OP
OP
Bullet

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've been quoted $1200 from Ford dealership for Bilstein 5100 all four installation only - and $900 by a local shop.
Including material?
It seems a bit high but maybe only by a couple hundred bucks.

I’ve done this twice in my driveway and it took part of an afternoon. A shop did the alignment and I didn’t have to swap coils but I have a good understanding of the time involved.

A good shop should be able to do this in an hour per side, plus an hour for setting up and swapping the coils over. They would also have the proper press needed for working on coil overs, so that it’s fast, easy, and safe.

If they replace all the nuts Ford says to replace, it should be about $50 in parts. Then there are shop charges and the alignment. Here’s a breakdown…

Labour: $450 (3 hrs @ $150/hr)
Parts: $50
Shop Charges: $25
Alignment: $125

Total for the shop: $650

How much are they charging for the shocks? Parts are a big profit area for them. Their wholesale price on these might not be low enough to make the margins they do on other things so they may have jacked them up significantly. You might be able to do better if you get them to quote you labour only and buy the shocks yourself.
Your total for the shop @ 650 + 425 (material) + 75 (tax) = just shy of 1200. So that kinda answers my question. 1300 isn't too far off of the norm.
Sponsored

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Including material?

Your total for the shop @ 650 + 425 (material) + 75 (tax) = just shy of 1200. So that kinda answers my question. 1300 isn't too far off of the norm.
Nope just installation

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
They wanted to charge another $1,000 if you did the rears? Those are 2 bolts and 5 minutes each...with hand tools. You don't even have to remove the wheels. Hell you can replace the rears while the truck is sitting on the ground.

Talk about a shyster shop.

A smart business man would run a "pay for the fronts get the rears done for free" and make a killing.

Reactions: EJH

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I shopped around for my Eibachs front and rear- did the rears myself one afternoon and found a local shop to install the fronts with the factory spring swap + alignment for cash and I recall that being a little over $300. I was living in an area with a few shops and they got pretty competitive over price. That was four years ago 'pre-Covid.'
Sponsored