How I Modded a 22 Ranger Tremor With The Warranty in Mind!! -Ford Performance Tune (FPT) and JB4.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Anyone considering an 'in line' tuner would be well served from this vid.

A few caveats. YES I KNOW IT IS FOR DIESELS, however, the tune we're talking about in this thread works EXACTLY the same way as the 'inline' tuners that Gale is describing.

These days, the big diesel engines and our turbo gassers really aren't that far apart in operation except for the way the fuel is ignited. Lots of the same parameters come into play.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Gale banks tuning might be super conservative and not that great, but he is super smart. Definitely worth a watch.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Gale banks tuning might be super conservative and not that great, but he is super smart. Definitely worth a watch.
Yea, but most of his stuff isn't going to hurt the vehicle and is still emissions compliant. There's only so much you can do working inside those constraints.

5thranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20ranger
Occupation
driver
After 22 years daily driving a 99 XLT 3.0l 4x4 manual, I just had to get a new truck. When is better time than winter and a crashing used car market? Different story, different day. Point is I got it with 5000 miles stock.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a get out of Jail Card with a dealership or Ford. The idea is designed around Factory limits. If it fails to pass warranty it fails, and that is on the owner. This is a guide on how it could work if you wanted to try. If it does work out badly I will update the Thread. Cheers!!

Setup

JB4 package
Ford Procal 4 with tune. Best Prices is ever seen
AFE Rapid induction Intake. Open or closed design. HERE
AFE cover Here
AFE Scoop (Red). Looks cools and it is Tremor red like the trim color
Velossa Big Mouth Ram Here Why not. It did do a little better Mpg unit I didn't care any more.
MBRP 3" Stainless Catback exhaust Here
Go-fast recurring value

Going Beyond Rational

I always wanted to mod my 99 truck but it was just too reliable and not worth the money for power. So when I picked up the 2022 Ford Tremor I was Itching to do something. I never thought it would get this bad. Note that what I explain next is not a guarantee, but based on community knowledge. It could protect most of your warranty.

Buying the Jb4 was my first choice as it was the only one that doesn't expose the Vin to Ford as altered. Yes it has been hashed that the Ford Tune will be protected by Ford Performance. No, I don't trust anyone so JB4 it is. Yes, maybe.... if they check this.....do that.... it wouldn't work. Idea stands it is not detectable.

The Jb4 is a great option for getting the most out of the turbo. It adds big power compared to the Ford Tune and it is not close. I have not verified FPT over JB4 separately myself, but we have some numbers. I have my numbers here, and butt dynos matter. I'll get to it. The suite of options will keep you busy for some time IF you are that gut. Otherwise plug it in and go with minimal setup. Shout out to @Terry and the team at BMS. They probably hate me now. I am "THAT GUY" about needing to know everything I can. Now I'm giving it to you straight up. I'm still learning more so I'll likely continue updates.

This is no shill for cash!! I wanted to do this and get it out there for everyone interested. Also, I cut through the muck and haters, and got to the truth with Receipts.

Before we get in to the tune. If you go the JB4 route, do yourself a favor and buy the complete package with app. It is not a budget alternative and you'll miss out on most of the good stuff. There is much more than boost. It is whole platform.

Here is a Free Link!! If I had a Affiliate link I would have use it to pay for my sins and mistakes.

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-for-ford-ranger-ecoboost-and-raptor

Get:
JB4 module
BT connector
Jb4 App
- you need these

First off the JB4 at 93 Octane is good. see map 2 Results. (BMS data below) Not Mine

1712553677928-9f.png

The JB4 alone will smack the boost gauge in the face. Gear for Gear it is more fun but you have to be good with the response curve. Sport mode is recommend to get the best results. If you want that pass his ass on the highway ability. You can go JB4 solo. I wanted the transmission tuned and that's how I ended up in this.

The key here is adding Ethanol to the mix and proper JB4 setup. The 2.3l Ecoboost Ti-VCT system senses fuel quality automatically. It will advance timing in the presence of Ethanol or high octane fuel with out a custom tune. For that reason I can't support running Rot gut 87 octane for these motors. They need to run premium. For the power, the milage, Efficiency, and longevity. E30 blend fuel profile take advantage of the near Race fuel quality cheaply. Couple gallons of Flex fuel and some good 93 gas, you got a race motor. Just flush a tank of 93 ever so often to burn out residuals and keep it clean.

On E30 I can get JB4 running map 5 without major concerns. However, It was best in Map 3 or Map 4. Truth is the JB4 will push the turbo out to the Max all by itself. Map 5 targets 7 PSI over stock. The safety's feature help prevent issues and all the Factory Safety limits are in place> There are a lot of them BTW. BMS - Map4, Map 5 dyno number are above. ( E30). As you can tell the raw numbers are significant. It is noticed in the seat for sure. The torque is disgusting for a 4 banger pick up.

Ford Tune Dyno below. not my truck.

1712556308563-ji.png

A Ford tune is a complete Calibration package. While The Procal 4 is all of 2010 tech style, It is has every tool to monitor what you want. It has useful options you just can't get elsewhere. This Package gives you that nice response and crisp shifts from the Transmission. You can recalibrate Fuel trims and Relearn the Transmission module. Cool stuff people don't mention often. It is almost worth the money with out the tune voucher.

Note: to keep the Warranty on a FPT, be prepared to pay up to $500 To the dealer for installation.

Ok,OK, The Rub

I needed to know what a transmission calibration would do. It was eating at me like a rabid hound. My choice was custom or Ford Tune jb4 stack. I knew the Ford tune had obvious draw backs but it does maintain safety limits. The warranty and the peace of mind had me wondering how a stack would function. So here we go.

Stacking a JB4 on the Ford tune is NOT going get you 30 PSI ripping down the highway. Not because it can't ask for the power, rather it will likely destroy your engine or Max out the failsafe's. I have been past 25 Lbs for just a movement. unnerving. My failsafe in Jb4 is 25 PSI. Stock turbo is at the limit up there with diminishing returns. It is not efficent and dangerous. The ECU cuts throttle and pushes fuel in past 4500 rpm. It will run very rich down to about 10.5 AFR to protect the Cat. That is the tune limit. Other tunes can account for this in other ways and get you more top end for the warranty trade. What you get between the margins is fantastic!!

The Up Shot

Now this is fun part. The combination of the Jb4 and Ford Performance tune makes for a Rowdy, ROWDY!! Ranger!! at about 23-24 PSI max in Map 2, The Dyno Came back impressive for a setup that can pass emissions and SHOULD be warranty valid in 30 minutes or less.

-Stacked Dyno Jb4 & Ford Performance tune. FPT (RED) Map 2 (Blue) Map 3 (green). on E30 Fuel, 5th Gear pulls.

1712561051785-g0.png

At first glance it appears the stack is not much more powerful than the JB4 alone on Map 5. There are a lot questions marks about the comparability of these numbers. I had to do 5th gear pulls which is not 1 to 1 gearing. That would need 170-180mph in 7th. However, the meat is in the Low end and middle RPM Range. The consistent power delivery is seductive. I am confident something else can be down without major mods to improve the top end. Keep in mind there is power loss doe to gearing, my dyno numbers are likely average low.

The Butt Dyno speaks. with a simple Ford tune, a reset of the KAM learning on the Procal, a Jb4, and some shifty driving, this truck Eats!!. I will try and get the 0-60 numbers but I have Drag strip numbers for you all.

Note: I had never ran a Quarter mile before so my experience is zero and this is raw. I was spinning tires and make all kinds of mistakes.

Best effort at Capital Raceway Maryland - FPT+ JB4 Map2

14.324 - 1/4 mile
2.204 - 60 foot
6.077 - 330 foot
9.265 - 1/8 mile
11.994 - 1000 foot
96.85 MPH

The truck is topped out at the end of the race do the fuel dump, boost drop, heat, gearing or all of it. I still have a stock intercooler. Inside a 1000 foot, and down in the 330 foot area, nobody was touching the truck. Chargers, Naw, Coyote f-150, naw. Bimmer, Hell naw!!. I still have a lot of work to see if I am missing something but the reality is this truck moves point to point like bat out of hell.

it keeps sustained Torque curve between 350-384 from 3200RPM out to 4400RPM.
HP peaks at 4400RM. unlike the FPT tune sheet at 5600rpm max 284HP. It so strange in that way. The power just drops off at 4500rpm on paper. On the street you don't feel that much. But it is a whole ton of fun getting up the road. Still has all the Ford safety protocols and 10 gears use. I can pull the Jb4 tomorrow and nobody is going to tell short of a autopsy. (Maybe)

With out the JB4 I can't take advantage of E30 unless a custom tunes made. At 93 I can just run base FPT all day No problems or map 1 with JB4. I don't need to Flash a ECU every time I change Fuel or my mind. If I want the go fast feeling I hit the KILL button.

ALL this doesn't take into account that i am working out a User Map on the Jb4 known as Map 6. Defined by me, based on my needs. i could possibly work out deficiencies. The JB4 accounts for my E30 blend with a Fuel It Ethanol Sensor kit. I know also that it is not required to get similar results on E30.

If you already have a Ford Tune but want more and keep the Factory safety limits, this might be right for you.

The Monitoring and logging of the JB4 with all the options is amazingly convenient. There is built in Pedal mod that pulls the slack out of the pedal for better response in any mode. You can change maps per driving modes. example, say Map2 is D, Map 3 is Sport, or Map1 is tow mode. Perfect.

Bottom line is the stack is more fun, less worry, and runs faultlessly. I made 8 passes at the track in various configurations, never needed to step out of the truck. Logged and tuned on the fly. Between the JB4 and Ford Procal, I got all the info I needed. Air temps, Trans temps. boost, ecus known boost, DME requested Boost, AFR, Trims, just everything. Total control. Tomorrow I could pull the stuff off and pass emissions or do service work.

I may get itchy for something different in the future but I am on to more hardware. Intercooler, then possibly on to catted Downpipe. At that point I may move away from the combo. but I always want the Data logging and other JB4 features. I didn't even mention most of them. Yet. You want to run Method injection? Jb4 can control that for you. What else do you need?

Hope this is useful. Let the FUD begin.

1712553698104-ki.png
I am from Ford and I just love the modifications you might try 🤣 I am here to help you.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Anyone considering an 'in line' tuner would be well served from this vid.

A few caveats. YES I KNOW IT IS FOR DIESELS, however, the tune we're talking about in this thread works EXACTLY the same way as the 'inline' tuners that Gale is describing.

These days, the big diesel engines and our turbo gassers really aren't that far apart in operation except for the way the fuel is ignited. Lots of the same parameters come into play.

Yeah, then you see this in the news today:

Company to pay $1 million for violating federal laws with illegal vehicle modifications — here's why it matters (yahoo.com)

1712679855043-xe.png

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
OP
OP
DROZ23

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
Not sure what that has to do with this tuning discussion, other than Lots of those shops not only sold hard parts for emissions defeat but also tuning that was smokey to go along with it. It was only a matter of time before they got smacked down.
Yeah they did that to slight the Gov and tried to hide as Offroad only but marketed with intent to public road use. The Gov should leave us alone. 70+ of emission pollution is Commercial and one a fraction of personal car owners mod. I rather just pay a tax to make them feel ok with stealing my money.

Ripping all the emissions off and tune could give better Mpg than you save with the components. But they can't get paid off that way.

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
After 22 years daily driving a 99 XLT 3.0l 4x4 manual, I just had to get a new truck. When is better time than winter and a crashing used car market? Different story, different day. Point is I got it with 5000 miles stock.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a get out of Jail Card with a dealership or Ford. The idea is designed around Factory limits. If it fails to pass warranty it fails, and that is on the owner. This is a guide on how it could work if you wanted to try. If it does work out badly I will update the Thread. Cheers!!

Setup

JB4 package
Ford Procal 4 with tune. Best Prices is ever seen
AFE Rapid induction Intake. Open or closed design. HERE
AFE cover Here
AFE Scoop (Red). Looks cools and it is Tremor red like the trim color
Velossa Big Mouth Ram Here Why not. It did do a little better Mpg unit I didn't care any more.
MBRP 3" Stainless Catback exhaust Here
Go-fast recurring value

Going Beyond Rational

I always wanted to mod my 99 truck but it was just too reliable and not worth the money for power. So when I picked up the 2022 Ford Tremor I was Itching to do something. I never thought it would get this bad. Note that what I explain next is not a guarantee, but based on community knowledge. It could protect most of your warranty.

Buying the Jb4 was my first choice as it was the only one that doesn't expose the Vin to Ford as altered. Yes it has been hashed that the Ford Tune will be protected by Ford Performance. No, I don't trust anyone so JB4 it is. Yes, maybe.... if they check this.....do that.... it wouldn't work. Idea stands it is not detectable.

The Jb4 is a great option for getting the most out of the turbo. It adds big power compared to the Ford Tune and it is not close. I have not verified FPT over JB4 separately myself, but we have some numbers. I have my numbers here, and butt dynos matter. I'll get to it. The suite of options will keep you busy for some time IF you are that gut. Otherwise plug it in and go with minimal setup. Shout out to @Terry and the team at BMS. They probably hate me now. I am "THAT GUY" about needing to know everything I can. Now I'm giving it to you straight up. I'm still learning more so I'll likely continue updates.

This is no shill for cash!! I wanted to do this and get it out there for everyone interested. Also, I cut through the muck and haters, and got to the truth with Receipts.

Before we get in to the tune. If you go the JB4 route, do yourself a favor and buy the complete package with app. It is not a budget alternative and you'll miss out on most of the good stuff. There is much more than boost. It is whole platform.

Here is a Free Link!! If I had a Affiliate link I would have use it to pay for my sins and mistakes.

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-for-ford-ranger-ecoboost-and-raptor

Get:
JB4 module
BT connector
Jb4 App
- you need these

First off the JB4 at 93 Octane is good. see map 2 Results. (BMS data below) Not Mine

1712553677928-9f.png

The JB4 alone will smack the boost gauge in the face. Gear for Gear it is more fun but you have to be good with the response curve. Sport mode is recommend to get the best results. If you want that pass his ass on the highway ability. You can go JB4 solo. I wanted the transmission tuned and that's how I ended up in this.

The key here is adding Ethanol to the mix and proper JB4 setup. The 2.3l Ecoboost Ti-VCT system senses fuel quality automatically. It will advance timing in the presence of Ethanol or high octane fuel with out a custom tune. For that reason I can't support running Rot gut 87 octane for these motors. They need to run premium. For the power, the milage, Efficiency, and longevity. E30 blend fuel profile take advantage of the near Race fuel quality cheaply. Couple gallons of Flex fuel and some good 93 gas, you got a race motor. Just flush a tank of 93 ever so often to burn out residuals and keep it clean.

On E30 I can get JB4 running map 5 without major concerns. However, It was best in Map 3 or Map 4. Truth is the JB4 will push the turbo out to the Max all by itself. Map 5 targets 7 PSI over stock. The safety's feature help prevent issues and all the Factory Safety limits are in place> There are a lot of them BTW. BMS - Map4, Map 5 dyno number are above. ( E30). As you can tell the raw numbers are significant. It is noticed in the seat for sure. The torque is disgusting for a 4 banger pick up.

Ford Tune Dyno below. not my truck.

1712556308563-ji.png

A Ford tune is a complete Calibration package. While The Procal 4 is all of 2010 tech style, It is has every tool to monitor what you want. It has useful options you just can't get elsewhere. This Package gives you that nice response and crisp shifts from the Transmission. You can recalibrate Fuel trims and Relearn the Transmission module. Cool stuff people don't mention often. It is almost worth the money with out the tune voucher.

Note: to keep the Warranty on a FPT, be prepared to pay up to $500 To the dealer for installation.

Ok,OK, The Rub

I needed to know what a transmission calibration would do. It was eating at me like a rabid hound. My choice was custom or Ford Tune jb4 stack. I knew the Ford tune had obvious draw backs but it does maintain safety limits. The warranty and the peace of mind had me wondering how a stack would function. So here we go.

Stacking a JB4 on the Ford tune is NOT going get you 30 PSI ripping down the highway. Not because it can't ask for the power, rather it will likely destroy your engine or Max out the failsafe's. I have been past 25 Lbs for just a movement. unnerving. My failsafe in Jb4 is 25 PSI. Stock turbo is at the limit up there with diminishing returns. It is not efficent and dangerous. The ECU cuts throttle and pushes fuel in past 4500 rpm. It will run very rich down to about 10.5 AFR to protect the Cat. That is the tune limit. Other tunes can account for this in other ways and get you more top end for the warranty trade. What you get between the margins is fantastic!!

The Up Shot

Now this is fun part. The combination of the Jb4 and Ford Performance tune makes for a Rowdy, ROWDY!! Ranger!! at about 23-24 PSI max in Map 2, The Dyno Came back impressive for a setup that can pass emissions and SHOULD be warranty valid in 30 minutes or less.

-Stacked Dyno Jb4 & Ford Performance tune. FPT (RED) Map 2 (Blue) Map 3 (green). on E30 Fuel, 5th Gear pulls.

1712561051785-g0.png

At first glance it appears the stack is not much more powerful than the JB4 alone on Map 5. There are a lot questions marks about the comparability of these numbers. I had to do 5th gear pulls which is not 1 to 1 gearing. That would need 170-180mph in 7th. However, the meat is in the Low end and middle RPM Range. The consistent power delivery is seductive. I am confident something else can be down without major mods to improve the top end. Keep in mind there is power loss doe to gearing, my dyno numbers are likely average low.

The Butt Dyno speaks. with a simple Ford tune, a reset of the KAM learning on the Procal, a Jb4, and some shifty driving, this truck Eats!!. I will try and get the 0-60 numbers but I have Drag strip numbers for you all.

Note: I had never ran a Quarter mile before so my experience is zero and this is raw. I was spinning tires and make all kinds of mistakes.

Best effort at Capital Raceway Maryland - FPT+ JB4 Map2

14.324 - 1/4 mile
2.204 - 60 foot
6.077 - 330 foot
9.265 - 1/8 mile
11.994 - 1000 foot
96.85 MPH

The truck is topped out at the end of the race do the fuel dump, boost drop, heat, gearing or all of it. I still have a stock intercooler. Inside a 1000 foot, and down in the 330 foot area, nobody was touching the truck. Chargers, Naw, Coyote f-150, naw. Bimmer, Hell naw!!. I still have a lot of work to see if I am missing something but the reality is this truck moves point to point like bat out of hell.

it keeps sustained Torque curve between 350-384 from 3200RPM out to 4400RPM.
HP peaks at 4400RM. unlike the FPT tune sheet at 5600rpm max 284HP. It so strange in that way. The power just drops off at 4500rpm on paper. On the street you don't feel that much. But it is a whole ton of fun getting up the road. Still has all the Ford safety protocols and 10 gears use. I can pull the Jb4 tomorrow and nobody is going to tell short of a autopsy. (Maybe)

With out the JB4 I can't take advantage of E30 unless a custom tunes made. At 93 I can just run base FPT all day No problems or map 1 with JB4. I don't need to Flash a ECU every time I change Fuel or my mind. If I want the go fast feeling I hit the KILL button.

ALL this doesn't take into account that i am working out a User Map on the Jb4 known as Map 6. Defined by me, based on my needs. i could possibly work out deficiencies. The JB4 accounts for my E30 blend with a Fuel It Ethanol Sensor kit. I know also that it is not required to get similar results on E30.

If you already have a Ford Tune but want more and keep the Factory safety limits, this might be right for you.

The Monitoring and logging of the JB4 with all the options is amazingly convenient. There is built in Pedal mod that pulls the slack out of the pedal for better response in any mode. You can change maps per driving modes. example, say Map2 is D, Map 3 is Sport, or Map1 is tow mode. Perfect.

Bottom line is the stack is more fun, less worry, and runs faultlessly. I made 8 passes at the track in various configurations, never needed to step out of the truck. Logged and tuned on the fly. Between the JB4 and Ford Procal, I got all the info I needed. Air temps, Trans temps. boost, ecus known boost, DME requested Boost, AFR, Trims, just everything. Total control. Tomorrow I could pull the stuff off and pass emissions or do service work.

I may get itchy for something different in the future but I am on to more hardware. Intercooler, then possibly on to catted Downpipe. At that point I may move away from the combo. but I always want the Data logging and other JB4 features. I didn't even mention most of them. Yet. You want to run Method injection? Jb4 can control that for you. What else do you need?

Hope this is useful. Let the FUD begin.

1712553698104-ki.png
Very good !

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yeah they did that to slight the Gov and tried to hide as Offroad only but marketed with intent to public road use. The Gov should leave us alone. 70+ of emission pollution is Commercial and one a fraction of person care owners mod. I rather just pay a tax to make them feel ok with stealing my money.

Ripping all the emission off and tune could give better Mpg than you save with the components. But they can get paid off that way.
Kind of like JB4 has their disclaimer, but you know some people will use it for everyday driving.
jb4.png

Egg69

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Systems Analyst for Bonsall Unified School District
Kind of like JB4 has their disclaimer, but you know some people will use it for everyday driving.
jb4.png
Just some?🤣
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc