Water in spark plug well

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
Has anyone removed the spark plugs with low mileage and put anti-seize on them and reinstalled them? Seems like a good idea.
It's on my list.
The engine cover doesn't cover the #4 plug well closest to the firewall. The cowling above that plug/coil pack has a clip right above the plug and water that is running off that cowling runs right through the clip and down into the number 4 plug well (with the stock engine cover on), this water can come from something as simple as the car wash.

Beyond that problem, which the cover doesn't address, I have a hard time understanding how any of the other plug wells get water in them, cover or no cover. Unless you have a snorkel that is actually doing something when you commute across that river. :)
The JCR cover does a better job.
1000004961.jpg

Particularly with some edge trim
1000005013.jpg
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The engine cover doesn't cover the #4 plug well closest to the firewall. The cowling above that plug/coil pack has a clip right above the plug and water that is running off that cowling runs right through the clip and down into the number 4 plug well (with the stock engine cover on), this water can come from something as simple as the car wash.

Beyond that problem, which the cover doesn't address, I have a hard time understanding how any of the other plug wells get water in them, cover or no cover. Unless you have a snorkel that is actually doing something when you commute across that river. :)
It has to do with the (Nose Down) level of parking, if you have the rainwater drip issue, it can run down the valley of the head into the #1 plug well (most forward plug)

If only a slight (Nose Down) level of parking it gravitates towards the #4 plug well (most rearward plug)

It's all about the Gravity Flow of the rainwater which appears to originate from the cowl drip point.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
It's on my list.

The JCR cover does a better job.
1000004961.jpg

Particularly with some edge trim
1000005013.jpg
i was unaware of this brand. this product is cheaper than the Ford cover, and they've got a number of other nifty products for the Ranger. Nice! Just wanted to say thanks for the share!

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
i was unaware of this brand. this product is cheaper than the Ford cover, and they've got a number of other nifty products for the Ranger. Nice! Just wanted to say thanks for the share!
Don't mention it

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
It has to do with the (Nose Down) level of parking, if you have the rainwater drip issue, it can run down the valley of the head into the #1 plug well (most forward plug)

If only a slight (Nose Down) level of parking it gravitates towards the #4 plug well (most rearward plug)

It's all about the Gravity Flow of the rainwater which appears to originate from the cowl drip point.
I guess that makes sense, although you would have to be parking REALLY nose down for the drip to miss that #4 cylinder, but I suppose it is possible.

For anyone thinking the OEM cover cover (which I have) eliminates the water collection issue, just run your truck through a carwash and flash a light on the number four coil park, it will have a puddle of water on top of it.

The only way to eliminate the problem is to create a dam like device that diverts the water dripping off the cowling to either side of the engine.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
The only way to eliminate the problem is to create a dam like device that diverts the water dripping off the cowling to either side of the engine.
Split pipe insulation is the cheapest way, probably already have some layaround somewhere 🤔...
1696375771060.png

I also sealed my cowl with bolts and tossed those plastic push rivets ...

Last edited:

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Split pipe insulation is the cheapest way, probably already have some layaround somewhere 🤔...
1696375771060.png

I also sealed my cowl with bolts and tossed those plastic push rivets ...
It never has come off?

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Would the water from a car wash dissipate from the heat of the engine before pooling around the spark plugs? I would think it would turn to steam and "burn off". Just a thought. I can definitely see how rain water would pool because the engine is cold. I found a piece of pipe insulation like the picture above and added that to my truck. I do have the Ford engine cover. I also have a Crew Car Wash membership and frequently use their car wash as I have a half-mile dirt/gravel road that leads to my house.

MrBusses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4dr FX4
Occupation
Ford Tech
Sorry folks those of you claiming it is warranty are flat wrong. A TSB does not imply warranty coverage only a recall does. At the bottom of the TSB "Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article"

TSB will only fall under warranty if under base 30/36 coverage or ESP plan covers the repair. I am a Ford master tech trust me on this.

Joranger2023

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Just put mine on, it has the adhesive also
IMG_3794.jpeg

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Sorry folks those of you claiming it is warranty are flat wrong. A TSB does not imply warranty coverage only a recall does. At the bottom of the TSB "Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article"

TSB will only fall under warranty if under base 30/36 coverage or ESP plan covers the repair. I am a Ford master tech trust me on this.
Thanks for the clarification on this issue.
In your professional opinion what should an owner do -If they experience this and find the plugs frozen in the head?

I have not personally experienced this and have clean plug wells but found this issue unsettling for just a rainwater issue (mostly) as I am sure some of the issue would be from washing the engine bay or splashing through deep water.

I have a mechanical background and know the tricks on how to remove frozen plugs (hopefully without breakage)
The trick is warm to the touch and baby step them out, CCW / CW / CCW with lots of penetrating oil.

Now for the important question:
What is Fords take on Appling Anti-Seize to the threads to counter the water in the wells issue?
The manuals do not specify to apply or not apply, and the unknown is being that the plugs generally have a coating on the threads - Is the Torque given for the plugs include the coating torque (wet) or is it a dry torque?

MrBusses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4dr FX4
Occupation
Ford Tech
Thanks for the clarification on this issue.
In your professional opinion what should an owner do -If they experience this and find the plugs frozen in the head?

I have not personally experienced this and have clean plug wells but found this issue unsettling for just a rainwater issue (mostly) as I am sure some of the issue would be from washing the engine bay or splashing through deep water.

I have a mechanical background and know the tricks on how to remove frozen plugs (hopefully without breakage)
The trick is warm to the touch and baby step them out, CCW / CW / CCW with lots of penetrating oil.

Now for the important question:
What is Fords take on Appling Anti-Seize to the threads to counter the water in the wells issue?
The manuals do not specify to apply or not apply, and the unknown is being that the plugs generally have a coating on the threads - Is the Torque given for the plugs include the coating torque (wet) or is it a dry torque?

So I literally just did my spark plugs last weekend and 2 & 3 were rusty. I blew out the plug wells and saw the rust blow out so I just had the engine warm and worked it by hand loose and didn't have an issue.

If they are frozen in the head and won't come out by hand warm engine penetrating oil impact wrench and pray. If they break well it's gonna need a head no other way around it.

Don't wash the engine bay and go slow through water

As for anti seize I only use a light amount for n the threads and I don't torque just make give them a good extra tug

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Well I imagine they will say to not use anti-seize, but I always do on alloy heads, I found Permatex works well and just use sparingly. There is nothing surer to ruin your day than having a plug come out with it's thread still attached.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
I added a piece of pipe insulation as well. Put 300 miles on my Ranger driving to Fargo, ND and back. It stayed right where I placed it. No adhesive. Found the extra piece in my storage cabinet in the garage!
IMG_4810.jpeg
Sponsored