First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
I dont disagree - but the original problem should have happened either. These trucks are ALL still NEW. Hardly any are over 100k miles yet. I wont say the sky is falling, but if I ever buy another ford truck I will be working into my budget money for a new transmission within the first 5 years, and I wouldnt be surprised if I were to lose another engine.
I may have missed it, but what happened to your engine?
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I dont disagree - but the original problem should have happened either. These trucks are ALL still NEW. Hardly any are over 100k miles yet. I wont say the sky is falling, but if I ever buy another ford truck I will be working into my budget money for a new transmission within the first 5 years, and I wouldnt be surprised if I were to lose another engine.
Including your engine I think that makes 3. One modified, one death by negligence, and yours. A “ton” of engine issues? I don’t think so.

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I may have missed it, but what happened to your engine?
Not 100% sure. I traded the truck off instead of dealing with warranty & being without a truck for 3+ months. From what I gathered, something head gasket or cylinder wall related. It was drinking a tank of coolant per/1000 miles - no leaks on the ground, dumping white smoke though.

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Including your engine I think that makes 3. One modified, one death by negligence, and yours. A “ton” of engine issues? I don’t think so.
I know of one that was tuned, two that weren't, and mine. So 4 total in a very small sample size (there may be more). "Death by negligence" is far from the truth. If his head gasket was leaking by 90k miles, that isn't negligence on his part, its on Ford. These aren't Subaru's. Head gaskets should never fail. Ever. I don't need to spend my time convincing you, you'll find out soon enough if its reliable enough for you. There are countless EGR/turbo issues noted on this forum, and I don't think we've seen a transmission make it past 100k yet. Those are very bad statistics for a truck released in 2019. There won't be high mile rangers, unless people dump loads of cash into them to keep them running. I dont mean to be poo-poo-ing rangers - again - I loved mine. But its a problematic drivetrain and has no proven reliability. It does have proven failures though.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Cheaper to get an ESP that way you are covered for both.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I know of one that was tuned, two that weren't, and mine. So 4 total in a very small sample size (there may be more). "Death by negligence" is far from the truth. If his head gasket was leaking by 90k miles, that isn't negligence on his part, its on Ford. These aren't Subaru's. Head gaskets should never fail. Ever. I don't need to spend my time convincing you, you'll find out soon enough if its reliable enough for you. There are countless EGR/turbo issues noted on this forum, and I don't think we've seen a transmission make it past 100k yet. Those are very bad statistics for a truck released in 2019. There won't be high mile rangers, unless people dump loads of cash into them to keep them running. I dont mean to be poo-poo-ing rangers - again - I loved mine. But its a problematic drivetrain and has no proven reliability. It does have proven failures though.
Negligence. Ignored the warning lights, dumped coolant in. Probably wouldn’t have needed a motor. EGR cooler or head gasket repair. I guess I’ll find out Or trade for something newer when I’m ready. And now you state all of the transmissions fail before 100k. Sure.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I do not feel the 5g Rangers will live on the way the older Rangers do. I still see several older Rangers everyday. I think a person could point fingers in a lot of directions for problems with the 5g. I point mine at Ford dealers... The majority of the issues folks on r5g have discussed could = SHOULD have been fixed by the dealer under warranty without a run around. In several cases the run around is all customers got from dealers and from Ford.

HippoTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Gray Ranger Tremor
Negligence. Ignored the warning lights, dumped coolant in. Probably wouldn’t have needed a motor. EGR cooler or head gasket repair. I guess I’ll find out Or trade for something newer when I’m ready. And now you state all of the transmissions fail before 100k. Sure.
There are a huge number of 10R80s out there, it's not a Ranger-only transmission, so yeah, if they were *all* failing before 100k we'd know.

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
If you find me one that makes it past 100k without replacement, I'm all ears. So far there are 0 to my knowledge. Its a fast, fun, and capable truck. It isn't reliable.

NO VEHICLE should need a head gasket or EGR valve - for the life of the motor. Its commonplace here. Feel free to bury your head in the sand by all means - but dont deny the plethora of examples. I'd still have my ranger if the engine held together, but you shoulnd need to buy an ESP on a new vehicle as a guarantee. It should just work to 200k at least, with no problems.

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
There are a huge number of 10R80s out there, it's not a Ranger-only transmission, so yeah, if they were *all* failing before 100k we'd know.
You're right - the programming is obviously different on the ranger, and maybe that has to do with it. But on this forum, nobody has made it to or past 100k without a complete failure.

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
You're right - the programming is obviously different on the ranger, and maybe that has to do with it. But on this forum, nobody has made it to or past 100k without a complete failure.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/my-research-into-the-10r80-shift-strategy.26732/post-616181

This guy did.

I don't really think there are a lot of people with over 100k on a Ranger, period. Not because the trucks are dying, but because most people don't drive that much.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If you find me one that makes it past 100k without replacement, I'm all ears. So far there are 0 to my knowledge. Its a fast, fun, and capable truck. It isn't reliable.

NO VEHICLE should need a head gasket or EGR valve - for the life of the motor. Its commonplace here. Feel free to bury your head in the sand by all means - but dont deny the plethora of examples. I'd still have my ranger if the engine held together, but you shoulnd need to buy an ESP on a new vehicle as a guarantee. It should just work to 200k at least, with no problems.
Rant on. The numbers are low. Head gaskets? What one or two? You have no data to backup your comments. If you hate Ford and your Ranger move on. Enjoy your Toyota.

Last edited:

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed