! I never realized the Lightning was 1 - 1 1/2 tons heavier than an ICE version. o_O That's a lot of mass colliding with a small compact car. Heck that's a lot no matter what you're hitting.
It will definitely up the kinetic energy with the extra mass.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Someone was commenting about the Lightning riding so nice for a truck. Put a pallet of concrete in the back of your ice F150 and it will ride smoother too!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Gonna need LOT'S more aluminum in that body to make up for the extra weight.
Maybe better if they used thin plastic sheet for the body.....
True but how much lighter can you make them? The F150 is just about all aluminum now and with a weight difference of 2-3,000 lbs that's still a huge difference.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Gonna need LOT'S more aluminum in that body to make up for the extra weight.
Maybe better if they used thin plastic sheet for the body.....
They are using standard aluminum foil instead of heavy duty.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Yup, tires will probably last 30% less than ICE because of the extra weight to wear ratio. Then comes fires. Can you imagine a parking garage full of EV’s catching on fire. Sprinkler systems are only going to make tons of steam. No way you’re putting that one out.

Or floods and these things are under water. Get close enough you become an electric eel ?
Sponsored