First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
This is the first US made vehicle I have owned that the window defrost is terrible. I remember back in the day Toyota could not figure out how dew points worked and the windows would never defrost.

It has been in the low 30s all day today in HTX and my defrost will not work properly unless on full blast and max heat. Even then it will only defrost part of the front door windows. Once it gets them about 1/2 way defrosted, it kicks into non-circulate mode and they start to fog back up. I have to continuously push the recirculate button to get them to start the defrost again. I drove for 2 hours today continuously battling the defrost window issue.
I have never had a US made vehicle give me this kind of trouble with what should be a simple task.

I guess there has to be one fault of an otherwise perfect truck and this is it!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
This is the first US made vehicle I have owned that the window defrost is terrible. I remember back in the day Toyota could not figure out how dew points worked and the windows would never defrost.

It has been in the low 30s all day today in HTX and my defrost will not work properly unless on full blast and max heat. Even then it will only defrost part of the front door windows. Once it gets them about 1/2 way defrosted, it kicks into non-circulate mode and they start to fog back up. I have to continuously push the recirculate button to get them to start the defrost again. I drove for 2 hours today continuously battling the defrost window issue.
I have never had a US made vehicle give me this kind of trouble with what should be a simple task.

I guess there has to be on fault of an otherwise perfect truck and this is it!!!!
I'm a native Houstonian living in Northern Colorado......that Houston humidity always drove my defroster nuts no matter what I was driving.....don't have that issue up here in the desert...lol.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Do you use the auto HVAC mode? That uses AC and heat to pull moisture and defrost.

One other thing here too. All plastics out gas. When new is when they’re at the peak for this. That transposes as a film on your glass. It is very difficult to get off with just window cleaner. There is a thread on here about cleaning glass and also dealing with your issue. Pretty sure that’s the root of your problem

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've never had an issue with it.

But I also live in a dryer climate and always have my windows cracked at a minimum, often times with the slider open.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine had that issue until I cleaned the inside of the windshield with invisible glass and scrubbed it. It had something on it from when it was new.. not like super dirty - no idea what it was on there. I cleaned whatever that was off and the defroster worked like magic the first time I kicked it on. Like literally; vanished. I see you have an 19' so I doubt that is the same issue, but for anyone with a new one - try that. It worked for me.

Edit: Might have been what Trigg was talking about. The plastic outgassing. So.... uhhh what he said.

Last edited:

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I cannot stand a dirty windshield on the inside. Since new I’ve done several vigorous cleanings of the front and side windows. I’m certain it’s a humidity thing considering HTX is pretty much a moist armpit!!! It’s been raining and humid all week. It may dry out tomorrow.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I cannot stand a dirty windshield on the inside. Since new I’ve done several vigorous cleanings of the front and side windows. I’m certain it’s a humidity thing considering HTX is pretty much a moist armpit!!! It’s been raining and humid all week. It may dry out tomorrow.
It will never dry out here. It just pretends too; heh. I stay on the far west side of town. Almost into Ft. Bend Co.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

I guess there has to be one fault of an otherwise perfect truck and this is it!!!!
NE Ohio. 0-20 degrees. 48 inches of snow the last 3-4 weeks.

No issue with the defrost or heat.

I would check your system. I cant keep heat on too long. Gets way too hot in the cab.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
My heat will roast me in below-zero temps. Quite a few people have reported problems with the housing and the moving parts in the HVAC system. If it’s not working right I would be looking hard at the entire system while it is still under warranty.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I just use the heated windshield button.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I think you want to avoid recirculate if you are attempting to control/reduce humidity levels. Run defrost and hit the A/C button. This will pull moisture out of the vehicle quicker. I get the impression this doesn’t happen automatically, because I get better results when I hit the (A/C) button.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Defrost or defog? Its less than 20 degrees here and just ran the Ranger for about 5 minutes, after it has sat all week, and the ice on it started melting. Was in auto mode, no ac. Another 5 while scraping the windows and they were clear enough to drive.
If they are fogged, need to turn off the recirculation.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Worst floor heat too.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My heat will roast me in below-zero temps. Quite a few people have reported problems with the housing and the moving parts in the HVAC system. If it’s not working right I would be looking hard at the entire system while it is still under warranty.
Funny you mention before warranty ends. I’m at 35,859 miles. Lol.
Sponsored